Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
casalester

sources of cover crop seeds (oilseed/forage radish)

We are considering using some cover crops to improve soil in a number of beds under development. The beds are in part shade and we have identified three candidates: annual crimson clover (Trifolium incarnatum), oilseed/forage radish (Raphanus sativus var oleiferus/oleiformis), and buckwheat (Fagopyrum esculentum). Crimson clover has some ornamental value so its seeds are easily available in small packets online. There are reports that the buckwheat product sold in bulk at health food stores is mostly viable seeds and can be used for planting. This leaves oilseed/forage radish. Any recommended sources of small quantities online or local? Also, general comments on practical experiences with cover crops as soil improvement welcome.

Comments (14)

• trianglejohn
    9 years ago

I only used Austrian Peas and Rye Grass in the past. I bought the seed in bulk at Logans. I don't know if they carry it all the time and I don't remember what time of year I bought it. The peas were kind of eye-opening in the way they grew all winter long even through all the hard freezes we had last year. Logan's seed area is kind of cramped so you'll need to ask them about where the cover crop seed is. They may have the crimson clover in packets and in bulk (they have in the past).

• CasaLester RTP, NC (7b)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We can answer the oilseed radish part after more research and discovering that many online suppliers sell it as a popular variety Groundhog. Tillage radish is another good keyword. 1 lb (including shipping) will cost already between $10-15.

Another popular cover crop with large roots for "organic tilling" turns out to be Mammoth Red Mangel Beet, also sold in smaller amounts by many online suppliers.

Local sources should be even cheaper, especially for quantities in the pound range, so they are worth exploring. Thanks, John, for the Logan lead.

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    9 years ago

Casa, I don't know where you are located, but there should be a nearby feed and seed store?

I have 3 or 4 within 10 miles of my house. Greenville county SC.

All of them sell crimson clover in bulk really cheap. You can buy a few ounces, pounds, or 50 lb. bags. I bought a 50 lb. bag in August of last year and it was only $29. You will pay about $4 a lb. + shipping if you order it online or from a catalog.

• rwittmer
    9 years ago

I bought these crimson clover seeds in October and are doing well in my raised beds, except that the rabbits are also enjoying them!

Here is a link that might be useful: Amazon link for crimson clover

Original Author
    8 years ago

One year after coming up with this idea, we have our first crop of tillage radish (killed recently by the sub-20 frosts). On an average 10 in root, 6 in are below ground in a highly compacted, unamended clay bed that was tilled 4 in deep. So we achieved about 2 in more penetration by organic tillage.

• Sabji garden (7b), Raleigh NC
    8 years ago

are these radish edible too??

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    8 years ago

Yes they are good too.

8 years ago

Wertach, Thanks I do love radish.

Original Author
    8 years ago

While these radishes look like the Japanese daikon (literally "big root") varieties, the seeds sold in bulk as cover crops are labeled as "forage", "tillage", or "oilseed" radish, so there is no guarantee whatsoever regarding the culinary suitability of a particular batch. Also, in the context of the soil improvement application, it is highly preferable not to harvest the roots but to let them decay in the soil.

So if someone is interested primarily in a culinary application, they would be well advised to seek out the seeds sold as vegetables not cover crops and explicitly marketed as "daikon".

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    8 years ago

I thought they were "daikon"....... They are good! Sorry!

8 years ago

Wertach,

No need to apologize!!

Not all tillage radish will be edible, as these are bred for a different purpose.... loosening the soil and hence left in the ground.

These may be "bitey", or tough/ fibrous and hence not edible.

What I understand is you can try eating but it may not be as crunchy or mild like Daikon radish.

• nancyofnc
    8 years ago

If you are near RTP then it is maybe not a terribly long trip to Burnette's Seed and Feed in Louisburg. It is around the corner next to Moss Foods at the intersection of 401 and Hwy 56, 810 S. Bickett. They also do DMV so the signs are easier to find than the store name. They have Mason jars with a variety of loose flower and vegetable seeds, barrels of raw peanuts to grow your own, huge bags of seed corn, cover crop seeds, and such, and a variety of "farmer" seeds by the ounce or pound. A few years ago I bought rape and mustard seed mixed for a green manure crop, 2 ounces, about $.75. Enough for 1/4 acre. It is fun place to go - like stepping back in time to the '40's, even though it is just a little shop, with very sweet owners. They also have wonderful transplants of vegetables when the weather warms - grown locally by real farmers and for cheap. If you get over that way, visit Moss Foods - a creaky but wonderful place to experience where you can watch through the glass their butchers (full time young employees) cutting up fresh meats and poultry, and rounds of local cheeses, also all for cheap. There I buy unsweetened finely shredded coconut in plastic baggies of weighed sizes that they do up themselves, and other things the big stores would not even consider handling without fancy packaging and yelling labels from conglomerates.

Just up the road(401) is Smith's Town & Country Supply that also has Mason jars of seeds and a huge selection of real farm stuff, lots of it for horses, cows, poultry, and goats. I used to buy my floating catfish food there when I had a pond.

Closer to you there is Carpenter Farm Supply in Morrisville. Haven't been there in years but you could call to see if they have what you need in bulk or if they can order it for you. That's another "step back in time" place with wood floors and a pot belly stove, old timey implements hanging from the rafters. At least that was true 10 years ago, but times and Morrisville have changed, oh my!

Yes, you can buy stuff on-line but visiting historic seed and feed shops that cater to real farmers more than makes up a fun day of adventure. Shop local!

8 years ago

Nostalgia indeed!!