Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love2gardennc

Regarding: Katie88

love2gardennc
15 years ago

I was asked to repost here by a Carolina gardener that Katie88 passed away on the 30th of Oct. I was informed of this by a call on the 6th of Nov. and asked to post on GW to let her many friends and traders know. Katie had been a wonderful friend to me and I miss her greatly. She and I met in 2003 I think and we became fast friends and traders.

I do not know what was the cause of her death but she suffered severely from schleroderma so her death was likely a complication from that.

There is an In Memory of Katie88 on the Seed Exchange conversations page.

Comments (9)

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Thank you for posting here.

Fran

• aezarien
    15 years ago

I didn't know that person but I am sorry to hear you lost your friend.

• DYH
    15 years ago

I didn't know her either. I am so sorry for your loss of a friend.

Cameron

• jeffahayes
    15 years ago

OMG! Is that the Katie who held the wonderful plant swap in Rutherfordton a couple years back???

I knew she was sick, but had NO IDEA she was THAT sick. She told me a bit about her scleroderma, but from what I gathered, it seemed to be more of a painful, than life-threatening sort of condition. She was not very old... in her 40s, I think, and a very sweet person.

I'm sorry when almost anyone dies, but if this is who I think it was, I'm doubly sorry -- for both her family and ours!
    Jeff

• countrygirlsc, Upstate SC
    15 years ago

Yes, Jeff, it was that Katie. That was the only time I met her (at the Rutherfordton swap) too. She was very generous and sweet...

• jeffahayes
    15 years ago

Gosh, Gail, I sure hate that.

We used to exchange emails sometimes, and she seemed to just sort of disappear not long after that plant swap... And I hadn't really been very active on GW since then, either, so I have no idea if she'd posted much since then, but when I did a search for her user name after I read the initial post, there wasn't anything in A LONG time.

I remember her telling me she was having more issues at the time, but I just had no idea. I guess we just never know...

• diggingdevil
    15 years ago

Jeff she had just updated her trade page 2 days before she passed.
    It is heart breaking to know we all lost such a sweet lady and friend.
    I had asked her if I helped her would she consider doing a another plant swap in the spring. I am glad I didn't make plans with her. I would have been so crushed if we had and then I lost a partner.
    I recently opened a email account I had been using prior to the one I have now and found and email she and I had talked on. It broke my heart all over again. I really miss her.
    I wish I had spent more time talking to her then I did.

Fran

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

OPPS I posted on the wrong screen name Jeff. That is the account my mom/son uses.

Thought I would clear that one up before you wondered who it was. Didn't realize my son logged on eariler and didn't sign out!

:) Fran

• jeffahayes
    15 years ago

I kinda figured out it was you, anyway, when you finished your post with "Fran," Fran. :)

At any rate, we both thought highly of Katie.

I actually hadn't talked much with her since shortly after that swap. I'm not one to be pushy, so I figured maybe she was just busy or wanted her privacy... Usually, if I send an email or two and don't get one back, I just don't send any more unless I have a specific reason (such as that I have something I think will be of specific interest to someone).

Sure is sad, though, to think that none of us will get the chance again.
    Jeff