Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wrought Iron Bed Frame as a pea support

Posted by deirdre_2007 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 1, 08 at 15:38

Okay, I'm new to veggie gardening, but after the huge success of my tomatoes and herbs this year, I plan on venturing into some veggies next year. I plan on doing some peas, lettuces and broccoli in addition to my herbs and tomatoes.

I will be planting everything in self-watering containers. I know the peas need support and me being, er frugal for lack of a nicer word, I was thinking of using a Queen size wrought iron bed frame, (scrolled with intricate designs) as a plant support.

I'm hoping someone who has a lot more experience and wisdom could advise me on whether this is a "mad hatter" plan, or "quite brilliant". Obviously I'm hoping for the latter.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wrought Iron Bed Frame as a pea support

My vote is 'Quite Brilliant' :)

You may want to add some string or jute for the plants to grab on to where you have empty spots or where the iron is maybe to thick for them to wrap/grab. For several years we've used fence post with netting in between and it's easy to wind up and put away when we're done with it. We do ours down the middle of a raised bed so we can pick from both sides and then plant spring salad veggies (lettuce, spinach, radish, beets, etc... around the bottom in front of the peas. Makes for a yummy salad bed!

o

Thank you. I'll continue on with my plan then. I'll try to remember to post pictures in the Spring.

o

I vote "brilliant", too.
By using a wrought iron headboard or footboard, you are incorporating artwork into an otherwise boring vegetable garden.

o

My yard is not the sunniest so peas tend to stretch pretty far to get the sunshine they need. Mine get at least head high (I'm 5' 10"). So you might want to figure out a way to raise up the bed frame and run strings down to the baby peas so that they can find their way up to it. Also, I wouldn't expect to see the bed frame once the peas get going because they tend to overwhelm anything they climb on.

I usually pre-soak my peas (I grow all the edible peas as well as sweet peas which are poisonous) and sow them starting in January and into February as well as Nasturtiums. Lettuce and other greens get started inside the house at any time over the winter and moved outside in early March. I usually don't get peas to eat until early June and by then the lettuce has bolted except for what I grow inside on the windowsill or under lights.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here