Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
transplanted2scin07

Nasty Green Briar - Smilax rotundifolia

Do any Carolinians out there have any great ideas on getting rid of Green Briar? I suspect this prickly stuff spreads by underground runners so clipping it with my pruners will probably be a waste of my time. The entire back line of my property is infested with this horrid plant.

Round-up, used carefully, would probably help, but the idea of trying to keep this pesticide on only the unwanted plants seems a bit far-fetched and unfortunately there are many wanted plants growing in, around and under the tangle of briar.

Is it possible there's an easier way?

Comments (22)

• Lynda Waldrep
    16 years ago

It is indeed awful. Round-up does not do much good. Some people dig it out, but as you have found out, that is a chore. Some "old timers" told me that, cutting it back year after year, would eventually deprive it of enough chlorophyl to continue. And that is what I have done, and it has worked for me. Of course, it took about five years! I have seven ac., and I am gradually getting it eliminated. The same has been true for me for poison ivey...Round-up doesn't work unless you get it each year for quite a few years. This is gardening for the patient gardener. Too bad I waited until I was 60 to start this hobby!!

• Iris GW
    16 years ago

Yep, same story here. Moved into a place in 2003 and could hardly walk through the back yard (the previous owner left it all alone)the vines were so thick. First year, spent every weekend working on sections until I had cut it all to the ground and pulled it out of the trees. Chopped it into stick sized pieces and filled up those large brown yard waste bags. 30 of them in one year. I didn't even want to compost it.

Be aware - there are several different kinds of smilax. I don't know the scientific names, but one has very smooth "bark" with occasional medium thorns. Underground it spreads by bamboo looking runners. Keep pulling and you can sometimes pull it all up (it can be shallow). It's root is very knotty. Another one is thin and has lots and lots of tiny prickles especially where it goes into the ground. That one's root is a tuber and I have dug up many of them the size of baked potatoes! Dig it out and it's history. Easier to dig after a rain. The third one that I have has almost scaly "bark" and the thorns are large and vicious. I have not figured out the root structure.

Anyway, cutting everything to the ground makes a big difference. Either not all of them grow back or they don't grow back at the same rate. Now as I plant things throughout the property, I end up digging up roots here and there. Very manageable this way.

Agree with ncrescue, this is patient gardener work.

• razorback33
    16 years ago

I have had success in cutting the vines at ground level each year or whenever I find one growing on the property.
    After a while, they don't return. If left undisturbed, some species can develop very large rhizomes over the years, which are very difficult to remove. It is a never ending chore, as their berries are an important source of food for birds & wildlife.
    There are about 20 species in NA, 15 or 16 of those are present in the SE. Thankfully, not all of those are found in any one geographical area. Check the link below for species description and distribution.
    I grow one species as an ornamental potted plant, Smilax pumila(Sarsparilla vine), which I collected on one of Georgia's barrier islands. It has no thorns or prickles. produces red berries and has very attractive bronze foliage in the winter. It primarily spreads on the ground or have observed some in a short, upright habit. It is also very drought tolerant, which is a very important attribute in my neighborhood! :Rb

Here is a link that might be useful: Smilax in FNA

• transplanted2scin07
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you, thank you, thank you! It may take time but at least I now know there is hope!

• Hollyclyff
    16 years ago

This year the deer have really been eating the briars in my woods down to the ground. That's one plant I hope they continue to consume!
    Dana

• nill_t_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I knew this devil-plant was causing other people besides just me to lose their mind. I have worked for a solid year cutting, spraying, digging, pulling, tilling, raking, burning, and spraying some more and its the only thing that's left on my hill still growing! I wish I had a massive bull-dozer that could scrape it all away. Is it possible to completely kill the stuff without having to pull out all of the roots by hand? I want to plant grass and bushes where it is but it won't allow anything else to grow because there are so many roots. I am also majorly allergic to it and stay broken out all spring and summer. I'll try any helpful tips or spray any chemical necessary to rid myself of this nemesis.

• samonk
    6 years ago

Here is a trick that I have been told will work. Get some floral water vials. They are about 3" long and have a stopper in the top through which you can push a stem. Fill the vial about half way with undiluted Roundup or even stronger herbicide. Cut the briar stem and before it can begin to seal itself off, push it into the vial and allow it to draw up the poison. again, I have been told that this will work but have not yet tried it.

• gmolina53
    6 years ago

Is this the same smilax florist are using

• CasaLester RTP, NC (7b)
    6 years ago

The plant commonly used in floral arrangements or home decorating under the name of smilax is actually Asparagus asparagoides.

• erasmus_gw
    6 years ago

I have read that the root is edible.

• Lucy Bowen
    6 years ago

I have something very similar to this plant all over the side and back of my yard. It backs up to a forest. I was told that it was honeysuckle but it has thorns so I think they may be wrong. I had someone cut back most of this vine but its still in my neighbors back yard next door to me. After I do the roundup can I cover the area with a weed barrier landscape fabric? Will this make sure that it dies?

• Kyle
    6 years ago

Here we call 'em 'sawbriers'. I kill mine by cutting to ground leaving about an inch to half-inch stump. I spray the stump with undiluted glyphosate ( I buy generic-much cheaper than Roundup brand). If the stumps are near desirable plants I use a piece of cardboard as a shield.

I always carry these in my pockets when outdoors:

• samonk
    6 years ago

This vine has a tuber deep in the ground. I tried unliluted glyphosate on cut stems but it did come back. That is why I asked for other solutions.

And, yes. They are called by some "Saw Briers" in many parts of the South; thus the old saying, "Smiling like a mule eating Saw Briers."

• Kyle
    6 years ago

I still think undiluted gly is your best and easiest solution. Yes. A particular plant may send up a few more stems but if you keep at it it will eventually die. Mine do and gly is gly. Depends on your determination.

• samonk
    6 years ago

I will try that. Thanks

• jaceymae
    4 years ago

No sure if it was a fluke or not, but a shiny sprout of briar about 6 inches high was discovered and I sprayed it with 20% Vinegar. It turned brown and it's been a few weeks...haven't seen a sign of it since.

• HU-320682220
    3 years ago

We have 2 beautiful acres of lush lawn. Where bushes were, are hundreds of briar (sawbriar) with potatoes. I've dug. I've tried to cut them and poison with medium success - but the largest vines still continue to find a way to the top. Wicked!! Who ever finds an answer to kill these things just below the ground will be a rich fellow. I'm in training at 75 years old - and being a woman,

• HU-485827008
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

If I till this horrid vine until it is mulch, will in come back?

• Sandi Dupre
    2 years ago

Yes. Absolutely do not till this plant. It will only create more.

• Mary Beth Martin
    2 years ago

Cut it. Don't let it grow. Everyone's situation is different and what works for one person may not be practical for another.

I tended the grounds of a couple of private plantations near Charleston for 20 years. My method for dealing with smilax was to cut it to the ground. The big tuber variety is the one I see most. Granted, it will grow back and will need to be cut again.

I routinely police the landscaped areas, azalea beds, etc, for vines. I'm armed with clippers and a one-gallon sprayer of weed killer. If the vine has grown large, I cut it. If it's small, I zap it with weed killer. Learn to recognize the baby seedlings of the bad guys such as poison ivy, virginia creeper, smilax, wisteria and popcorn tree. Zap the seedlings. Don't let them live in your garden. It's not like they're an endangered species.

• Lynna Karanutsos
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Highly Allergic to it. All over my Yard Golden Isles Geaorgia

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner