Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
questioningserenity

Newbie Citrus Lover

So Lowe's seem to be prepared to get me in trouble with the prepping of spring already starting(I'm a cashier). Last year I found this website for roses and herbs. This year, I'm eyeing the fruit plants. I'm located in Northern Florida, and was only patio container gardening last year(I live in apartments) But this year, I managed to get permission to use an unused plot of land for an attempt of in ground gardening this year(insert evil laughter here)

So getting back on track now. I'd like to dip my fingers in growing a citrus plant or three. Currently I'm thinking of keeping them 'patio plants' to see how I do both in keeping them alive and in seeing how the ground gardening does(First year EVER not gardening in a pot) I managed to find a nice 'cocktail tree' of meyer lemon and key limes. It's about 2-2.5 feet with its pot. The lil guy is covered in blooms on one side, with a few just starting fruits(from what I looked up online of the fruit growth process) And the other currently has 2 yellowing fruit on the other side, 2x golfball sized. It's going to go on my patio, which receiving 6-7 hours of sunlight in the front(where the citrus will be) Rain usually doesn't hit my potted too much if ever, so watering is strictly my control)

My questions for ya'll would be; 1. What other citrus would ya'll suggest? I'd love a smaller orange-y type for snacking and a larger orange for juicing if ya'll know of any that would do well in my area. I've been scanning this forum the last day or two and so many varieties!
2. What's the best way to go about repotting them? I figured it'd probably be best to repot after I bring them home, or should I wait? I've noticed some people suggested a soil/peat/pine bark type mixture? Is jungle growth a good soil type to be used as part of this mixture? Can I add compost to mixture?(I've never used compost or manure, but wanna try adding this year. I've used the fish crud and a granule fertilizer last year for my roses, fruits, herbs and veggies)
Silly question, but can dog's eat citrus? I've a pup who decided to 'help' us bring in the plants the other night by snatching the fallen green tomato, but didn't want to give it up. Thankfully he didn't eat it, but just want another's opinion just in case I find remains of a stolen citrus.
And last but not least, Is it legal to take a mini tree across state lines if it's your personal plant? My husband is military, so if he gets orders for another state, there's a possibility it might come with me(depending on size and such)

Thanks for taking the time to read this!
Sereniti

Comments (5)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

I like small citrus orange fruits. I chose kumquats because of the small fruit and no mess eating. You eat the peal along with the flesh. In your situation I would be inclined to go with the earliest ripening satsumas or the "cuties" variety that ripens in fall. What ever you get the fruit will freeze 28F and will be useless. The tree needs to be on a hardy rootstock that can go down to the record cold in your area otherwise you will match that cold the winter you tree is ready to produce. "Murphy's law"..It is not likely that your landlord will allow you to construct tents with heaters on his property.

Why not get a large Versailles container to grow your citrus tree outside and in that setup you can move it with you when your moved. Something like this is much easier to contain, protect and look good.

I would be inclined to re-pot.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

I am with Syeve on that one! I tried a what do they call it, Meiwi Kumquat yesterday and LOVED it! IT was almost tart and yet very sweet...I hate the skin and all...It was like eating candy..lol
    I bought one..lol

Good questions! I'll leave those to the experts!
    I wish I could use a plot of land, but then I would be worried about citrus regulations, rootstock, diseases, thos every frequent very cold snaps and such..

I like the ability to be in total control of my plants when it comes to cold snaps...I wish you all the best and have fun!

Mike

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Well, out of hand eating would be your navel oranges. You live in the land of the Navel Orange, so ask any of your better garden centers which of the several navel varieties they would recommend (you have many good ones to choose from, you might consider two, one early and one late to extend your season). For juicing, the Valencia orange is considered your juicing orange, as the juice will not become bitter if refrigerated (as navel orange juice will do). I would also suggest a nice mandarin. I love the Seedless Kishu, and it is very well suited for container culture, but not sure it performs its best in Florida. You might consider a Tango mandarin, a Clemenules or a Ponkan (not the best for a container tree, as they tend to be more tall and columnar in their growth habit, but it is one of the top 3 or 4 best tasting mandarins, and does very well in Florida). Diseases will affect your container citrus the same as your in-ground citrus, if your container citrus will be outside, so there is no benefit to keeping your trees in a container in that regard. But, if you don't have the land to plant, containers are the next best thing.

Patty S.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Look around your area. Are others growing oranges successfully in ground. Talk to them and see if there crops generally clear fruit destroying temperatures. If your container citrus have to come in because of freezes, then you can't plant in ground without damage.

I was looking at the weather.com to see your record lows. They bounced between 20F and -2F. While it is very unlikely that you will get a -2 it is fact that the 20F is there because a strongish cold snap never passed on that day of the month and it is an easy record to break. Be prepared

Patti can the fruit take much colder temps. when it is small and months before ripe then when its ripe. That knowledge will allow me to ease up on my citrus.

Steve

• tantanman
    10 years ago

Here are some suggestions I have learned from John Panzarella who has over 140 varieties of citrus in containers. Plant mandarins (loose skin types) for best fruit in containers since they have less problems when temperatures soar and water in the container goes through large swings. Tight skin fruit tends to split a lot worse. Do not re-pot into a much larger size pot. Keep the plant a little confined. Go up only one size. 5 gal --> 7 gal otherwise the tree may want to not fruit and just give vegetative growth. John lives about fifty miles south of Houston.

I would not re-pot now unless you are growing them indoors. I would avoid using perlite except maybe less than 10% and make sure it is coarse. It holds too much water. Be certain the potting mix drains well. You should see drainage in 30 to 45 seconds or less after watering. Always double pot, unless the pots are shaded, or they will get root damage. Fertilizer should be applied at half rates and twice as often as the package recommends unless it is slow release. Avoid citrus that normally mature after the end of January as they tend to become alternate bearing. Examples: Murcott (Florida honey) and Valencia. It must be the temperature swings. It was 81 today, and Wed AM it is supposed to be 31. Two weeks ago it was in the 20's. They do OK in deep South Texas.

Also remember; citrus roots like it less than 85 deg F. Half the year they will be way outside their comfort range in a container on a patio in Florida. If you have hard (alkaline) water you will have additional problems. We can deal with that too. Citrus does not do well when fertilized like veggies because it does not tolerate the high phosphorus feeding. Trees on standard trifoliate rootstock tend take the swings of lack of water better than others I have tried. Avoid all lemon rootstocks for good eating fruit. Please do not take any citrus out of Florida to any citrus growing state. It is very illegal and it is possible to spread several deadly citrus diseases.