Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gyozu

Can I grow a Century Plant (Agave) In Winston

gyozu
15 years ago

As is my habit, I bought a plant without checking if it will survive in the Winston-Salem area. It is a Century Plant which is one of the massive Agaves that grow down in the Carolina Beach area.

My reading suggests it might, but is anyone in this area growing one?

Thanks

Comments (6)

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

I am growing one of two that were purchased from Plant Delights Nursery about 5 years ago here in Kernersville. I tried looking up the cultivar name on PD current offerings but don't see it listed anymore. The ones I purchased were named Coahuiliu or something along those lines (I know I butchered the name!) One of the two agaves died after about two seasons in the ground but the other one has survived the entire time and has pups that need removing and transplanting. The one that died was sitting in a lower spot in the garden and died one winter I am sure from sitting in too much water.

One thing I can note is that you should mound plant agaves so they don't sit in water over the winter or they will rot. Planting in a full sun site can't hurt and making sure the soil they are in has good drainage is key. I also mulched mine with gravel to aid in drainage. When I transplant this spring I am going to mound plant even higher to insure their continued survival. The one surviving original plant hasn't gotten huge over the years but has been prolific in producing pups.

Whether the one that you purchased will survive or not depends on the specific variety you purchased. Take a look at the listings on PD website to see if you recognize the variety you have and the hardiness ratings that are listed.

{{gwi:590330}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant Delights

• dottie_in_charlotte
    15 years ago

I had a blue agave I bought from a local garden center and planted it in a large shallow clay planter although not in full day sun. I just love the imprints on the backs of the leaves of the prior leaves.
    Anyway, it probably would have survived had it been in full sun. The cold did it in because it was well drained.
    So pick your garden spot carefully (and trim off those dangerous pointy tips).

• laurabs
    15 years ago

Some are hardy in NC. PDN tests them, so if Tony says they'll grow in 7b, that's because they are growing in his gardens here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Agave flexispina (Hardy Century Plant)

• laurabs
    15 years ago

This cool one is hardy in zones 5-9!

If you have your heart set on a varigated one, I think you'll have more trouble finding that.

Here is a link that might be useful: Agave havardiana

• laurabs
    15 years ago

This varigated beauty is good in zones 8-10, so depending on your microclimates, it might make it. I can tell you they are mesmerizing in the greenhouse with their perfect symmetry, sized to just fill their 4 inch pots, in row after row after row of vivid color.

Here is a link that might be useful: Agave lophantha 'Quadricolor'

• gyozu
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the information and the link to PD. After looking over the varieties available, I think I probably have the var. Protoamericana "Blue Steel".

I agree that it will need a raised bed for optimum growing conditions.

Any sugestions as to how to make up a proper soil mix for that bed? I am guessing a gravel sand mix, but what else should I put in the mix?

Following are a couple of pictures of the plants as bought. About 5 or 6 plants in the pot. Guess I have some trading stock after I separate and repot.

{{gwi:590332}}

{{gwi:590334}}

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting