Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cauliflower success story

Posted by ncdirtdigger 7b (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 14, 11 at 22:00

I've tried to grow cauliflower a couple times with no success, so when I had success this fall I thought I'd share my story. I started my seeds back on June 16th. I transplanted them to the garden on August 6th. According to the seed package they should have been ready for harvest on or about October 8th. They were actually ready this past weekend and I had some for dinner tonight. I cut them into flowerlets, put them in a baggie with some finely chopped creole garlic and olive oil and coated them thoroughly. I put them in a preheated oven at 400 and turned them after 10 minutes and then let them cook another ten minutes. I plated them up and added salt, pepper and parmesan cheese. Absolutely wonderful tasting and well worth the effort.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cauliflower success story

Yay! I've always been afraid to start them that early, like there would be too many high heat days left in the year for a winter crop plant. This may work with all sorts of cool season plants. Thanks for the info.

o

Good job! I gave up trying to grow it after too many failures. Your recipe got me hungry. I know it's not going to taste as good as your garden fresh, but I'm going to buy some tonight and cook it like you said.

o

Congratulations! Cauliflower is one of the more difficult vegetables to grow in our area. I bought plants from Campbell road Nursery here in Raleigh in September and they are just beginning to form small heads. I have wire hoops over them already and will add frost cloth and plastic when needed to prevent them from freezing. My biggest challenge with starting these plants so early (in addition to the heat) is insects. How did you keep them from being devoured by the slugs and caterpillars?

o

Even up North I had problems keeping the aphids off them.
They get on every orifice, most you can't see until you start cutting the florets and the honeydew attracted the fungus like we get down here on crape myrtles.

o

Ralph, I planted cilantro as a companion plant (to ward off grasshoppers) and applied some BT when I saw signs of catepillar damage.

I only wish I could grow cilantro at the same time my peppers and tomatoes are ready for salsa making. :)

Dottie, I think down here they flower well beyond the time aphids are a problem (too cold).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here