Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomatomike

Source for sweet onion seeds

tomatomike
15 years ago

Last year I paid alot of money at Lowes for two types of onion plants- one called Texas Sweet and the other advertised as "a Vadalea type Granex". I don't recall what it was called. In past years I had grown onions from sets. Both types of the plants were far better in size, taste and storage than the sets from my previous years. I thought this year to start my own plants in January and save money. I have tried to locate seeds that sound like what I had with little luck. Does anyone here grow onions from seed and can they recommend a source and types of sweet onions?

Comments (3)

• tamelask
    15 years ago

I know pinetree carries onion seeds. I believe it's superseed.com. They are in maine, and i've not grown onions from seed, but i have had great luck with their other seed offerings.

I know logan's carries several types of sets in the spring in addition to the more typical red, white and yellow.

• trianglejohn
    15 years ago

I remember reading a post on one of the farming or vegetable forums here on GW about getting better onions if you grow them from seed. Something about most onions being biennials so when started from seed they size up their first year and don't even try to bloom, whereas if you plant 'sets' you're starting the year with year-old plants that will size up and get ready to bloom which makes them not store as well or something...

I know that once in my life I sowed some seeds and got plants but it was so long ago I don't know what happened after that or what kind of onion they were.

I also noticed the Logan's in downtown Raleigh has a few seed packets along with onion sets.

• draftmule
    15 years ago

Hello all, my first post. Mike, I like to follow the practices of professional growers as much as I can. So with this in mind, and speaking in generalities,the starting of onion seed is a completely different process that has its own unique set of requirements etc. Most professional onion growers do not grow their plants from seed or sets, but rather by plants. They purchase small plants in bulk and then set them out by machine to ensure a high yield harvest. This does not mean that it cannot be done, it just means it has its own in's and out's. I have grow from seed, set and plant, and the best harvest was from plant. If you would like to grow them from seed you must start with the best seed you can find and make sure you have the right day type, for North Carolina that would mean Short Day or Day Neutral, I have used Park Seed in the past with good results. I would not recommend any seed bought from a hardware store, or home improvement center, this seed is usually second rate. Also you will need to start the seed green house style, in other words, indoors or in a green house, start with good soil in a deep flat, and a cover for moisture control. Do not over water, and get as much sunlight, or balanced artificial light as possible, metal halides are best, but balanced grow lights will work. For fertilizer use a 30% strength 10-20-10 "dissolved in water" for the seedlings. Get things started so that the plants are ready for transplant around the end of Feb. Also you want to keep the leaves cut back to about 2". Or you can do what I do, order plants from Dixondale Farms, they will arrive at the right time and are of high quality and good price.
    Hope this helps

DraftMule