Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rockpond_gw

Need suggestions for privacy / shrubs / hedge

rockpond
15 years ago

Hello - this is my first time posting on this forum and I am looking for suggestions. Here's my situation:

I have about 400 feet of road frontage on a rural 2-lane road. I'm going to be installing a new pasture fence along the road and I plan to leave plenty of room between the fence and the road right-of-way to plant some type of shrub or tree that will grow and form a privacy row. Here are my wishes and other details.

The location is in full sun

I am in the western piedmont / foothills of North Carolina about halfway between Asheville and Charlotte and about 10 miles North of the South Carolina border. Typical clay soil.

I want something that grows fast, will from a dense visual barrier and it needs to grow at least 10-12 feet tall - taller is OK. I also want something that isn't high maintenance - I don't want to be constantly spraying for pests, etc.

I can water the plants as necessary, that isn't a problem.

Something that has an attractive year-round appearance, flowering or fall color would be nice. I don't mind trimming if necessary to keep up appearances, but I would rather not have something that requires multiple trimmings per year. I'm not lazy, I just have a lot of other things to attend to.

I have considered elle agnes (sorry about the spelling) but those I have seen seem wild and wooly - not a very well kept appearance.

I have also considered chindo viburnum but have read that other people have problems with spotting on the leaves and end up spraying constantly.

Someone suggested carolina cherry laurel but I don't know much about it or if it will survive in my area. (Does it grow wild on the roadside?)

Leyland Cypress is a consideration but when planted in rows, a lot of them seem to develop large brown spots. Someone recommended a Giant Thulja (or something like that), similar to Leyland Cypress, but I don't know much about it. I'm concerned that bagworms might be a problem on those two - but I guess I could spray if necessary.

Whatever I decide on, I'll probably order from a nursery and install myself.

I'm open to suggestions or I'll provide more information if I've left out anything.

Thank you,

rockpond

Comments (13)

• DYH
    15 years ago

I second the nomination of osmanthus fragrans. My favorite evergreen, deer proof, fragrant shrub.

Cameron

Here is a link that might be useful: More info on my blog

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

I would suggest Wax myrtle - currently named Morella cerifera (previously Myrica cerifera and often still referred to by that name).

By the way, a mixed border is not a bad thing to consider. That way you don't have to choose just one kind of plant and you avoid potential issues with a single disease/pest/fungus wiping out the entire group.

• token28001
    15 years ago

I third the nomination of osmanthus fragrans. I planted two last spring. They've bloomed on and off all summer and fall. I've actually got a few blooms on one plant now. My only issue is that young, tender leaves will get burned by a sudden freeze like the 18 degree weather we had a week ago. But these plants can handle a hard pruning and bounce back pretty quick.

Another that was recommended to me, but I haven't tried, is Cherry Laurel. I didn't go that route because they can become invasive from what I've read.

• spazzycat_1
    15 years ago

In addition to other suggestions, you may want to consider any number of hollies. Also, Magnolia 'Little Gem' provides a nice screen over time. There are also any number of great conifers that would work: Thuja 'Green Giant' and Cupressus Arizonica 'Carolina Sapphire' are just two.

As mentioned, there are advantages to mixed screens. Here's a picture of a mixed screen we planted to screen the neighbors on one side. It's composed of two layers: evergreens in back, deciduous flowering shrubs staggered in front. The evergreens: Ilex 'Nellie R. Stevens', carolina cherry laurel, leatherleaf viburnum, and variegated chinese Ligustrum. Flowering shrubs: quince, bridalwreath spirea, vanhoutti spirea, viburnum burkwoodi, and doublefile viburnum.

{{gwi:23091}}

I don't think I would recommend carolina cherry laurel unless used in a mixed screen. We've found that young plants can have problems with borers. Eleagnus (russian olive) is on the invasive list for NC, so I would also not recommend using it.

• mbuckmaster
    15 years ago

A fourth for the osmanthus fragrans. Tough to find a better all around choice!

• jay_7bsc
    15 years ago

As much as I like tea olive (_Osmanthus fragrans_), I would not recommend its use as a privacy screen in a full-sun, exposed location in Western North Carolina, halfway between Asheville and Charlotte. In recent years, we've had comparatively warm winters in this part of the Southeast; but there's bound to be a future winter in which _Osmanthus fragrans_ will be badly burned or killed to the ground by cold temperatures. It is, indeed, a fine plant and one to be enjoyed in a sheltered location; but at some point it will prove unreliable in a harsh, unforgiving exposed Piedmont location. Don't consider using it as a hedge unless you want to see it decimated. If you take a look at _The Southern Living Garden Book_ or similar books, you will find that there are several _Osmanthus_ varieties that are much hardier than _Osmanthus fragrans_. Like _Osmanthus fragrans_, they are evergreen with fragrant fall/winter flowers. These hardier strains of _Osmanthus_ would be more likely to have longterm success in a Western North Carolina landscape than the more tender _Osmanthus fragrans_. However, one wants his/her _Osmanthus fragrans_ to be near a frequenty trodden pathway or near a window where its fragrance can be enjoyed. Planting tea olive out in a hedge along the roadside would be a waste of its many attributes.

Leyland cypress is an abomination. Avoid it like the plague. _Eleagnus pungens_ or _Eleagnus pungens fruitlandii_ would be a superb choice, requiring no maintenance and providing food for our songbirds. These species of _Eleagnus_ are not the Russian olive you're thinking about.

A spectacular choice would be golden bamboo or black bamboo. I have a grove of golden bamboo on one side of my house and a grove of black bamboo on the other side. They provide a lush, evergreen, Oriental appearance and an abundance of privacy. Your roadway would serve as a "bamboo containment wall" on one side. Just let the bamboo colonize freely on the other side, creating a natural effect.

• hosta200
    15 years ago

I've been real happy with Nellie Stevens Holly. I planted a row of about 14 about sevin years ago and they filled in very nice. I've never had to do a thing to them. They have a load of berries this year.

• torajima
    15 years ago

I second wax myrtle. It looks good year round, and it's native, so it doesn't require much nurturing. Plus it smells great, birds love the berries and if you look around, you can find it quite cheap.

• Brian_M2
    15 years ago

I would again recommend the sweet olive. Just try it and see what happens. It's one of the toughest things in my yard (in Raleigh)...it's evergreen, plus those extremely fragrant blooms whenever it feels like putting them out. I barely amended the soil where I planted them. They get full midday sun, and they definitely get the northern winds in the winter, yet they are evergreen and I've never seen the first problem. They also grow relatively fast after the 2nd year.

• jay_7bsc
    15 years ago

In South Carolina, the native wax myrtle (_Myrica cerifera_) has been migrating inland from the coast for decades. While in high school in the late 1960's, I collected wax myrtle seedlings near Troy, SC, in Greenwood County and planted them along the roadway at our home in northern Anderson County. This wax myrtle hedge is planted on the highway right-of-way, which means that it is whacked a couple of times a year by the county road crew. The wax myrtle seems not to mind the occasional whacking. In fact, it may benefit from it. The plant seems to spread and colonize stoloniferously. It is planted on a roadbank that, thankfully, no longer requires any maintenance with a lawn mower. We overplanted the wax myrtles with a row of slash pines (_Pinus elliotti_) in 1975. Together, the slash pines and wax myrtle create a pleasing evergreen roadside border that requires no maintenance. The pines and wax myrtle glitter pleasingly in the winter sunlight. Through the years, I've planted camellia seeds among the wax myrtles and slash pines. The camellia seedlings are gaining size; but as anyone who works with camellias knows, it takes many years for a camellia seedling to be large and mature enough to flower. A few of the seedlings are large enough to set buds, mostly seedlings of 'Lady Vansittart', which tend to look like their Mommer in having candy-stripe, carmine streaks on a white semi-double blossom. Wax myrtle would be a superb choice for an open, exposed Piedmont location.

• ncdirtdigger
    15 years ago

You might look into pyracanthus 'mohave', it has beautiful flowers in the spring, is evergreen, grows fast (up to 3' a year), is fire blight resistant and the thorns will discourage any unwelcome guests. As a plus it is very easy to propagate, so if you need more it will root very easily.

• mbuckmaster
    15 years ago

Yep, I second Brian's second: osmanthus fragrans. You could try osmanthus heterophyllus if you wanted to be safe; it's more cold-hardy than fragrans. But tea olive is surprisingly hardy, and the fragrance wafts yards away.

Wax myrtle is also an excellent shrub.