Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pip313

budwood exchange?

pip313
9 years ago

Would there be interest from members here to have a budwood exchange or sale thread? There are a lot of local varieties that don't seem to be available online. Two from Texas that I can think off are meiwa seedless kumquat and nadel's seedless kumquat. I sure would pay a premium for these scions.

Comments (6)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

pip

It is not permitted to sell anything over this forum. You might have better luck just asking if anyone has scion twigs they could cut from there own tree. The twigs would have to come from non citrus states to go to non citrus states to be legal. My trees are seed grown except my Meyer lemon and Meyer lemons are so plentiful at low costs that the shipping would cost more than a Home Despit discount plant. It is fun that you suggest this because I might be interested in the earliest ripening mandarins. I get my first killing frost by mid October till mid November and need the fruit ripening by then.

Steve

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Pip, there are so many restrictions and quarantines with regard to the sharing of citrus products (budwood, plants, seeds, fruits), that is is not legally a good idea to even consider doing this. Plus, as Steve has mentioned, there is no selling over this forum. No one in the state of Texas is legally allowed to sell or give away budwood unless they are certified to do so - Texas is a quarantined state as HLB has been identified in the state. Even within the state, itself, much less sending something out of the state. Same for Florida, California, Arizona, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia,and South Carolina. So, nothing can come out of this state to other states, unless you are Texas A&M, providing clean budwood, and even then, there are significant restrictions they must follow. Clean budwood takes YEARS to become available. If you're interested in acquiring clean budwood, I would suggest you contact the CCPP and see if there are varieties you're interested in. We should actually probably have GW take this thread down, as the legalities with regard to sharing citrus budwood are very significant.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Save Our Citrus

• pip313
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There are plenty of people who can trade without violating quarentine. I assumed people would obey local law. While the varietys I mentioned originated in Texas it's reasonable to assume someone out of state bought them before HLB hit.

Did not know about the sale ban. So trades only.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Never assume anything, pip. And, many folks on this forum are new to citrus and have no idea whatsoever that citrus are quarantined in nearly all citrus growing states. I guarantee you will get at least one private message from someone on this forum trying to trade illegal budwood either unknowingly, or purposefully (with complete disregard to the laws in place, purely out of selfishness). I get private messages every few months asking for budwood, to sell or trade plants or seeds, etc. Most from postings on this forum.

So, this topic is probably better left off the forum. Better to do things legally. Go to the CCPP web site. You can acquire all kinds of wonderful, legal, clean budwood for very small amounts of money. This is really where we should be pointing our forum members. Other citrus growing states' ag universities, such as Texas A&M and Florida State may also offer budwood programs to the public as well - don't know because I live in California.

So, I would ask that we table this message thread. Just too dangerous and too easy for people to make bad decisions.

Patty S.

• fruitmentor
    9 years ago

Thank you, Patty.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Order Citrus Scions

• mrtexas
    9 years ago

Hate to burst your bubble on these two "meiwa seedless kumquat and nagel's seedless kumquat". Both are sour. I've had trees of both. My budwood for the meiwa seedless came from the original tree. It's not meiwa as it is meiwa x nagami. If you want a sour seedless kumquat try nordman seedless nagami which I am growing now after getting rid of the other two. Easier to find and just as good if you think sour kumquats taste good.

This post was edited by mrtexas on Thu, Feb 5, 15 at 16:08