Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
milehighgardener

Anyone have an Orange Tree?

MileHighGardener
9 years ago

I don't think I've seen anyone on this forum with a potted Orange tree before could anyone please share images if they do so. (even better with fruit)

Mile

Comments (20)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

I do, an Atwood Early navel orange. Outdoor container. Oranges do just fine in containers.

{{gwi:2123501}}

{{gwi:2123502}}

Patty S.

• tim45z10
    9 years ago

Be sure your setup has wheels.

• MileHighGardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for sharing guys!! wows such beautiful trees. i didn't think orange tress would be as productive if grown in containers compared to limes and lemons.

what are the differences between the valencia and the washy navel taste wise. i know the washy navel is seedless

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Hi Milehigh . Really there is not that much difference . They are both extremely sweet the Valencia somewhat more juicy . Navels are more an eating orange because they are very easy to peel and separate easily , the Valencia is more difficult to peel so making it more a juice orange . Navel orange's do make a great juice but I think the shelf life is very short sometimes just one day . I have both trees and I live in zone5 and both my trees are very productive . That brings up another point navel trees don't need as much heat to sweeten them up as do Valencia's . So if you live in a cooler climate I would recommend a navel , my opinion .

Brian

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

"Trovita and Calamondin oranges are the easiest oranges to raise indoors according to some websites". From the link below

needs no heat to ripen

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.waldeneffect.org/blog/Best_indoor_dwarf_citrus_varieties/

9 years ago

Thank you, Brian. My little Atwood Early is new just this last summer, so it is still trying to figure out its flowering/fruiting cycle. I have to laugh. I have one ginormous orange that is just about ripe the size of a grapefruit. Then, I have about 10 fruits the size of golf-balls or so, and then another set of fruit about pea or larger sized. And, it is blooming. Again. Or, still. So, it will get itself figured out, eventually :-) Your tree is lovely, how many years have you had it? It looks to be at least 5 years old based on the maturity at the graft site.

And, regarding the differences between Washington Navels and Valencias - what Brian said. And, Valencias ripen in the summer, Washington Navels in the winter. The juice from the Washington Navel does not refrigerate well, it can become bitter. So, they are really best suited for eating out of hand, plus being seedless (or nearly), as well as easy to peel. Valencias are your traditional juicing orange. I don't try to peel them if I want to eat them out of hand. I cut them into segments. Washington Navels are more particular with regard to climate. They don't do as well in really hot dry areas in the ground. Valencias like it hot. Both grow extremely well in-ground in my area, as I have sort of "middle of the road" climate being reasonably close to the coast (6-7 miles).

To Steve's comment: Calamondins are not oranges. They are their own cultivar. They are NOT sweet, horribly sour. Inedible out of hand unless you can eat a lemon or lime out of hand. In fact, if you look at my first photo, you'll see a variegated Calamondin tree planted in the background. I have a row of them up my driveway, planted specifically for their lovely ornamental appearance. Not for their sour fruits :-) Trovita does well and is a wonderful cultivar. It would be a replacement for a Valencia (that would be the most similar cultivar to Trovita) and is widely grown in our inland desert areas here in S. California as it does very well out there. Valencias do better in my area, which is why I have Valencias and Red Smith Valencias for my oranges (besides my navels).

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: UC Citrus Variety Collection: Sweet Oranges

This post was edited by hoosierquilt on Wed, Jan 14, 15 at 20:01

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Hi Patty you have such a cosy inviting patio . I so love your trees very healthy looking . I am so glad to hear your finally having a rainy season !!! There must have been people dancing in the streets especially the farmers . I've had the tree now for 13 yrs . So true the graft site is very low and it never seems to get any higher but the tree grows like a real weed . There is a garbage can full of trimmings just from that one tree. Every year I have to trim the tree back by at least a foot . You might be able to see black on the trunk . I think there might have been some kind of a beetle burrowing in the trunk this summer so I filled the hole it made with black wound tree paint it seems to have worked . Patty I bought a Kishu tree last year so looking forward to when it fruits . I bought it because I know how much your in love with this fruit . I would love to see a pic one day of your Kishu tree . Have a great night my friend .

Brian

• axier - Z10, Basque Country (Spain)
    9 years ago

Brian, very nice orange! and in Z5!
    I grafted the past year a 4 year old Poncirus T. with Washington navel, Rohde navel and Lane Late. It is in a pot and currently it is 1 ft high, but probably it will grow a lot next season because it has strong roots and grafts are already well established.
    I intend to leave it in the pot, and I wonder wich is your fertilizing schedule to get so beautiful orange.
    I have read several recommendation about fertilizing but I would like to know what you use. Thanks.
    Patty, your patio is very nice, I can imagine a California summer sunset sitting there :-)

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Hi Axier. Thankyou . I think I might be the only one here maybe a couple of others that uses miracle grow all purpose fertilizer . I usually fertilize every second watering . I just sprinkle a little right on top of the soil then water well . It seems to work for me . Milehigh here is a pic of my navel orange .

Brian

sometime

9 years ago

Beautiful, Brian. You have such a touch with your plants in zone 5. I am duly impressed. I lived in N. Indiana for 10 years, and know how tough zone 5 is. And Axier and Brian, thank you. It's not really a patio, but our driveway extension. We set this up because we can sit and watch the sun set over the ocean. Just a cute little area to sit in, one of many secluded sitting areas throughout our property.

Patty S.

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Thankyou so much Patty . That means so much coming from you . You just made my day no my week lol and may I say your not to bad yourself !!!. You have such a lovely place !!!.

Brian

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    9 years ago

brian, your trees are amazing! I dont have any current photos of mine or I would share. Ill try and snap a few this weekend.

Where do you overwinter yours?

Mike

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Hi Mike Thanks . I overwinter mine in this . I think a picture speaks a thousand words !!!. Lol. Mike I Love the pics of your Satuma and kumquat trees they are so beautiful !!

Brian

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Mike, I am glad to see you back posting here. I always like looking at your beautiful trees.

Cory

• liamkelly Zone 6b Rhode Island / 5b Massachusetts
    9 years ago

I joined the ranks of potted orange tree growers today, my first blood orange seed sprouted! I learned that each seed produces three sprouts (I noticed three roots when I transferred the sprout to its new pot), two of which are vigorous clones of its parent trees, and a third which is the recombinant DNA of its parents. No thrilling pictures yet, though perhaps in 7+ years...

• axier - Z10, Basque Country (Spain)
    9 years ago

Thank you Brian. It is evident that you are applying your fertilizer in the right form.
    Miracle Grow is a good fertilizer, I tried it years ago, and it works very well. It is difficult to find here.
    I read the label of your fertilizer and it meets the recommended NPK ratio for citrus (3-1-2) and it contains micro elements.
    It seems to be a good fertilizer for citrus.

This post was edited by axier on Fri, Jan 16, 15 at 5:59

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

I guess I am lucky. I have found Miacle grow in both normal and miracid with the 3-1-2 ratio. It has the micros but seems to lack calcium and low in zinc. My ground here is very high in calcium and phosphorus. I have found an 8-0-4 but it has no micros. Osmocote plus has everything but it is 3.5 times the cost of miracle grow. I use old scrap chicken wire to get my zinc and some iron. I have a jar that i place the wire in and vinegar. It visibly work very well for my kumquats in leaf color and size

Steve

• tim45z10
    9 years ago

Patty,
    Persian culture love sour oranges. Same as yours,I don't know. If you have a Persian community, they make even buy them from you.
    Tim

9 years ago

I think you're referring to real sour oranges? Those are different than Calamondins, which is its own cultivar. Seville, Bouquet de Fleurs, Chinotto, Bergamot are sour oranges. Filipino and other Asian cultures actually use Calamondins. They are called Calamansi in Filipino cultlure. But, I grow mine just for their lovely ornamental value, and I like the fruit to remain on the trees since it adds to their attractive appearance. I grow my sour oranges for marmalade :-)

Patty S.