Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What cultivar is this tangerine?

Posted by newgen 9 Central California (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 17, 12 at 1:42

Very sweet, label says it's from Florida. I'm interested in acquiring this plant.
Thanks,

Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What cultivar is this tangerine?

If you Google Heller Bros. Florida produce you'll find their web site. Right now, most likely, according to their web site, this is a Sunburst mandarin. You can always email them to see what they're shipping right now, and what this bar code might mean.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heller Brothers Packing Company

o

• Posted by newgen 9 Central California (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 17, 12 at 16:47

I just called them, it's Honey Tangerine, their only fruit that they are allowed to ship to CA. Time to search for a tree. Thanks Patty!

o
It's Murcott.

Tue, Jan 17, 12 at 16:50

OK, so I Googled for some info, the official name is Murcott. I have a Murcott planted, and the fruits are pretty sour and much smaller than this. Maybe mines just aren't ripe yet.

o

Well, not necessarily :-) There is also the California Honey, which is similar to Murcott, but is not Murcott. I have a California Honey, which is very sweet. Four Winds carries them, as do many other growers/nurseries.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: UCR Citrus Variety Collection: Honey Mandarin

o

Wed, Jan 18, 12 at 16:52

So are you saying that Murcotts are sour? I'll keep an eye out for California Honey. Here's my Murcott tree.
Photobucket

o

No, Murcott's are delicious. Just saying that a "Honey" mandarin is not a Murcott. It is a Honey or a California Honey. They look very similar. Murcotts come ripe for us here in California January through March, so it just may be a wee bit early for Murcotts. And Four Winds sells the California Honey if you're interested :-)

Patty S.

o
RE: What cultivar is this tangerine? Forgot to Mention

Oops, forgot to say, your tree looks very lovely!

Patty S.

o

NICE tree, newgen. I believe that is a Honey murcott tangerine. Very common here in FL...few of my neighbors has them and looks identical to yours...VERY sweet and juicy normally. Once in a while I've had a few not as sweet as it should be...My guess is it was picked before its fully ripe?

o

Thu, Jan 19, 12 at 13:34

puglvr1:

Yea, I think I picked it way too early, about a month ago. The color fooled me into thinking it was ripe. I will wait until late Feb and try again.

o

Some PLU numbers: #4453 (large) Murcott, #4451 Dancy, #4449 Sunburst.

Murcotts are notoriously late in ripening, late Feb. here.

I hate the term Honey tangerine. It was originally used for the Ponkan as in Chinese Honey Tangerine/Orange. Then Murcott in Florida. Then California needed theirs which I think is a King mandarin hybrid.

Of course by this time Texas feels left out so they came up this scheme. Some guys I know got some budwood from an inactive USDA citrus germplasm bank. One really good cultivar was one never released and it carried a code number. It has a very thin skin and cannot be shipped but it is super as a dooryard tree. It is one of the genetic sisters of Fairchild, Nova, and Sunburst. They got with a grower and he dubbed it "Texas Honey" started to grow them for a big box store. However the grower missed some bank note payments and got foreclosed on before they made "Texas Honey Tangerine" a household name. We barely lucked out on that one.

o

dont think murcott grows in TX, since i cant find any nurseries in Houston that sell them...

newgen: please update when you pick yours and see if they gotten sweeter?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here