Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
devinisagemini

improved meyer lemon tree,help!!

devinisagemini
11 years ago

Hi I recently bought an improved meyer lemon tree from safeway it is a little over a foot tall,I was wondering if all trees sold at stores labeld "improved meyer lemon tree" are grafted and if so how long until it is mature to flower/produce fruit. There was a tag around the stem dated a little over a year ago,is that how old the tree is?if anyone is interested in helping me out with these questions I would be glad to post a picture of the small tree,thank you.
-Devin

Comments (75)

• johnmerr
    11 years ago

Our motto at Mayan Meyer Lemons is, "If life gives you lemons, pray they are Meyers!"

And, if you had our climate... Yesterday we harvested half pound lemons from trees that were planted in August 2011; some will go to a big ice cream maker; others will go to Panama for market trials.
    Next week we are sending lemons again to Berlin for the Fruit Logistica Show; Meyers were the star of the show last year, and interestingly the most novel thing was the fair participants walking around sucking on the peels... not bitter like Eurekas.

• devinisagemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thats awesome!

• makalu_gw
    11 years ago

Hi Devin,

Since you asked for a picture, here's one of my Meyer Lemon. I got it last April as a 1 year, grafted plant in a 4" pot from One Green World so it's less than 1 year older than yours. I potted it up(12" pot) with a 5-1-1 mixture combined with some Osmocote 19-6-12 slow release fertilizer and just let it go. Right now, it's on a second flush of blooms and one lemon just may stay on the plant (first time around, everything dropped).

• makalu_gw
    11 years ago

Another picture of the other side of the lemon (haven't figured out how to embed more than 1 picture yet either) with the Kaffir lime moved out of the way.

• devinisagemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thats a nice tree,way bigger than mine!
    Do they usually drop there first lemons?

• Lemon123
    11 years ago

Hi Everyone

What is this 5-1-1 mixture and Osmocote 19-6-12 and can I get this in Canada.I just purchased a meyers lemon tree this summer.it , I had lemons grow this summer , should i prune back the steam the lemons grew on there no leafs on it.

Thank you

• devinisagemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I repotted mine into a huge pot today with fresh soil/cow manure,it should be able to stay in there for a couple years,right?

• devinisagemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I repotted mine into a huge pot today with fresh soil/cow manure,it should be able to stay in there for a couple years,right?

{{!gwi}}

• bergiegirl
    11 years ago

We have a 5-6 year tree. Currently has approximately 200 +\- lemons. Meyer lemons are the best. We fertilize with triple 15 and give all our trees a good soak for about 7 hours depending on moisture in soil usually once a week.

• devinisagemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tiny leaves!

• makalu_gw
    11 years ago

Devin,

Yeah! Looks like it's starting to grow again. I've never used cow manure in a potted plant and I'm hoping that by soil, you're talking about a well draining potting mix but depending on growth I think the pot size will do for a good while.
    Maybe someone with a little more experience on Meyer lemons can chime in to give you another opinion.

• devinisagemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay thank you!
    I did 60/70% potting soil & 40/30% semi dried cow manure its all mixed up but the manure is mainly towards the bottom of the pot.
    Is this suitable for the tree?as I would like to keep it as organic as possible,thank you.
    Devin
    C:

• devinisagemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Also the tree is in the mix pretty snug&tight while re-potting I noticed the roots are kinda on the small side compared to what thwy used to be any tips on how to get them bigger/longer?

• devinisagemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay I'm thinking woodchips soil & dry leaves,that better?

• devinisagemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay I'm thinking woodchips soil & dry leaves,that better?

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

No, marginally worse, in my opinion.

When you say woodchips, do you mean chipped up trees/branches?

Bark is the outside bark of a tree, not the sapwood. The inner wood, sapwood,
    of a tree should be avoided. It decomposes rapidly, binds nitrogen, and loses structure
    as it decomposes. There is also the potential for heat spikes during the decomposition.

Woodchips, dry leaves, pine needles, manure, coffee grounds....all of that stuff
    is fantastic in the garden/raised bed, and that's where it works best.

Josh

• jojosplants
    11 years ago

Morning...

Devin... I agree with Josh. Please consider what he is saying. He knows much about the 5-1-1 and how it works and how well your plants will do in it.

These mixes you are trying to use just aren't meant for containers and spell certain doom for your plant. I spent years trying these same types of mixes only to lose plants. Couldn't even keep one lousy tomato alive.

I now use 5-1-1 or gritty for everything. And my plants love it!!

you mentioned above that your roots are smaller. that may be due to the mixes you are using. No air, and too much moisture , they could be rotting.

You also mentioned wanting it to be organic. What is not organic about pine bark, peat moss and perlite. ? I'm not nit picking, but wanting to learn . I don't know much about organic, and to me the 5-1-1 does seem organic.

Your tree, if it is going to stay in a container, needs a free draining, aerated mix like the 5-1-1 or gritty. You need to be able to flush the soil regularly! This will remove salt build up and allow air in.

also, organic fertilizers, do not work very well in containers. They really need all the little goodies, and micro organisms found in the earth to make them work.

I'm including a link that explains all about the 5-1-1 and gritty . It's a lot to read but worth it!! I hope it helps.

There are many examples here of people using the 5-1-1 and how beautiful the plants do!

Makalu posted a beautiful tree above!!
    Very nice makalu! I love the snow in the background!!

Also google Josh, here in Citrus or houseplant forum and MeyerMike.

I hope this all helps. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Container mixes. ~ 5-1-1 and Gritty

• baconquest
    11 years ago

I'll second Jojo on the 5-1-1. 5 parts pine bark fines (or unscreened pine bark mulch works well for me!), 1 part sphagnum moss 1 part perlite. Throw in a 1/4 cup of lime and your plants will thank you. My tree perked up within 24 hours of re-potting. It was incredible.

• devinisagemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello everybody,
    I repotted in miracle grow citrus,cactus & palm soil mix,and also got miracle grow house plant food are those good for the tree?
    I'll post pics below of the soil&fertilizer but I have a few more questions ...
    are these flower buds in the middle of these new leaves they look like little yellow/green/white balls...?
    Also the top leaves got huge!

• devinisagemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's another pic...

• devinisagemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The top leaves are getting huge!

• devinisagemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The soil mix I got.

• devinisagemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The fertilizer I got C:

11 years ago

Yes, those are flower buds :-)

No, that mix is not what I would call "good" for Citrus.
    It has none of the properties of a good Citrus mix described in this Thread.
    Off the shelf, options are limited. Fafard's offers a couple heavyweight mixes
    that are very good, but not available in most parts of the country. The next closest
    thing, and the most commonly available, would be a barky "Orchid Mix."

The fertilizer is adequate, but you will need to supplement the Calcium/Magnesium
    most likely - unless the bottle specifically indicates those elements.

Josh

• devinisagemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks josh,
    I'm not too sure how to mix things myself so I gave up and oped the."citrus" soil mix would be better than the horrible mix I made XD
    what brand are the mixes you listed above?
    I'm so excited to see flower buds!!!
    They're all over the branches.
    How often do you recomend I water/fertilize?
    Thank you,
    -Devin

• devinisagemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

how exactly do i supplement the cal&mag? and how often?

• devinisagemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Why are the new young leaves wilting whenever i put them in the sun?
    sunburn?
    Help!!

11 years ago

If you're putting the new leaves in outdoor sun, they will wilt.
    Try putting the plant in outdoor shade. Outdoor shade is still several times brighter
    than your sunniest indoor window. Slowly adjust your tree to the outdoor sun.

Josh

• devinisagemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks josh,
    I did what you said and the trees been in shade all day now im wondering if the tree remains in shade until the new leaves are strong enough to be in sunlight again how will that affect the new flower buds do they need plenty of direct sunlight?I guess the true question is, is there any specific care changes I should make to acclimate the tree while its flowering to keep it happy?
    Also since being in shade the leaves have not drooped thanks again!

Devin

• devinisagemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The leaves are stronger now then they've ever been, Thanks Josh.

11 years ago

Very good :-)

Now that the leaves are firmer, increase the light exposure.
    Yes, you want light for good flowering and fruit-set. Just remember,
    one beauty of a containerized plant is that you can control how much
    light it receives; so move the plant if it reacts negatively.

Josh

• devinisagemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Awesome thanks josh,
    I'll be sure to let up on constantly moving the tree to the sunniest spots while the new growth developes and hardens up.
    I heard the flowers smell amazing cant wait!
    I'll be back for help if another obstacle arises.
    Without everyone here my tree would be a gonner.
    Thanks again,Devin.

• devinisagemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Its happening again...what should I do?

• devinisagemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Is there a way to reverse the curling?
    Or is it normal?
    Thanks,Devin.

11 years ago

Go through the checklist:
    1. hydration - over, under watering?
    2. is the mix drying out properly?
    3. is the plant free of pests?
    4. too much heat/light/wind?

Josh

• devinisagemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think I was over watering,Im gonna start watering every monday and feed every other monday.
    Hopefully that helps.

11 years ago

Also, poke a wooden kabob skewer deep into the pot and leave it there.
    Check every few days to see if there is moisture on the stick in the bottom of the pot.
    When the stick almost feels dry, you are safe to water.

Josh

• devinisagemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thatsa hella good idea im gonna try it C':

• devinisagemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Heres an update on the flower buds,how long till you think the bloom?
    -Devin

• devinisagemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Also is it healthy/normal for the new branch to be slightly bent downwards.

11 years ago

Yes, normal. The new growth is pliant, especially when warm during the day. Indoor growth also tends to be stretchy, looking for light. You can always prune later in the Spring. As for the buds....the first should be opening any day now.

Josh

• devinisagemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cool thank you I was a little worried the branch supporting the flower buds might bend too far and break D:
    Also, Does each flower grow an individual lemon, or one lemon per cluster of buds?
    Thanks
    -Devin

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

No, the flowers will not break the branch. And, each flower can set one fruit. For such a young tree, if you get fruit set, I would remove the fruits at the bb size. Let your little tree get a bit bigger so it can support fruit.

Patty S.

11 years ago

Yep, I agree with Patty :-)
    At this size, remove the fruit to encourage growth.

• rorion
    10 years ago

Hello I bought two improved meyer lemons from Lowes they were doing fine blooming and setting until it got colder and I brought them, now they have dropped there leaves and some of the branch tips have turned brown what can I do to save my lemon trees ?

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Rorion, you're probably better off starting a brand new message, instead of tacking onto an older message thread. Also, please include where you live and zone. And if your trees are in the ground or container (sounds like you're talking about container citrus, so your topic is quite different that the original poster's thread).

Patty S.

• tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
    10 years ago

One year old Meyer one lemon stayed.

• bakermike
    9 years ago

leaves are turning yellow and the lemons are falling off. it is in a container that i just brought into the greenhouse for the winter. i gave it some micro nutrients and epsome salts, thought it would help but so far no luck, any help appreciated, thanks mike

• dontommyg
    9 years ago

Hi bakermike. If leaves are turning yellow it might need nitrogen, don't put salts there. Are they curing too?