Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spirit289_gw

Yellow Leaf Veins?

spirit289
14 years ago

Good morning, I have found this site very useful for many of the problems that I have had in my garden, thank you. But, I am having trouble with this and it is hard to pinpoint a fix because I cannot easily match my problem to other posts without pictures.

My situation:

1 Tangelo plant, in-ground, no additives, just let nature handle it. Its leaves are yellowing mainly from the veins, with some yellow leaves, and many of the leaves are curled up, almost like a boat.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46318856@N06/4253441321

1 Tangerine tree, in-pot, purchased 1 mo. ago. Veins are yellow rest of leaf is green.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46318856@N06/4253441387/

Any help is much appreciated.

Comments (4)

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

It can be a couple of things..

But as your thread suggests, yellow veining can almost always be linked to poor root function due to excessive watering or cold or hot roots temps making nutrients unavailable..

If it is an iron (Fe) deficiency, as I suspect, it's almost always can be traced to a pH induced situation, (caused by too high a pH level) and not due to the fact there is insufficient Fe in the soil, if I can assume you are using a good fertilizer.

I wish I could pull up the pics, but I am having a problem here at work to do so. But usually if the newer leaves are yellow veining, it is usually a lack of iron, because iron is not mobile in a plant, therfore the the newer leaves can not take it from the older ones..

Using something that acidifies the soil and lowers PH could correct the problem if there is iron already in the soil making it soluble and available, almost immediately..

Maybe the pictures will prove otherwise to someone else.

Thought I would at least help in some way while I had a moment..Goodluck..:-)

• tantanman
    14 years ago

Tangelos are noted for their curled leaves. It is
    common for the the ends to curl.

My container citrus with yellow main leaf viens have
    usually been due to root damage, either rot or sun
    burn on the container wall.

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

And in turn, root damage will absolutely cause an Fe deficiency.

Wish you could take a picture of the tree as a whole.

It also looks like you might have others issues with it too, after looking at the pictures of just the leaves..
    I would definately look at your watering practices, the soil that it is in, and sun burn as well...Sun burn can be from a lack of moisture in the leaves, dry air mixed with a hot sun with the inability of the roots to satisfy the need for a drink....

Hopefully many here will see what else could be wrong.

I wish you success..

Mike:-)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    14 years ago

Yellow Vein Chlorosis isn't unusual in citrus. Unfortunately, it can be caused by many factors. It may be as simple as cold weather making nitrogen less available for uptake by the plant. Or it might be caused by any number of things causing problems for the vascular system of the plant.

These might include root or soil-borne diseases, damage to the trunk (as in girdling), compaction to root/soil system, etc. Even ants can be a causal agent for YVC.

Truthfully, there are so many factors that can create a problem for the root and vascular systems of our plants that it might be hard to narrow it down for you. But the symptoms surely look like Yellow Vein Chlorosis.