Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eahamel

Anyone growing Republic of Texas Orange?

eahamel
11 years ago

I got one yesterday. It had a couple of fruit on it. I ate them. They were good, but very hard to peel. I'm thinking about taking it back and exchanging it for something that I can peel without tearing it up - the orange clings to the peel. Is this typical of this orange, or does this improve as the tree matures?

Comments (3)

• VaeVictus
    11 years ago

I'm surprised you could find that cultivar in SoCal. I couldn't find any even online except for in TX which I assume is quarantined. Republic of Texas is valued as a supposedly far more cold hardy orange variety which supposedly in most or all other respects (including the tight peel) is of lesser quality than the rest. In zone 9a where you are less limited in your citrus choices it's not one I'd waste time on unless you are subject to real freezes (I was in 9b so maybe you really do need one that hardy). Maybe someone has some actual growing information on both hardiness and quality issues of Republic? I gave up looking as I figured they would not be able to fruit in zone 8a although anything would be better than store oranges.

We always cut juice oranges (Valencias) in half and then into slices and ate them with the peel on (the way orange slices used to be given to soccer players). You could do that with the Republic ones. I didn't like the Washington Navels even though they peeled because ours tended to be kind of dry and less tasty. Maybe you could try a Shamouti as I THINK they are supposed to peel easier and their taste is supposed to be good - no idea about what zone they need though. Or you could go with a tangerine.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

Vae, where do you see that eahamel is from California? He/she could be in Texas. Eahamel, if you're looking for an out of hand eating orange, traditionally those are in the navel orange range. If you have the Washington Navel available, that is a great choice. If you're looking for more of a juicing orange, then Vae's recommendation of a Shamouti/Jaffa orange is good if you can find it in your area. Where do you live?

Patty S.

• eahamel
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Val, I'm in Houston. Never been to SoCal.

Hoosier, I took the ROT orange back and swapped it for an Algerian Clementine, because it has an extended harvest period.

HD has gotten a lot of citrus, and I found a Washington Navel orange there, and got it. I want one I can eat out of hand, rather than juicing. Cara Cara would be great, I've gotten some at the store and really like them, but haven't seen any trees, and don't need any more citrus now, other than dwarf Meyer lemon, which I'm having a hard time finding.

Info I found said the Washington is easy to peel and has an extended harvest period and stores well. I am single, and need for citrus to stay on the tree for a while, rather than all ripening at about the same time. Info also said this was the first Naval orange, the one we all ate when we were growing up, except growing on your own tree so you control the harvest, they taste better.

Elizabeth

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus