Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raisefire

Choosing a Kumquat.

raisefire
12 years ago

I'm looking at purchasing a kumquat to add to my collection of citrus. I've never tried a kumquat before but have read they can be very delicious. I've looked around at local nursurys and none have or can get any. I searched the web and have found a few but would like some advise before purchasing. I live in tx so I'm kinna limited on what I can get.

Nagami

Meiwa Sweet

Changshou

What do y'all think of these and which one y'all would prefer?

If you know any other kumquats that I can have shipped in tx and and would recommend that would be great.

Comments (30)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    12 years ago

Im pretty sure you'll have a hard time shipping one into texas

Mike

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    12 years ago

Raisefire, I prefer Meiwa, much sweeter than the other two varieties you've mentioned. And you'll have to find a citrus grower in your state, as Texas is a quarantined state. However, there are some good online sources in the state of Texas, so you should be able to find a nice Kumquat from an online Texas source I would think.

Patty S.

• Kevin Reilly
    12 years ago

The first time I tried Nagami, I wanted to spit it out. The first time I tried Meiwa, I knew I had to go get it and plant it in my yard. Never had Changshou

• Karly30
    12 years ago

For fresh eating, a Meiwa. I've only had one ripe fruit from my Fukushu which I believe is the same as Changshou. It actually tasted like a giant Meiwa.

• tantanman
    12 years ago

I like the plain Meiwa. The supposed Chanshou's floating around are mostly hybrids with some mandarine and have a fair tasting shin but they are not so good inside. They are small plum sized.

• raisefire
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone. Ive located some just south of where I'm at and I would have to get one next time I'm down there. From what I've gathered, Meiwa seems to be the favor and Ill be looking out for it. Thanks again.

• raisefire
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just got me my Meiwa. My brother picked it up for me when he was on his way up to visit. The tree was in decent shape except that it looks to have some salt burn on it and three 1ft branches were coming from the rootstock which appears to be trifoliate. I already pruned the rootstock off and cleaned out the pot since it had about 2in of decomposing leaves in it. All in all my brother got me a good one even though he knows nothing about plants in general. Best part of all it has 3 kumquats on it that are just about ripe!!

{{gwi:556405}}

12 years ago

Beautiful little tree! Well done, and enjoy your Meiwa. They are nice and sweet, and I really think the best of all the kumquats for eating out of hand. Now, if we can just come up with a seedless variety, like the Nordmann Seedless Nagami, then you've got the perfect kumquat.

Patty S.

• raisefire
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Patty. Well according to the tag it claims to be seedless but I'm skeptical. Through my research Meiwa have seeds but very little. I guess it just enough to brand it seedless. Just have to wait until I get a hold of one.

{{gwi:556407}}

12 years ago

Hmm, I think that's a stretch to call a Meiwa "seedless". I'd say they have less seeds than many other kumquat varieties (except Nordmann Seedless Nagami of course, as they really are about 99.9% seedless). But, they still have seeds. Here are my Meiwa cut in half, so you can see mine are pretty full of seeds:

{{gwi:556409}}

Hopefully your little tree will be less seedy than mine :-) They're still quite yummy, even though I have to do a fair amount of spitting, lol!!

Patty S.

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    12 years ago

Nice selection.
    IIRC some citrus varieties are irradiated to produce seedless mutations. Perhaps this was done to Meiwa also to produce a seedless version. But of course the world isn't exactly perfect to our expectations and a seedless citrus still means there will be a few seeds every now and then.

• raisefire
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well I can report that I did bite into one to day and it did not have any seeds in it. Although it did still have some green on the rind and had some bitterness to it I still enjoyed my first kumquat. I think I'll let the others stay on for a bit longer before I harvest those.

• mrtexas
    12 years ago

There is a seedless meiwa x nagami floating around Houston. I have one. However it is extremely late. I saw a full size tree in March in Rosenburg and all the kumquats were still green. Seedless but green. Not for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: mrtexas

• strudeldog_gw
    12 years ago

Is the "Centennial Variegated Kumquat" more ornamental than edible. I had my first fruit from it and it was very dry and what I would call pithy. I love my Meiwa

• tantanman
    12 years ago

Strudeldog:

Many young citrus trees produce pithy fruit. Underwatering makes some mandarins pithy.

Citrus is commercially "seedless" if it has fruit averaging something like four to six seeds per fruit, or less.

Larry

• raisefire
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just wanted to give an update on my tree. I finally bought me a house and I planted it inground late last year. It survived the winter unprotected and its growing quite nicely except it hasn't held on to any fruit yet. It constantly blooms and has flushed 4 times this year. Thanks for all you guys do on here!!

Taken around march this year. Shows signs of chlorosis but expected.
    {{gwi:556410}}

Taken yesterday.
    {{gwi:556411}}

• copingwithclay
    10 years ago

Congrats on your Meiwa. I have 3 old trees that have the typical seed content. Eventually , your tree will vastly outgrow the small corner that you planted it in. Replanting it in winter to a spot 2-3 feet further out will be appreciated in the future when the leaves and twigs are not all tangled up in the fence. I just ate a Changshou that was 95% ripe and enjoyed it, despite the 8 seeds. It was twice the size of most Meiwa fruit. Nibble and spit seeds. Sweet/tart. Great aftertaste. Regretfully, it is grafted to a Volka r/s, which is NOT cold tolerant. Bad choice. A Thomasville Citrangequat r/s would have been both compatible and cold tolerant.

• JCitrus
    9 years ago

Bump. Is there such a thing as seedless Miewa? trying to decide on a few new additions to my yard and a seedless Miewa sound like just what I want. Thanks!!

9 years ago

Yes, Nordmann Seedless. It is not nearly as good a Meiwa, and there is no seedless Meiwa that I am aware of.

Patty S.

• Ryan
    9 years ago

I think they are allowed to consider a fruit seedless if it has something like an average of 5 or less seeds per fruit. - not sure the exact number. Unfortunately they don't consider the size of the fruit in this. 5 seeds in a grapefruit is much different then 5 in a kumquat. it should be seeds per volume of fruit that would determine the seedless label.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

I have a seed grown Meiwa tree that is both seedless and Meiwa-less

Steve

9 years ago

Correction - no Seedless Meiwa in California that I am aware of :-) I'd love to have that, though. It's the only kumquat I can stand to eat.

Patty S.

• Fascist_Nation
    9 years ago

6 seeds or less per fruit (as opposed to segment) = seedless in citrus...and as you said they weren't thinking of kumquats when they made that rule.

I too vote Meiwa, and mine have 2-5 seeds per fruit.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

I have a Centennial in a pot. Fruit ripe throughout the winter. They tasted the best in January-February. Really sweet! Not seedless, but tasty. I think I've read Centennial might be a hybrid, so possibly not as hardy (?).

• CAB2255
    9 years ago

I would like to locate a grower for the Centennial Variegated Kumquat for purchase in Texas. I had one for many years and lost it last winter.

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    9 years ago

Four winds has them in stock. If you order it tonight they'll have it to you by New Years eve.

Here is a link that might be useful: Centennial kumquat var.

• pip313
    9 years ago

No shipping to texas

• Jeff Adams
    7 years ago

Here is how I rank them. Meiwa 1st; the newer Marumi a very close 2nd. It is sweet like the meiwa but with a very minor, pleasant "tang" taste finish. Love them. Fukushu's I also like and so is a somewhat close 3rd. I am not found of the Nagami--too tart/sour for fresh eating. Consequently, I now have Two Meiwa trees; 1 Marumi and 1 Fukushu. The Meiwa tree is the most compact; smallest leaves. I rank Kumquats as my favorite Citrus; a touch ahead of my current 4 seedless Mandarin varieties...Keep us updated on your tree !

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    7 years ago

Up date on my trees.

My seed grown Meiwa tree died when high winds blew the cover off my greenhouse during a 3F wind storm. I now have 1 Meiwa kumquat on Kuharske Citrange.

Meiwa · More Info
    In ground with fruit. I had to pick the fruit while it was still on the green side. It was sweet with a little kick. I consider this the best citrus II have ever eaten. I planted the seeds from these fruits and now have another 9 Meiwa seedlings.
    Meiwa · More Info

Meiwa · More Info
    I started the seeds last November+/- Meiwa are the hardest trees to grow from seed.

I have 2 seed grown Fukushu kumquat trees.

fukushu kumquat 1 · More Info

Fukushu kumquat#2 · More Info
    All my kumquat tree we gifts from Cory.

6b Steve