Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovelycherry

Meyer Lemon xmas present LI NY

lovelycherry
9 years ago

Hi
My DD bought me a Meyer Lemon Tree for Christmas. I repotted it with a porous mix, bought a grow light and now have flowers ( loads of flowers) and a few new shoots.

I am wondering if I fertilize it now or wait? I live on Long Island NY and we are a long way off to the warm weather

I am not sure what kind of fertilizer to buy not a fan of miracle grow products.

Thanks for your input.
Lovelycherry

This post was edited by lovelycherry on Sat, Jan 24, 15 at 10:18

Comments (18)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Fertilize it at 1/2 strength. I fertilize the foliage with spray Morning and evening with the same and the trees respond nicely Foliage Pro is said to be the best. when summer breaks out you can go to 2/3 dose once a week. Spray the foliage to. I add dawn to the Plant food water mix to control insect at 1 TBSP / gallon. Can you post a picture.

If your tee is less than 3.5 feet diameter a setup like this will having you produce enough to supply your local grocery store.

This makes use of standard size lumber product that often sell as price leaders.

Steve

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Cherry, I live in NJ and my trees are flowering now too. I use Foliage Pro by Dyna Grow like most container growers do on the forum and supplement with Osmocote Plus which has the micro nutrients. I would use the Foliage Pro at half dosage until spring, especially as your tree is growing and flowering. You can buy it on the internet. It is a little hard to find even at nurseries. You need to use the Osmocote Plus formula as the other one does not have all the micronutients. I would put that on in the spring/summer. I have very high 8.3 pH city water where I live, so I add about a tablespoon of vinegar to my fertilizer mix as it helps the tree take up the nutrients, especially during the colder months. Citrus like a more neutral pH, even just slightly acidic is ok. Good luck with your tree. Do you have a picture to show everyone? We like looking at pictures of everyone's trees. It is especially nice to see trees that are growing well in northern climates.

Cory

• lovelycherry
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your help! Not sure how to load a photo but with some help would be happy to give it a try!

• lovelycherry
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How do you know your water PH? Is this the right osmocote?

Here is a link that might be useful: Osmocote

This post was edited by lovelycherry on Sat, Jan 24, 15 at 16:15

• lovelycherry
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Posted a pic to my facebook page but can't figure out how to get it here

Is this the right osmocote? Osmocote Plus Outdoor and Indoor Smart-Release Plant Food, 8-Pound (Plant Fertilizer

This post was edited by lovelycherry on Sat, Jan 24, 15 at 16:29

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

That is the correct osmocote.
    At the top just under-----------Post a Follow-Up------------You will find the line--------------------------Image file to upload (optional): "chose file" box. Click on the box and you will get access to your computer. Just browse till you get to your picture. Click on you picture and the computer will do the rest. If your picture is portrait your picture can be twice the size of landscape so take your picture in portrait form..Steve

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Yes, that is it. I think it doesn't have the calcium anymore though, but if you use the Foliage Pro too you probably don't need it. My water is full of calcium so I don't need it.

Cory

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Man, I remember a time when most people didn't have a clue on having such success in containers when I started here..Now it feels so good to see such great advice from people that are having the same success as I an doing the same routine I do..Love )

Steve and Cory, thank you..I would of said the very same things...
    May I just reiterate that vinegar has been a key is keeping my trees well nourished and green as Cory! My pH falls pretty high too..
    By the way, I miss that Osmocote with calcium too, but thank goodness the Foliage Pro has it)

Can't wait to see your pics..Boy they smell so good in flowers..I'll bet you love this tree)

MIke

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Hey all Chelate out!!!
    just use vinegar and eggshells. I also use vinegar and scrap chicken wire to get iron an zinc. I have plenty of those in scrap and I can see the difference.

Steve

• lovelycherry
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Meyer Lemon

• lovelycherry
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Meyer lemon losing leaves with flowers.

• lovelycherry
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have a grow light over the tree. I hope these photos are helpful. I feel like it is loosing too many leaves. Caught hubby watering it with tap water and the meter reads "wet" I had a freak out on him. His response was but it is loosing leaves so it must need water. Thanks for your patience with the pictures took me a while to figure out how to go from phone to computer.

This post was edited by lovelycherry on Sun, Feb 1, 15 at 10:56

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i was wondering.. if your xmas present.. was protected from cold on delivery ... if not.. there might be some transport shock ...

then you immediately transplanted it.. more shock ...

and now.. you are wanting to fertilize a .. most likely.. rather stressed plant ... and i dont prefer to encourage such ...

its also a rather large plant... and i wonder if its getting enough light ... are you supplying any light???? .. you state a grow light ... but i am thinking .. based on the size of the plant... that it is not enough .... and probably not close enough to the leaves to be of value ....so throw in a reduced light shock ....

could we see a pic of the whole set up????

you are on the verge.. of loving this thing to death .... you need to get the basics right.. so we can get it settled down ... get it over all of its shocks ....

good luck

ken

ps: thats the color of my bedroom walls... lol ...

• lovelycherry
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the light I have on the plant. I thought it would be enough. In the last photo you can see the lamp but I have it off to take photos it will give too much glare.
    https://www.kygardensupplies.com/floor-plant-light-w-27w-cfl-p-14969.html

Here is a link that might be useful: garden light argoBrite

This post was edited by lovelycherry on Sun, Feb 1, 15 at 11:34

• hottina44
    8 years ago
    Since I started spraying my Meyer with foliage pro & vinegar water 2 times a day it looks great ! Leaves don't droop & are starting to look greener. Before this I wondered if it would ever get leaves back since I got it Dec ( early ) 2015 . I think foliage pro really made a difference ! I'd take a photo if I had room on my iPhone .
  • hottina44
    8 years ago
    Do you really think Osmocote really makes a difference? I'm in NJ too. I'll try anything with this fussy 2-3 yr. old Meyer lemon. I really thought from mid Dec. after I got it that it wasn't going to grow, I knew it was alive but I thought it was stuck in dormant stage, if there's such a thing ? I really want to be a successful got Meyer lemon tree grower..Since I neglected my 1st Meyer over 15 yrs. ago but it stood up well flowered but ne
  • hottina44
    8 years ago
    After hearing you talk about foliage pro & vinagar spraying leaves really picked up my 2-3 yr. old Meyer . I'm jumping for joy! Should I get Osmocote & what kind ? Will it really make a difference ? I don't want to over do on what I ad to my fussy plant. My 1st. Meyer really spoiled me , I forgot to water many times & I lived in the basement so it never got any sun unless I took it across the Rd. & it didn't really make a difference & I did it daily from morn till the sun was gone. I just keep this one under CFL bulb 125 watt 6400 K indoors . Where I live I get no longer than1/2 hr. Of sun a day & if I leave it outdoors it would walk away .with my leg I can't go 4 floors everyday sit outdoors & carry back in. I LOVE MY MEYER !!! Should I ad Osmocote & how often ? Will it make a difference if I use foliage pro spray on leaves 2 Xs a day? I'll do what will be
  • poncirusguy6b452xx
    8 years ago

Osmocote plus is the one you want..Be careful with the vinegar it can strip the oils out of the leaves and kill them