Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hardscaping in sand hill

Posted by butterfly4u 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 1, 12 at 0:20

Well, I spread 10 tons of stones for a driveway
which is quite big, it took me 2 seperate years.
It was alot of work but it looks nice.
now I have the side of the house that leads around
to the front to do something with.
i have sand. Like the beach, only no beach.
My lot is wooded. In the fall and spring, I get alot
of pine straw and leaves from the scrub oaks falling
in this area. UGH.
At first i thought mabey white pea gravel, which would be
different from the blue toned stones that are the driveway.
Then I thought of all the leaves and weeds growing through and how it's a PITA to remove it from the driveway, especially in the 100 degree heat in the summer.
THen I thought mabey centipede grass. i would put those pavers from HD down as a walkway and have grass on the rest of the area.
It would be alright, but I would have to mow it, in the heat. UGH.
Any other ideas?
i would be doing this myself by the way, and I have some
physical limitations. Like I don't want to use power tools, they scare me. If it's real heavy, I have to do it slow LOL.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hardscaping in sand hill

Sweetie, not ignoring you just don't have enough info and details about your side yard to make suggestions.

I will say that at this new old house of mine the lawn is planted with centipede and it grows well in decent soil (don't know about sand) but not tightly enough to choke out weeds.
It does have a controlled vertical growth so you mow less frequently and it's easy to skive off with a hoe as I learned when making a veg. garden. Nothing came back up from the bits of roots cut off and left in the soil.
Mine gets mowed whether it needs it or not only 2x a month so that's not too much hassle.
I think I'd start with the stepstones you can always move or reposition later as you grow more ideas how you want it to look. Not pavers really, just larger stepping stones if anything.

o

Dottie, good idea.
I will put the stepping stones down and take it from there.
Mabey I will plant centipede, but i would have to wait til spring anyway,
After I place the stepping stones down, I will post pic.
THen you will get an idea on the area I am talking about.

o

Looking forward to it, butterfly4u. Seasons Greetings!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here