Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twisted_limbz

Longest blooming into fall/winter plant?

twisted_limbz
16 years ago

What would you vote in your garden this year as the plant that just wouldn't stop blooming? My vote goes for my Aster x frikartii 'Monch' which started blooming in early summer, sending up clouds of pale purple/blue blooms non stop, and even now tho it looks bedraggled is still trying to send up more blooms! It really was/is a champ in the bloom department for me!

Any votes from your garden?

Comments (11)

• karen__w z7 NC
    16 years ago

Indigofera amblyantha is always the longest bloomer for me, going non-stop from March to Nov.

• keithrnjd
    16 years ago

My Knockout roses were blooming until the hard frost last week, as well as a salvia I recently planted from PDN. Also I have a Dianthus blooming now.

Sally

• Dibbit
    16 years ago

My 2 recently purchased double Knockouts were blooming when I got them just before Thanksgiving - the freeze about 2 weeks ago (down to 19) did the blooms in, the leaves are still hanging in there. My Sheffield Pink mums, while not starting to bloom until late (Sept.-Oct.), were still trying to open the last few buds last week - another freeze (only 24!) finally did them in. Since I did almost NO watering this summer - 'thought my well was running out, but the pump was burning out instead, with much the same results, little or no water for long - so I can't really judge what might have done better. I have a semi-bushy, red salvia, which was a nameless gift, which was still flowering sporadically last week as well - I haven't been round that side of the house to look at it this week.

• jqpublic
    16 years ago

I have a clematis that still has a flower blooming. I think its confused. It is Clematis "Elsa Spath"

• Ralph Whisnant
    16 years ago

My Abutalon megapotamicum blooms almost year round and seems unphased by the recent 20 F here in Raleigh.

• trianglejohn
    16 years ago

You know Ralph, I have one of those larger Abutilons, the one called Canary Bird I think, kinda pale yellow flowers. That thing is outside in a pot, only slightly sheltered by a bale of straw and it is unfazed by the recent frosts! No flowers currently but not a single leaf has dropped. And to think I babied it for years, hauling it in an out every winter.

• tamelask
    16 years ago

my marion stewart was blooming right up until that last hard freeze, and actually still has green leaves on it. but i think the flower buds finally bit the big one. it does eventually go dormant.

my longest blooming is probably the red cascade rose. i haven't checked since the last freeze, but it was loaded with bloom before that, and has had blooms nearly continuously since spring, even with the drought (i don't water it). the pink and yellow honeysuckle blooms most of summer, all fall and continues to half the winter for me, too. and my dortmund rose, until the freeze, had been blooming a few flowers nearly continuously since october. it's loaded with yummy hips i need to harvest now they're getting soft.

• Ralph Whisnant
    16 years ago

I also have a coral honeysuckle (L. sempervirens?) that has half a dozen flowers on it right now. It has had at least a few flowers on it almost continuously since last spring, but has never been a heavy bloomer. Next to it I have a hybrid (probably L. x heckrottii) that is also evergreen and has flower buds but not producing flowers at the moment. The latter came from one of the '06 flower swaps and has profuse fragrant flowers in the spring and early summer.

• tamelask
    16 years ago

ralph, my coral honeysuckle has some blooms on it probably 10 or 11 months out of the year. i sort of forget it 'cause it's at the edge of the property. it does have one really heavy flush in early to mid spring where there are so many flowers the whole thing is red. so pretty. maybe yours just needs to mature some- i don't think mine started flushing the first few years.

• ggwrn
    16 years ago

I have a small Arizona Sun blanket flower that I bought at Lowe's for $1. It still has two blooms on it. My pineapple sage blooms lasted later than they ever have. They were blooming up until a couple weeks ago.

Ginger

• brenda_near_eno
    16 years ago

Salvia greggii, especially Maraschino