Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do I have mistletoe?

Posted by lois PA Zone 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 17, 13 at 17:29

I took a closer look at the maple tree in the back yard with its poison ivy infestation, and I saw something else.

It looks like it is growing right out of the tree, but the leaves are definitely not maple like the tree. Could it be mistletoe? Its leaves look kinda like it. If so, how cool!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do I have mistletoe?

I do believe you have mistletoe. I want to "plant" more of it around where I'm at. Found a cluster on the ground last year with seeds attached. Probably not viable now. But I might try anyway. I have it growing in a plum thicket no more than 6 feet off the ground. Dad used to shoot it down out of the tall trees at home with a shot gun.

o

Yes that is mistletoe.

Chris, look at the link below on "planting" mistletoe.

"Dad used to shoot it down out of the tall trees at home with a shot gun."

My Dad used a 22 rifle to shoot it down, He was a really good shot, no brag just fact!

Here is a link that might be useful: mistletoe

o

• Posted by lsst 7b (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 18, 13 at 23:04

I thought mistletoe- if left to grow could eventually kill the host tree.

I have it growing on a hack berry tree and had planned on removing it this season to use for Christmas decorating.

If it will not hurt my tree, I will leave some of it and harvest it each Christmas season.

o

Yes, I have some here at the old house and it is up in the tops of the trees. I've got a lot of it around here. I hope there is some around the new house, I remember my uncle and Dad shooting it down with a shotgun too.

o

I don't think it will kill a healthy tree. Not for a long time, anyway. You can look it up.

Planting it is easy if you find the seeds. just tuck them in a crack in the bark somewhere. can secure with a little glue if need be. Or wrap with masking tape or something that won't keep the water out. I have wild Bradford pears that I want to get it going in.

o

"I thought mistletoe- if left to grow could eventually kill the host tree."

Yes it can kill it, if it has a lot of it on it. A healthy tree with a few sprigs will be OK.

After all, it is a parasite. It is taking nutrients from the tree.

o

Yes that is certainly mistletoe. I came from northern California where it ONLY grows on large deciduous oak trees. When I moved here nine years ago I was totally surprised to find a mini clump growing out of a hickory tree in my front yard at eye level. The mistletoe died a few years later. A local said it was common to see it in hickory trees here. I had no idea it would grow from other trees.

o

Mistletoe growing is a sign that tree was weak already and vulnerable to parasite. Removing visible part will not really help. Tree may still live several years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here