Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
milehighgardener

Quick Question about fruiting

MileHighGardener
9 years ago

The end of the flower on my bears lime broke off i believe its called the pistil the part that looks like a yellow ball. Will the fruit continue to grow?

This post was edited by MileHighGardener on Thu, Jan 15, 15 at 2:01

Comments (8)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

If yours looks like this I hope it does. Pictured below is a Meyer lemon

Steve

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

MileHigh, think we talked about this before, but as a refresher, nearly all citrus are parthenocarpic - have the ability to produce fruit without the need for pollination. Clementine mandarins are probably the most familiar cultivar that needs cross-pollination to produce a decent fruit crop (will still produce, but will be significantly less without cross-pollination). Your limes will form. Not to worry. And, of course, if you have indoor citrus, you wouldn't have the aid of insects to cross-pollinate the flowers, so, no need for a stigma.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pollination of Citrus

• MileHighGardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey Guys! Yes Patty i do remember talking about pollination and how the bearss lime is sterile. Sorry for not being clear anyways ill upload pictures so you can see what i mean.

Side note. This image looks just like Steves you can see the fruit forming at the beginning with the stigma still attached.

• MileHighGardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the lime im talking about i accidently broke the stigma off yesterday when i was moving the curtains. Will it continue to mature? that way if it doesnt i can remove it.

Thanks Guys!

Mile

• MileHighGardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also while im at, guys does my tree require any sort of pruning? Id like to keep a tree shape rather then a bushy shape.

image{{gwi:807}}

Mile

This post was edited by MileHighGardener on Thu, Jan 15, 15 at 16:34

• tavimh
    9 years ago

That lime should keep growing. If it does drop, it isn't because that bit fell off, it would because the tree might still be too young to support fruit.

I would hold off with pruning until it is a good bit bigger.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Yes, milehigh. The end of the stigma eventually drops off or dries up, as it is no longer needed. The fruit is forming below, in the ovule :-) Perfectly normal. Do not prune, it simply isn't big enough to prune. Wait until you have a nice, full, lush canopy, then prune out crossing branches, dense inner canopy, etc. If you can provide more light, it won't be so spindly :-)

Patty S.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Any citrus tree in a pot should do better as a bush unless it is seed grown and has to achieve a node count to flower. My sweetlee tangerine tree from seeds are being encourage to grow tall. I will translucent shade out the bottom half this summer to encourage growth where the sun shines. Any pruning I do is cutting of the last 1/4 of an inch to cause branch dividing. I will also nip the growing bus on limbs that are crossing after they put on a few leaves. The tip of this branch was encourage so I would get more branches and a more solid trunk.

Steve