Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marthaye

Rufus hummingbird at the feeder 12/6/09

marthaye
14 years ago

We spotted a HB yesterday at the feeder. I was preparing to take it down. I have never seen this particular HB before

but, I am delighted to have him here.

I live in Moore in the foot hills of SC. I would like to know if others still have HB. Also you may want to keep nyour feeders out and fresh.

Comments (17)

• hosta200
    14 years ago

Lucky you! I've left my feeders up other years in hopes of atracting winter hummers with no luck. Here in Raleigh most of the salvias and other flowers just got hit by frost this past week, so I've really been watching for them to come to the feeder. You may want to contact the Hilton Pond center and let them know about your sighting.
    http://www.hiltonpond.org/ResearchHummerVagrantMain.html

• zigzag
    14 years ago

Yes, Martha, you are lucky! I've never had any other than the ruby throats and they jump ship 'bout mid September. I've always envied the posters in the Southwest who have hoards of various types.

• marthaye
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hosta 2000, Zigzag
    Thank you for the suggestion. I called hilton pond. If the HB continues to come Bill plans to come and banned it. He recorded one in Rock Hill SC that returned for 5 years.
    Hopefully this will all work out. I will keep you posted.
    Martha

• zigzag
    14 years ago

My routine has been to put the feeders out a bit early, like in early to mid-March (with red ribbons to attract) and wait them out. I dump a lot of nectar - LOL!

Still only ruby throats from June or so, thru the summer then a feeding frenzy August to mid September. I'm further north, so siting a Rufus would be a real treat!

Martha, what did you mean by " If the HB continues to come Bill plans to come and banned it." Was that a typo, or am I just dense?

• dottie_in_charlotte
    14 years ago

I think Martha was referring to Bill coming to band the hummingbirds leg and report the sighting.

• zigzag
    14 years ago

Thanks, Dottie - that makes sense! (and in my post above, it should read 'sighting' not 'siting' - my brain is really turning to oatmeal these days!)

• marthaye
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Spelling has never been my strong point. Thank you for clearing that up. He was spotted again today.

Martha

• lsst
    14 years ago

I am a little down the road from you towards Greenville and I spotted a hummer about a week ago.
    I was so surprised but then having roses blooming until a couple of days ago is unusual, too.
    It sure has been an unusual fall.

• marthaye
    Original Author
    14 years ago

http://www.hiltonpond.org/ResearchHummerVagrantMain.html

Bill from hilton pond came this am to catch and band the Rufus HB. He stated that pictures taken will be on his sight late.r His address is at the top of this message. Thanks hosta for the information on getting in touch with Bill.
    This was such a treat. I believe we get gifts and this was my gift. Bill id him as a male Rufus HB. It is very rare to have in this area. His size seems even smaller when seen up close.
    Lucky me!
    Martha

• lsst
    14 years ago

How fun!
    Can you see the band from a distance?

• lsst
    14 years ago

I see where a Rufus is a western Hummimngbird.
    That is rare here!
    I have never seen one before. You are lucky!

• zigzag
    14 years ago

Wow, that is great! Maybe he's a scout checking out global warming in the Southeast for a potential new stomping ground. It would be neat to have two varieties!

• hosta200
    14 years ago

He's beautiful! Boy, it didn't take too long to get him banded. Glad it all worked out. Here's the link with pictures.

http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek091201.html

• zigzag
    14 years ago

I just read the story on the Hilton Pond site (as shown above, compliments of hosta200) - what a super story! Martha, you must be so thrilled and what an honor to now be a part of official hummingbird history in the Carolinas! :o)

• marthaye
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The Rufus Hummingbird continues to stay and feed here. I am enjoying his visits and glad to see him well and feeding each day. He seems to have taken our extreme weather in stride.

Martha

• zigzag
    14 years ago

Ding, ding, ding ! That is so great, Martha! Keep him happy and maybe his gps will point him (or his flock-mates) in my direction someday!

• rootdiggernc
    14 years ago

Aww, read the article and that is so sweet!

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville