Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deirdre_2007

'Thankful' that I have fresh herbs

deirdre_2007
15 years ago

I just wanted to say that I giggled all the way out to my patio and back, as I snipped Sage, Thyme, Parsley and Rosemary from my very own garden. This is the first year I didn't have to pay an arm and a leg and give up my first born child to have fresh herbs to make my Thanksgiving dinner. I worked it out and I think I spent the equivalent of $11.00 an ounce last year for each herb.

In this economy, I'm ever so glad that I can save some money in every way I can.

I hope everyone had a safe and happy Thanksgiving.

Comments (4)

• carolinabluesky
    15 years ago

I know what you mean. The flavor is better than anything you can buy and the price of fresh herbs is out of my budget. Have you tries making rubs and marinades?

• rootdiggernc
    15 years ago

Ditto here. My future DIL and I had a nice cozy chat while we were snipping and cutting too. We were both smelling our hands while handling them, nice and relaxed and doing the ahhhhhhh, yummy thing while we worked, lol... They smelled so good and tasted wonderful!

• Brian_M2
    15 years ago

This is truly a wonderful thing about living in this zone. I have all that you have, plus spearmint, chives and French tarragon (I can't remember but I think this is the only one that's completely dormant in mid-winter, I could be wrong)...I really hate spending money for this stuff when I can just run out the back door and grab some!

• deirdre_2007
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have not made any rubs or marinades yet, but I've added my herbs, including my basil which has since passed on, to practically everything I made for dinner all summer long. Next year, I'll plant a few more herbs, but I'm still deciding what to plant.

Oh, I love the smell of my hands and my kitchen any time I cut up the fresh herbs. It's permeates the whole house practically. I don't think I can ever go back to buying the store-bought "fresh" herbs. Let's cross our fingers, that I never have to resort to that again!

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County