Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ncdirtdigger

Winter sowing

ncdirtdigger
14 years ago

It's getting close to winter solstice and that means time to get busy preparing containers for winter sowing. Last year was my first year wsowing and I had great success. Last years biggest success' were columbine, pincushion flowers, balloon flowers and perrenial verbenas. This year I have designs on sowing lots of new plants and am exited for the coming spring already.

Comments (11)

• Lynda Waldrep
    14 years ago

I am getting ready, too. I started winter sowing four seasons ago, and I have had much luck, especially with my natives that need stratification and even two or more years. This summer I was so surprised to see Clematis viorna from my first efforts pop up in an old container that I had put aside, since I thought nothing would germinate.

I get lots of unusual seeds via NARGS, and since I contribute, I can order 35 pks. for the shipping cost of $12.50. I don't have a rock garden, but the members really do send in lots of interesting seeds. They have both a garden and a wild collected section, so I am especially glad to get wild collected seeds from areas with similar zone conditions. (All collected with permission, of course!)

One of my friends is already filling his containers this week, in anticipation of the seed list coming out Dec. 15.

Good luck to all of us winter sowers as the new season approaches!

• squirrelspur
    14 years ago

I've already started with some seeds that need a warm period first. I always sow more than I can plant out but it is so much fun to see the little sprouts in the late winter/early spring.

• token28001
    14 years ago

Me too. I'm hosting a winterswap for members of the forum. I'm halfway through sorting the seeds. Lots of new varieties and natives will be added this year. I've got three new beds to fill and a meadow garden that needs sturdy, drought tolerant plants.

I've already sown some seeds too. Calycanthus florida, Cornus floridus, persimmon, and others. I'm hoping to get lots of new shrubs this spring.

• transplanted2scin07
    14 years ago

Last year was my first year, too, and I had great success using translucent 1 gallon milk jugs (the deli containers with the flat, clear top caused my seedlings to dry out too quickly). I saved gallon jugs all summer long and went looking for them the other day to see how many I had saved up. To my dismay, DH had "helped" by taking these jugs to the dump!!

• Lynda Waldrep
    14 years ago

Well, I started winter sowing yesterday, worked more today, but I have to wait until I can find the raised pallet outside...it is still covered with snow! But, I will be ready to put out all of those things that like stratification. I still have a few more pks. to go, but I want to sow all that I have as a "backlog" before more new ones come in from exchanges. Merry Christmas, happy holidays, joyful soltice, and best wishes to all for a great gardening New Year

• dirtrx
    14 years ago

I can't wait. I've been away from the garden too long because of school but its time to get back in the dirt. Last year I didn't w/s because to the 2 new lab puppies but this year I hope to have some w/s babies to share at the swap.

• rootdiggernc
    14 years ago

I didn't winter sow much last year, but think I'm ready to get back to it this year. Have a wild tomato to try this year that my son grew last year. Hopefully will have babies to bring to the plant swap. I think this snowy weekend will be a good time to drag everything out and see what all I want to get into!

• Judy Brown
    14 years ago

I've already wintersowed 18 containers, hardy cyclamen, false hellebores, eyeball plant, peach fuzz tomatoes and some other things that I can't think of right off.

Deborah, if you sow some tomatoes I'd like to get some from you. Hopefully I'll have something that I can share with you. I'm going to do a couple more bottles tomorrow myself. Happy Wintersowing!!

• lynnencfan
    14 years ago

I got a late start this year but have germination all over the place now - calendula, thyme, blue flax, scarlet flax, nemophlia (3 different kinds), alyssum just to name a few. I am finally going to break out of my 'one of this-one of that' mode and plant drifts of flowers. I am more excited about gardening this year than I have been in a long time ......

Lynne

• Judy Brown
    14 years ago

So far, the only plants that have germinated from wintersowing is soapwort and black poppy. I'm EXCITED about that. Hopefully, by this weekend I should have a couple of more thing popping up. Afterall, I've only wintersowed 30+ containers. I know that's not alot compared to the hundred of containers that other folks have sowed.

• rootdiggernc
    14 years ago

I've sown a whopping 2 containers so far, lol...

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists