Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
codyp_gw

Stem Cuttings

CodyP
11 years ago

i have 3 citrus,2 lemon and 1 lime. I took cuttings and they are in there own humididome each in rockwool and misted daily. will these trees run into future problems. i know i loos the dwarfing rootstock but will the tree build a good rootsystem or will it fall over and die in three years.?

Comments (5)

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Are you asking about POTTED or IN-GROUND plants?

Mike

• johnmerr
    11 years ago

Also, what varieties. Some varieties, like Meyer lemon have rather weak roots, susceptible to diseases; for containers not a problem; but for inground I would advise against rooted cuttings of Meyer. The upside of rooted cuttings is they are true clones; that is, the same age as the parent; and they may fruit quickly.

• CodyP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

okay thats good to know i also did some research and your right so ill probably keep the cuttings in containers an give them to fam as house plants and experiment a little.But now i will start to focus on rooting suckers from a graft below the union i have then multi grafting them in a few years by budding some orange, lime and lemon varities i have. I have nothing but time being only twenty one. My ten year plan is to have my own nursery and not just with citrus due to sooooooo many laws on exporting. Im new on this forum so sorry for the dragging on. But otherss who read this and have had sucsess rooting citrus or know about it chime in an share. Its a great way to multiply if you know what to do.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

Oranges are also not good on own roots in the ground, too susceptible to soil borne diseases. If you keep your cuttings in containers, you're fine. Most citrus will root fine from cuttings, lemons are particularly easy to to root from cuttings. Good luck with your nursery plans. You might want to check out your local community college, to see if they have an agriculture or horticulture degree or certification program. You don't have where you live (or your zone) in your My Page section, or your zone field, but our local community college has a very well respected agriculture degree, with one of the focuses being on a commercial focus. Gives you not only the background and education on plants, botany, irrigation practices, pest management and inspection requirements, as well as how to run your own business. Definitely worth getting the knowledge under your belt, as this is a tough time for nurseries right now. And citrus will not be the only plant with shipping restrictions - many other plants have significant shipping restrictions as well. Worth getting the education so you don't end up with costly surprises when you're ready to launch your business. Good luck, we would all love to know how you fare, keep us posted.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mira Costa College Degree in Horticulture

• CodyP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah i am already saving up money and planto enroll in such classes along with a few others. I read for hours a day and feel i have a good start but schooling is a must. Im in zone 6 but my trees are in a sun room with direct sun all day.Never falls below 70 and by the time it does the sun is just an hour away so it heats back up pretty quick but usualy by the beginning . of february i have to use a portable heater at night for insurance. The trees love it along with my peppers and other various plants. I have family all over the country and some already have well established citrus groves. Its hard transport though but have been achieved. The cuttings are under cfls about 80 watts. I learned not to cut leaves in half it seems even with a sterile blade they are the first to cause problems. Third year in the garden for me im glad i started when i did. They will all be in 15 gallon containers as soon as roots form. Would grapefruit rootstock be suitable for larger trees? I plan to build another glass frame around a nice plot i have and plant the one tree in it and multi graft to it. Ive also began propagating various decidious trees and some dif maples. but thats a different forum. soory for the way i write im on a kindle fire. But thank you Patty for posting. I will defiantly keep posted on my progress like i said im young and have my whole life to stride for succes even if i fail at owning a business inthe future i will still have mother nature to guide me.