9 years ago

Deleted

This post was edited by maggyby on Tue, Jan 27, 15 at 13:57

Comments (162)

• maggyby
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Cory, what a small world . I am so thrilled you got to see the lighthouse where I grew up. It was quite a steep and difficult road at that time, and all up hill. That has changed now. It is a tourist attraction and the road it paved so you can drive there bug it is not the same. I do not recognize it any more. I guess things never stay the same.
    It sounds like you have quite an adventuresome spirit. I love to travel as some of it solo as well but like you say it is not as easy any more. Last year I was in terrible pain in my knee when we went to Portugal . I lost some weight and haven't had any pain since July. But as we age travelling does become more of a challenge. That is why I do like to travel now. We debated whether we should wait until Rick retires but decided not to wait.
    Cory, I am sure you are not older than I am.
    I can see you had a close family and those must be wonderful memories of all the times you spent together.
    The beach sounds like it too was a wonderful experience. It is kind of nice bringing back those memories .
    We are snowed in today. Schools and offices are closed and the task of clearing the roads has begun. Our side streets are not plowed but my husband just went to work. In 24 hrs our driveway was shovelled 5 times.
    I am not going out today. Maybe should try out my new Kitchen Aid.
    Cory I know you like to make bread . Do you have any good recipes you might share. I am looking for something healthy.
    Your poor plants and trees are really taking a beating from the bugs. I can imagine how frustrating that must be. What a shame.
    I see you have snow again, also Mike,Brian and even Steve. Evan you are so lucky. Enjoy the warmth. Nice plants.
    Trace , not sure where you live.
    Have a nice day all. Maggy

• maggyby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is a realy old picture of me ( terrible picture) and my father. You can see the whistle house where the fog horn was located and behind it the original lighthouse. Maggy

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

It is absolutely amazing how gracefully we citrus'ers age.

My first fig tree growth this season.

Steve

• maggyby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Steve, I agree. Your fig tree is looking good. Are you getting snow today? Maggy

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

OMG there is so much to look at it will take me days . We had guests drop in yesterday afternoon for the super bowl congrats Mikey , I had to share my wings Maggy :-( . How was the puppy Bowl ? Maggy beautiful pics of Nova Scotia love it and may I say you and Rick make a beautiful looking couple you can really see love there . How did you make out with the snowstorm ? Here we had only a couple of inches but the traffic all day was a nightmare accidents beyond belief. They are applying salt but it's not working just way to cold . I have to water the GH this weekend and they are calling for minus 20 F lows all weekend , Yuk . Hi Mikey , Cory , Steve aren't you a handsome young man ,nice pic Hi Evan and Trace .

Brian

• maggyby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Brian, I see you found our "show and tell" Rick watched the Super Bowl and was disappointed with the outcome. Teddy watched the puppy bowl . It was hilarious. Those little puppies are so cute. Makes me want one LOL.
    Too bad you had to share your wings. Did you enjoy the game.
    Yes, lots has gone on here . I find if I miss a day it is hard to catch up.
    Thank you for your kind comments.
    We have lots of snow abc the schools are closed. Side streets not plowed.
    Rick didn't go to work until the main roads were cleared, about 10.30. It may be 36 hrs before they are finished. Nothing like Cory and Mike had though.
    I watered in my greenhouse on Sat. Glad I did. We are not near as cold as you.
    I assume you are on the bus. Enjoy your right home. Have a nice night. Maggy

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Hye my awesome friends!! I am SOOOOOO depressed...I am just so tired of all this snow..I was too tired to write anything today and was kicked out of work because the snow never got better...It is still snowing heavily and now I can't see out of my windows..I have never seen this much snow before...Look at these pics and tell em what you think...I promise to be back and look at all the posts friend d my friend here soon...Much love...

These slopes of snow are not even shoveled slopes..They are just drifts on top of drifts!!!I swear that if my greenhouse had no heat, it would on covered the greenhouse entirely!!

This fence is 6 feet high..See how hight the snow is? It is just snow on top of snow without shoveled!!
    {{gwi:2123607}}

That Arbor is 9 feet hight!!!!

{{gwi:2123608}}

Can't see out these windows or this door to get to my greenhouse! ! YOu see it way out there?

{{gwi:2123609}}

{{gwi:2123610}}

{{gwi:2123611}}

Now, I can no longer get to my greenhouse!! I have to come up with a plan by tomorrow on where to put the snow..I couldn't get into there today((( I'm tired..lol

• maggyby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mike, I feel so bad for you. You sure are snowed in. We have a lot as well but not as much as you. Don't let it get you down It will go away eventually. We are waiting to get our street plowed but might not be until tomorrow.
    You greenhouse looks like you won't get there for awhile. Maybe this will convince you to move south.
    Let us know how you are doing my friend. Thinking of you. Maggy

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

We do not have any snow yet. We have had maybe 2 inches so far this year. I got lots of veggie starts seeded and growing. No mater how much snow I get I can dive right into the greenhouse anyway. Your snow is beautiful. I am glad I have none. If I get snow I have no place to put it but in my drive way in order to clear the side walks. I just planted some collards and sweet onion seeds and placed them in my heating duct for warmth to speed up germination. This works so well that I am going to make a seed bed in a heating duct to sprout things.

Steve

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

OMG Mikey I hope you own a snowblower that's crazy !! Your GH is almost buried . Well the snow will make a great insulation . Did you party hardy last ? Congrats . We had a little bit of a party ourselfs . I ate everything you can think of that is bad for the human body and the sweets I did nothing but toss and turn in bed last night . I was lucky if I slept 1hr . As you can imagine bed time early tonight . Great pics my friend hugs buddy and big hug to mom .

Brian

night

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

She said : your kitchen is to beautifull for words with all them orchid flowers, OMG why is he so thin ? but is also very handsom !
    Must be good eating and them trips to the gym is all I dared to add. Then and only then she puts me in on my spot while asking why aren't my hoyas in bloom. My responce a good women and all the shoes she wants shoes super seed any outside hot house here. Go figure right ?

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Oh Mike, I feel so bad for you. I was feeling sorry for myself but you have it much worse. Do you have ice layers too like I do? 3" on the bottom and 3" on top solid ice and the middle 8" are compressed snow but not ice. It is very heavy. I had to get out some heavy metal shovels to chop through it. Some of the ice blocks I just lift up and throw somewhere as they are too heavy to pick up with the shovel. I can't even get the snow off my car as it is solid ice a couple of feet tall. I can't even open any of the doors as the electric locks stopped working so I can't unlock the doors even with the key. I guess tomorrow is another day. I just hope I don't have to get out for an emergency. A wire or pole must have come down down the street as first a fire department car and then a police car was parked at my corner all day blocking traffic. Fortunately we did not lose power. They sat there hours watching me shovel. I was thinking that at least they are near by if I needed CPR if I got a heart attack shovelling all this icy snow. I assume the problem was electric as a huge bucket truck finally came up the hill to talk to the policeman and then they both left. I shoveled several more hours after that and fortunately I had made a roast beef with roasted veggies so when I came in everything was cooked. I can hardly move due to a mix of aches and being frozen. It is very cold and windy too. I bent down to clear snow from my greenhouse furnace air intake and didn't see a stick that was covered with snow and it hit me hard in the mouth. I thought I was bleeding all over but I guess because it was so cold it didn't bleed much. I guess my tooth cut into my lip on the inside so I can feel it swelling, but I don't want to look. I really A rough day for most of us I guess. But when I see how much you have I say to myself it could have been worse. I kept thinking of you saying it is good you have a good six pack stomach, although to me that would sound like a beer belly which you do not have. I am hoping all this hard work will tighten up my belly. I'm trying to look at the bright side of this. Well, goodnight my friend. Try to not think about it too much until tomorrow. Everything seems much better when the sun is shining.

Oh no, the electricity just went out! It just came back on again. I hope it stays on. Now I have to go out and reset all the greenhouse fans and all the other devices in my house.

Cory

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

The electricity went on and off about 6 times and sometimes we have had reduced voltage for several minutes several times and there was a strong smell of burning plastic. I checked everything in my house and everything is ok. Must have been outside. Everything seems stable now for a while. I will have to go out to the greenhouse and reset the fans again. I did call the electric company about it in case something was wrong at one of the neighbors houses. Everybody looks like they have lights. For some reason I am on a different circuit than all my neighbors. Once we were out for days but everyone around me had lights. Now I make sure to call in as the company didn't realize we were still out.

Maggy, I was thinking about when it was I saw the lighthouse. I think it must have been around 1990. Quite a long time ago now. Time goes fast. That was probably before they built the road and viewing platforms or maybe during, as there was construction or something going on there. It really was not a road I was driving on. It was very steep, rocky, and was all scrubby trees. It was hard to fit my car through. It is good I didn't get stuck. I was looking on the internet for some history of your lighthouse. Was your father Angus, the last lighthouse keeper? It is amazing how you still look very much like the young girl in the picture of you and your father. Where did you actually live? In the white house below the light? It is so interesting to know you lived there.

Cory

• maggyby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mike and Cory, My heart goes out to both of you. I cannot imagine that much snow. We are so lucky because our neighbour shovels us out. He just comes over every time it snows. I saw him out there 3 times in Sun. Then in the summer he moves our front and side lawn every time he does his. He is so kind. I must make him a big batch of cookies.
    Mike, did you get your snow cleared? Can you get in your greenhouse? I have to get Rick to shovel a path to mine .
    Cory, did you get your electricity restored. I hope it wasn't out too long and that your plants are o.k. Too bad the policeman didn't shovel for you.
    I do admire your humour. I cannot imagine shovelling for hours. You must be so sore and exhausted, and then to lose power.
    I am thinking of you both
    Cory, thank you for the interest in my lighthouse. My father was not Angus, in fact that is a different lighthouse. My father was Earl Leeman and he retired in 1958 after 33 years as lighthouse keeper. We lived in the bottom of the original lighthouse. I can remember some fierce storms and the sea 60 feet below hitting the house once during a hurricane. My father had to carry me to the village through the storm.
    Brian, how are you doing? Did you get much snow. I think we are getting more tomorrow.
    Steve you sure are inventive. Good for you.
    Hi Trace. Maggy

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Maggy, I can't get over that you are the daughter of a LIght House keeper!! I am with Cory on this one>>!!
    I feel honored..You know, it's a funny thing, but I think we are all light house lovers too..I have always loved light houses and some day I promised myself to take a pic of me in front of as many light houses as I can, starting with Hampton Beach!
    Maggy, you impress me with your stories and pics..Please, keep them coming..It cheeers me up on the darkest of days and makes me smile..I don't have as much good memories to share, but I sure love hearing others..I love it...
    Yes, I did get a path to the greenhouse..It's about six inches wide, just enough for someone skinny like me to walk it..It's bad..I have NO where to throw anymore snow if I get another 6 to 12 inches this Thursday and now Sunday..I'm tired!
    I took my greens, amino acids, did a stomach work out and went to the Chiroprcator, I am ready if I need be..
    My Amino acids really helped with the sore muscles, and my Chiropractor helped with the stiffness...I feel like a new man, but the thought of snow just wears on me...I can feel the sun getting warmer, but come on now.lol

Thank you for your concern as always...I want to move south but it's not that easy..I am planning on taking a trip to South Carolina just to get a sense of what it is like down there..It may get cold once in a while, but who cares..As long as I get more warm days than cold and the sun is at an higher angle, I am all for it!

Maggy you are soooo cute in that picture..I would ask someone like you out for a date looking like that as I can also see the innocent personality wrapped in there too..So cute!

Maggy, if you want miniature orchids, J & L is the way to go..Even Cory loves this place..In fact, they will be at my orchid show next wek and I can't wait! I have many from them. I love these people for knowledge, friendliness and selection...

How have you been? How's your girlfriend? Hows the dogs? I see they come in with forzen bellies when they walk..lol I can imagine that..I know what that is like...
    They must love running around in it though!! How much snow do you have on the ground? How;s the orchids doing? How's the citrus? I am glad you said you have little to no bugs...They hate the cold and moist for sure. I have none on mine either, thank God..If I loose just one tree to the colder temps in compared to many to bugs, well I prefer the colder temps..

Maggy, what beautiful pics of that light house!! You must miss being there..I love the fog rolling in..That must of been spectacular!! I'll bet you miss the sea..Do you try to get a chance to see the ocean often? I sure would..

Hugs to you and from Mom too)

MIke

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Tue, Feb 3, 15 at 19:13

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Evan are you not just jealous a tiny bit for snow? lololol

I can see that your Madagascar palm is in heaven now!! I woulkd be too sitting in full sun on such nice days..I could tell you did not panick when the frost got to your plants..In fact, I think you might like it since it's renewel and bud formation for many of your plants....Like here when the leaves fall, the new growth always looks better than the old...Good for you man! I wish I could spend days in warm weather with you..This cold weather is just so harsh for so long....

Thanks for giving us an update..Please come back soon and keep in touch!!

MIke

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Cory, when will it end for you? The ugly parts of owning a home, greenhouse and your own yard? If I were there, I would help you 1005%%
    oK, YOU DID MMAKE ME LAUGH A HECK OF A LOT THOUGH.. You and your stories,..lllllololol And yes, I could't believe that Trace was not an Asian girl...Trace. never correcetd me on the name...lol Oh. too much..I got a huge laugh out of your stories and every one elses...I can't believe that Steve grew broccoli tha size of his head!!! Lololol..I was going to tell him they were really big since his head is really big..hahahah Sorry Steve, I just had too..lol
    Cory, I am still waiting for a nice pic of you and don't worry, if it's bad, I will still love ya..Stop saying you are the oldest one here, you will never be older than any of us with all the work you do and all the knowledge you have..As far as I am concerned, your writings, posts, personality and humor are all young to me..Who cares about the number..Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and let us see, you don't haver to look..
    I hear you are a knock out and that is why I believe all those bugs in your greenhouse are hard to get rid of...Who would not want to be around you as often as they like too)
    You and I know that consistency is the key..They will die, eventually..I have to ask Bob what he uses...I never sae him this past Friday, but I will this one....He has NONE now and he was loaded before I started..You should use me to get rid of them. I can promise you I would if I was left in charge...I give them no chance to take hold, none at all...

Cory, what is going on with the electricity? Is it ok now? That can be a scary thing to loose..I call my house every day to make sure my mother is keeping an eye on my thermometers...I pay her to be my eyes while I am away...I can't afford for it to go out just once while I am away, not when it's in the teens by day and below 0 at night..Oh, I wish this dam cold would leave..I wish the jet stream would dip in the west and rise in the east for a change and give us our sunny days and Bermuda highs again....That darn High pressure Block in Greenland is back again for the second year...

I hear you about shoveling ice with snow..How frustrating that can be..Thank goodness all my snow is very dry and light..I can't asee one bush, shrub or any small tree for that matter buried under my snow..All I see is snow! You'd thing I live in Siberia! Now more to come all week...I will have to walk with snow shoes if this keeps up...Sheesh, I think I should go skiing again.
    I can't believe that the officwr didn't even lift a finger..They are like that here too..It's stupid! If he had done so, someone could of tweeted it onto the web and he could of become a youtube sensation!!! His loss..lol
    Cory, I feel bad for you too...I don't know how you do it my friend..Do you ever get discouraged? Is that why you love coming here and love us..? Do we lift your spirits? I hope so because you sure could use a dose of happiness quite often...How's the family, your brother in particular? Tell him my family cares for him)

Cory, with all the hard manual labor that you do, I am surprised that you don't have a 6 pack! You should.lol
    You are right, when the sun is oiut everything seems better..I wish we had it more often than so...When I see the sun out and melt what snow it touches.....It thrills me...Now the sun is starting to make an impact although the sun index is only 2...But it was 0 just 2 weeks ago...Sun index should be about 6 by the time March gets here, and then we will be looking for our shade cloths..Yahoo..lol

Cory, abosolutely, I will share a cutting with you..I am going to take a few pics of the plant so you can drool over it..I forget where I got it. but I know from a friend that gave me rare ones...It's is one of my faves! The flowers are sooo dark! Like velvet and leaves so pretty.

MIke

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Steve.You are a riot!!! And you were ging to show us your wifes head between two brocclis...? Lolol..
    You make me laugh..By the way, my mother thinks you have a cute face..lol
    she says she would never allow the amount of plants that you have to exist in the house, but heck, I have probably many more and I still get away with it..lol
    You grow from hefty fruit and vegis Id say..Bravo!!!

Loving you ideas..I wish I could put a lean to iup against my house and plant a roof garden..

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

TRACE, what's up? lol How's that...And here after all this time I thought your were Asian..Thaks for clearing that up..lol
    I don't even want to ask me what you thought I loooked like..lol
    I love those trees you have..How's the color on that new tree now that you fed and got it into warmer temps?
    That looks like it could be a beauty! You know just what to do to make it better. You are real good at that. It seems that everything you grow, looks great.
    How's your Mom Trace? Is she getting better? Is she hoe resting now? How's her appitite?
    I'll bet she lost weight..Mines did. She look sgreat now but the key is to keep her off the oild and bad foods...
    Maggy was such a boost for her and if you ever have any questiosn, she is the go to for support I tell upi.
    Yes, I am finally glad you crawled out of your shell and have been more open with us..It's fun having you arouns too..I love your sense of humor these days..We are a great bunch of people here..Now. imagine if we had a party? lololol..I can only imagine that.
    hey. by the way, doesn't it shock you on how much we change in a few years? Sacry, right? I can't even look at my high school pics..I want to cry..lol I use to be a model for department stores, but that was long ago..I use to win male beauty string bikin pagenats along with women ones..I use to dance for night clubs with no shirt, but we will stop there..lololol
    Hope you are having a great night my friend..Let us see some more pics please...

Hugs to you too

MIke

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Brian, my dear dear friend Brian!!!! How are ya???
    Where's the pic????? Or should that have said..Where's the beef? hahahah
    Come on man, show and telll..Let's see that handsome pic of yours...All that long brown here and slim and trium bod..lol
    No one is going to care if you still look like that, and in fact you might be more handsome to us than you think...I know for sure Sugar is!!! If he looks anything like you, then that's good ha.
    How is the fig tree doing? Mine are just waiting to open with all thus sun now, but the room is still very cold thank God...It would be to early to let them see outside if they busted out in leaves!
    You are right! All that snow has every plant I know or own under 5 feet of it..It will act as an insulatio blanket right up until about March! By then, just maybe the Arctic blast will be a thing of the past. right...

My mom told me to send her love to you and that she is much better. Thanks buddy for that and for asking...

No snow blower here..Just all muscle buddy..lol

Yes GO PATS!!!! WE won in the 22 seconds we had left by a miracle..lol Someone here said their husband was not too happy about it..I'll get them later.lol

How much snow do you have? How are the bugs? Are they gone? Hows the temps in there? Are you only using one space heater even when it's below 0? Wowowowo buddy!

Hugs to you too..

Mike

• jodik_gw
    9 years ago

Hey, Everyone! Very nice pictures from you all! Good looking group! And nice flowers and plants, too!

Mike, I'm blown away... wow! You remind me of Tom Cruise! I kid you not! You didn't tell me you were such a looker! :-) (wolf whistle!) ;-)

Nice cat, too! The Old Guy's Mom had several Siamese cats when he was a kid, and he said he always hated them... he said they had bad attitudes! ;-)

And of course, your plants are always impressive! You never fail to make me ooh and ahh over the selection of flowers you're able to grow!

I'm also blown away by the amount of snow you guys ended up with... although, two good points are the insulation they provide for plants, and it's always good to have enough precipitation fall, to replenish ground water and clean the earth!

I know, though... shoveling is not fun! Not even a snow blower would be fun in that!

Well, I guess I might as well give it up, since so many others did... this is my husband and myself, all cleaned up for our son's wedding...

{{gwi:2123612}}

Mike, you give Mom a big hug for me... and I'll try to write more tomorrow when I get a chance... I've got a busy evening going on, getting packages ready to send to my grandson for his Birthday, and trying to get some pills down my dog's throat...

I've also got more orchid pictures to post, but still need to get help from my Old Guy getting them over to my machine so I can re-size and whatnot.

Have a great evening, Everyone! :-)

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Hello everyone.

Maggy it looks like you are getting more snow. We are supposed to get a little more tomorrow and Thursday. I was out chopping ice again today and trying to uncover my car while the sun was out. It was cold though so the ice was not melting. I got my car uncovered and got it started.
    Tomorrow it will probably be covered again but I will get out there right away this time and get it off before it ices so hard again. Not much time left for my plants these days though. I put my debugged trees up high in the peak again so I could get to the fans to turn them back on. It did smell nice in there as all the trees are blooming. The electricity stabilized after a while last night. I don't know what was going on. Everything is ok. Mike, I'm glad you were able to cut out a little path to your greenhouse as you would feel helpless if you couldn't get to it during an outage. One year my door got frozen shut and I just couldn't get it open. It was a worry not to be able to get in there to water or check on the heat. I make sure the door is constantly clear of ice build up now. Mike, yes I am a knock out, or maybe I should say knocked out from all the shoveling. I am very tired tonight and will be going to sleep. I am fine though. Not even achey. Thanks for rooting me a piece of the dark flowered hoya. Hello Nomen. I haven't got a clue as to what you were saying above but I know from other posts you are very knowledgeable about plants and have a very nice collection.

Cory

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Jodik, my goodness..You two are a very handsome couple..Wwowowow..You looked really nice that day and I hope you look like that everyday..lol

Thank you for your kind comments on our pics and plants and I can't wait to see more of yours for sure..What about those Amarillys? Yeah!
    You actually look pain free there..I hope you were!
    Tell Larry to keep his beard, he looks very young with it...

LOl.Ah, you have me at a blush..lol. Don't laugh, i was at the Outlet Stores in this past fall with my ritzy sunglasses on and I had two people approach me asking for my auto graph..They thought I was Tom in a disguise..lol Too funny!

Tell the old man that he would love mine..Mine is as affectionate as can be and acts like a dog..Will follow me down into the a 6 foot hole if I was to go there..Even into the shower to watch be bathe..This cat is crazy!

Thank you..I am glad my plants make you swoon..lol. That is why you must have a couple of the best of the bunch once I can split them..Some are so much easier to care for than you think..Anything is easier than a gardenia..hahahha.

Snow blowers not fun??Just ask Cory..I think she has more problems with that thing instead of shoveling..I don't want or ned one for sure..

You sons wedding must of been awesome..I know it was pretty recent and not centuries ago, so that means you still look great...I hope you had a blast there. It's amazing how fast time goes...

I understand you being busy, and I am so glad you took the time to get to know us and share..By the way,
    WHERE IS EVRYONE TODAY? I THINK I SCARED BRIAN AWAY ASKING FOR A PIC..(

Oh wait. Cory did write..Let me see what she said)
    I wish you all the best and out of pain for the day. Yes, I will give Mom ahug for you!!

Please post more orchids and plants, I can't wait and I am sure we all can't wait...Much love

Mike

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Cory, where are our other friends?????

Where is Brian? I think Brian is afraid to post a pic here of himself..Brian, that's ok..You don't have too..It's your heart that I see and I like it))

Cory, what a PAIN chopping ice..Thank God I don't have that..It has not warmed enough for anything to melt at all and even if it did, the snow fell so light and high, that one day in teh 40's and it would shrink to abojut a foot high...I hope..My snow feels more like the kind of see on the slopes, nice and soft and makes a funny squeek under your feet when you walk on it..I can't even make a snow man of it...
    I am happy the electricity is ok and that it smelled so good in your greenhouse..Yummy...You know, maybe it will get so cold in there that the bugs will take a hike for a change! Oh would that be nice for sure...How's the bug situation going these days? Are they staying away yet? I will find out what we use for sure this Friday for you..Please remind me please..By the way, It will be a heck of a LLOOONNNGGG time before I see my frogs again or even my solar lights and shrubs..Everything is covered to the hilt. I see nothing in my yard except for the snow piles and greenhouse..I pray to God we don't get stuck in the weather pattern like we did last year, ALL of last year..It was into the 40's by night in July for crying out load..We need a break. Why can't we go above normal for a change here in the east and let the west go below normal for a change? I stinks!
    I miss the blue skies like we use to go for days on ends..Now I'd be lucky to see a blue sky for more than one day in a row..Even in summer!
    Thank you..I am afraid that I won't be able to make a path anymore unless the snw melts before our next storm..Arg..I only have two full 30 gallon buckets left in the basement for fresh rain water and then I run dry..This has never happened..I have 4 30 gallon buckets and usually it will thaw once or twice in winter and rain so I can fill up just once!! Luckily, the 2 30 gallon buckets I am almost done with lasted me from November..I am hoping the two full ones I have left will last into at least March when the rains come again..Keeping my fingers crossed!

I am glad you are ok...If you want me to root a piece of that Hoya, that is ok..I was oing to just cut some up and send them to you..But if you want me too no problem)
    I still have yet to show you a few good pics of them) ..They flower faithfully every spring into summer and fall)

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Hey Nomen!! Whats going on???

You looking forward to the Orchid Fest!!Oh yeah..Let go...It's next week and I will be going there by noon to get first pickins on the orchids!!
    J and L will be there along with other geat orchids sellers!
    Thanks for your nice comments pal...You made me blush.lol
    Looking forward to seeing you again)
    Go figure..lol YOu are too funny man....Have a great night

MIke

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

Yeah I know it's your job to make sure the doors are open they cant start with out you.
    See the empty pot ? I'm bringing it with me, had intended to get one like it for you as well but $$$ biddings went a bit to high for something used. Ohh well next time maybe ( sometimes said as guppy, guppy) at least I have something else in mind.

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Hello Mikey your a funny man actually very funny lol. What's up with another foot of snow for you guy's . Where are you going to put it ? It looks very possible that your GH will totally be buried ? just think a couple of weeks ago you thought winter was going to miss you guy's . I am looking forward to going to the GH this weekend to see if my tree's are starting to blossom it's been very sunny here but cold the only blip was yesterday were we had 6 inches of very fluffy snow . They are saying that there will be a very good chance that we will have a very early spring . Looks like it will be 3 weeks ahead of schedule this year with the rest of the spring looking very warm , fingers crossed . All your flowers look so beautiful really amazing . Mike I live about 8 hrs to the northwest of you and about the same to Maggy's not that far . You take care my friend and give mom a big hug for me please . Maggy how are you my friend ? Do you have a big weekend planned ? This weekend we are planning on doing nothing but eat and sleep . Last weekend was so busy . I have to water in the GH this weekend and it is going to be so cold . I am hoping my clemenules will still be a live . Loved all your pics and loved the pic of you with your father. We used to spend our summers on Prince Edward Island when we were children and you look just like my parents friends daughter it unreal . We used to play on the beach all 6 of us , we had so much fun . Childhood memories are the best . So Rick didn't like the outcome of the super bowl lol . You know Mikey won't leave that one alone lol. Have a great night Maggy . Cory that must have been scary loosing your power like that . This is my biggest nightmare coming home to a totally frozen GH . Are you in for a snowstorm this weekend like Mikey . Jane have a nice night lol. Your funny . Have a nice night everyone hugs hugs.

Brian

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

It is good to hear from all of you. I am very pleased to experience the snow though all your fine pictures. Here in Cincinnati we have a total snow fall of 4 inches for this season. We had a sunny day today. At high noon with an outdoor temperature of 22F, I had a 72F temperature rise for a greenhouse temperature of 94F. I was pleased but we have a long way till spring. It has been colder than normal this month.

Mike
    From the picture way up , is that ET's flying saucer shinning through the snow.

Trace
    I bet you are sailing through this winter down south. You are 1 degree further south tha n Mikes 5 degrees north of me.

Jodik
    I agree with mike. You 2 look great, and I can add a lot sharper than my wife and I. Keep up the good work.

Steve

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Hello,

I haven't had much time in the greenhouse the past few days but tonight when I went to make sure the heat was ok I saw this white dendrobium nobile starting to bloom. Mike I forgot to check it for scent, but I think it does. It's just that the trees are so strong I didn't think to see if this den. was contributing to the fragrance in there.

The temperature dropped a lot suddenly this afternoon. I went to the grocery store with just my down vest and no gloves as usual but by the time I got home and was bringing everything into the house I got so cold I needed a coat and especially gloves. The wind chill factor must have made it so cold. Brian, I don't know how you take such cold temperatures. We are supposed to go to 6°F tonight and that would seem like a heat wave compared to what you have had lately.

Cory

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Testing to see if I can get the pictures to post correctly. It doesn't expand on my phone does it for you. This time I held the phone horizontally.

Cory

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Camera held vertically. This one expands when it is opened and displays in the correct direction when opened.

Cory

• jodik_gw
    9 years ago

Good morning, Everyone!

My, what beautiful pictures! I only hope to have such nice orchids to show off some day!

I was looking through my picture albums, and since I'm always the one taking the pictures, there aren't many of me... but I did manage to come up with one or two for a more realistic idea of what Grandma looks like every day...

This is me and my Old Guy...

{{gwi:2143392}}

And this is Grandma riding my grandson's bike last summer!

{{gwi:2143393}}

And this is my Rosie, busy holding down the bed as you can see! She's an Olde Bulldogge.

Okay... definitely time for coffee! Have a lovely day, Everyone! :-)

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Deleted

This post was edited by cory001 on Fri, Feb 6, 15 at 9:45

• birdsnblooms
    9 years ago

Mike.... You look like a younger Tom Cruise!!
    After all this time talking, I had no idea you're so good-looking.
    Toni

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Mike, I see the forecast is a ton of snow coming your way again tomorrow. Our snowstorm seems to have been downgraded a little. What a bummer for you! Do you think your greenhouse can withstand it? I'm not even sure where this one is coming from. I only see some bad weather activity way out west way above the Great Lakes so far.
    That must be it though as there is nothing else on the map I am looking at. Rest up tonight.

Cory

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Wow Jodik. You look like you have some strong protection by the looks of your Old Guy and Rosie! You are quite cute so I can see why you may need it. Hello Hopeful! It is nice to see all Mike's friends dropping by. You too Nomen.

I think there may be problems with this site. There hasn't been many postings the last few days and I have tried posting but the messages don't get through. Are you experiencing the same?

Cory

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Where are all the Citrus Bugsters? Shoveling snow?

Cory

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Watering my greenhouse and sweating in the 100F sun here is my sweetlee#4 top

{{gwi:2143394}}

Steve

Here is Meyer #2

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Taking picture of my veggies start hanging from nail in the side of my house.
    steve

This post was edited by poncirusguy on Sat, Feb 7, 15 at 15:54

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Here is a link to a free book on Amazon.com. I think it was written in 1860s? It is a very interesting book and also quite witty. He talks about his unorthodox gardening methods which reminds me of Steve's methods and also a bit of Mike. He talks about all the orchids that are brought to the auction tables and the orchid hunters that risked their lives to get them. Maybe Steve could read it as voice on a Kindle. My original one has an experimental voice conversion. I don't know if they have that feature anymore. I am reading it on my phone. I'll have to see if they have the voice translator feature built into the android version. If you don't already know the Kindle reading software for Android is free. This is also a Guttenberg book so you can find it in other formats on the net. It is also probably in the IPhone store and it probably is free there too. There are also some of the writer's (Frederick Boyle) books on orchid culture on the net for free. STEVE, HE TALKS ABOUT MAKING HIS RAISED BEDS with street sweepings and I think I remember him having rooftop gardens. He also talks about his water garden and his pet frogs. He also tells about the misconception that orchids were expensive and tells about all the bargains he got and when you can find the bargains. He also tells all the plants he grows in his cold greenhouse and why he likes them best. He talks about his outdoor gardens and how when he tried the advice of the experts he failed but by watching his plants he learned to see what they need to grow well. It is a very interesting and almost poetic read and you do feel like you are sitting there chatting with him about orchids.

Cory

Here is a link that might be useful: Orchid Chat

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Hey everyone there is no limit to what we can do here, Imagine a post with over a million entries.

• tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
    9 years ago

Don't know if I would want that many in a post.

Trace

• maggyby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Snowing here lightly. Oh but it is cold. Mike how are you surviving ? I keep seeing pictures of Boston on the news . Unbelievable .seems like I have been so busy lately. We are having Rick's daughter,son in law and two grandchildren for the week end . So I have to clean the house and cook.

Cory I just made bread again . It is so easy . I love the kitchen aid . Made raisin rye and 12 grain today. I did notice the machine gets hot and I am only running it at 2 . Do you notice that with yours . I have the professional 600 series with the metal bowl.I am only making one loaf at a time but it makes 8-9 loaves but I can' I imagine it handling that much dough.

Steve I am glad you are e cited about the number of pictures you can post.

Trace you are funny. So glad you stayed here .

Getting a hair cut is so exhausting.

Maggy

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Maggy, the pups are so cute.

Yes, the mixer can get hot. It has an overheat fuse on it but I have never had a problem with mine. Maybe you should call KA and ask about it since it is new. I think that may be the reason I only make one batch at a time thoughthough too. I usually use my bread machinesmachines and add the mixer when I need many loaves. I have 2 after I rescued one from the shore house. My sisters and cousins have bread makers already so I just keep the extra in case mine breaks and for a spare when I am making many loaves for a party. I use it often so decided not to give it away.

Cory

• maggyby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The pups are pretty sweet. Very gentle and loving. They bring us a lot of joy.

The machine didn't get really hot, probably just warm. I do find it easy to make bread now. I always made my bread by hand. I should think about a bread machine. Is there a particular one that you would recommend ? It seems there are a lot on the market. Maggy

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

I have 2 different single paddle Breadman machines because they were both gifts to me. I made bread mostly by hand before that until I got my KA mixers. I like them a lot. The newer one has a curved paddle and more of a traditional bread pan, but both are good. They both have the jam making feature. I have very limited programing ability with them but that is ok as I never need it I think. I think it might be nice to have the automatic fruit loading feature, but they do beep when it is time to load the fruit. Also it would be nice to have a model that retracted the paddles before it bakes or had a beep that sounded to tell you to manually remove the paddle so you don't get the hole in the bottom. If you just use the dough setting and bake in your oven that is not a problem. M8ne bake fine but I like it even better in the oven as I can have different shapes and a nicer crust. But having the convenience of just loading the ingredients and have a loaf of bread about 3 hours later is great. KA recommends the Zo brand and sell them on their sight but they are sold elsewhere. They are more expensive and I don't know if the price differential is justified. I think they are also more programable. My Breadmen have held up well even being used all the time for many years. I will send a link as I can't spell the full Zo brand name. name. They have a machine with a very small footprint, but I think it may only make a smaller, upright loaf. People seem to like the Zos. BREADMAN IS THE ONLY ONE I have used. My cousin has used the others I think. BREADMAN IS VERY EASY TO CLEAN. SOME OF THE OTHERS MAY NOT BE. Sorry I can't see what I am typing and it is too hard to make corrections because as soon as I start typing again I can't see anything again. I WILL GET YOU A LINK. ON Amazon you can read the reviews and find the new features. I think a lucked out with my Breadman though.

Cory

• maggyby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks once again Cory. You are a wealth of information. Maggy

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

LET THIS ONE DROP AND STICK TO BUGS 14 OR WE WILL GET VERY CONFUSED

• maggyby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have no idea how this happened as I thought we WERE posting in Bugs 14

• hottina44
    8 years ago
    Can I feed organic food to Meyer lemon tree more than 3 times a yr a potted indoor tree?