Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzy11_gw

Question for Meyermike

Suzy11
10 years ago

Hi Mike it's me again. I'm starting with you because you live around my area and you have potted trees. I think that you have a greenhouse and I don't. My trees are in a heated garage for the winter and Are doing pretty well. I was wondering if you were me what would you do about the air circulating in the winter? I am spritzing twice a day with cool water. It is working well. Patty told me to stop but if do the leaves wilt. A nursery person here said that I should use a cool mist humidifier or I could splits. What do you suggest? Also while I am talking to you. do you remember my leaves a few months ago? Do you remember what the red on my leaves meant.? No one seems to know and I am very curious. I'm sending you a picture of the red leaf to remind you. I also now have a few leaves with one pink dot.

Comments (59)

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Photo 2

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Hi Suzy.....I could not tell for sure because the pic is sideways and out of focus..
    But I think I see webbing..Is that webbing?

Patty is right on I think...The first thing I always look for is mites or other pests by this time of the year...All that stress has certainly made your tree a perfect host for bugs...
    Your tree should not be that sensitive or react so quickly if it was very healthy..Let's see if it's bugs first, then see if it's natural to some other cause..

Please lets see some good pics in focus as Patty suggested....Cloes-ups too if you can..How about the dirt too?

Thank you

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Mike

Tjhat webbing is plastic wrap around plastic drink bottles reflecting the light in strange ways

Suzy

I take 8 megapixal picture and post to photobucket and from photo bucket the citrus forum. That way if any one clicks on the picture they will get access to my 8 meg picture. From there they can see down to a little larger than a virus and can tell me exactly what is wrong. I can also post many picture on one entry.

Steve

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That is pretty cool Steve

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay bye I will take more pictures for you., away from the plastic bottles. I haven't seen any webs. Do you mean spiderwebs? The tree does seem a little too sensitive.. I do spritz with water so should I have bugs? I have been feeding every two months this winter maybe that is too long. I fertilized it tonight. I will take the pictures in the morning

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are the pictures. Mike what do you use with your fan so that it does not push you around hot air?

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Soil

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

More leaves

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

More

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Suzy11 - I would give your tree a soaking in the laundry tub with warm water to get all of the air out of the root zone. I did mine for 20 minutes. That guaranties that all the dry spots are gone, Stop spraying the leaves so the tree draws on the roots for water. keep the roots above 55 F. I go to The Dollar Tree and get 2 pairs of 3X readers, $1 each and use both of them to see my trees at 9X. Spider mites show up real well and so do aphid eggs and suckers. There is no need to spray the tree in the garage, but make sure it gets enough light. If I remember Right this is a calomondin and will take abuse much better than almost any other citrus.

Steve

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Suzy..I love Steve's advice...I would do exactly what he said and see if that helps....Either bugs, uneven watering, or under watering is causing you issues...

Please, keep us updated..

Mike

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Steve you were right this is a Caliamodian. Since I took the pictures my tree has lost more leaves. I check the branches every day and they are green. I did fertilize two days ago and it seems to have buds. I am trying to remember what John said that you lose leaves in the winter but they grow back. This did happen in September. This is the second time but I have lost more leaves this time and at different levels. Some days I get discouraged. The reason why I am Spritzing is because of the heat in the garage I want to keep the air circulating. I ordered a coolmist humidifier. I can stop it and try what you said, sounds good. The tree gets light from 3 windows. How do I know what suckers and eggs look like? Will they be on the soil? How do I know if the roots are above 55? The Heat is set on 69 but I have been watering with Cool water. Should I make it a little warmer? The strange thing is my little Meyer tree is fine and growing. Both trees are in an organic well draining soil. Do you think that My problem could be just winter lose of leaves that will grow back?

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If there is no air in the root zone will soaking it do any damage? I do let it soak in water for 5 to 10 minutes after every watering.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

The watering cycle of my tree is.

1) I water the tree by putting it in a deep tub and filling the tub to within an inch of the soils surface and soak 30 minutes. I water overhead and water the top inch keeping the trunk area dry.

2) One week later I over head water the dried top 2 inches again keeping the trunk area dry.

3) one week later I repeat step 1 then 2 as stated above

There will be air in the root zone. you have to push the air out and when the tree is removed the air will be drawn back in as the excess water drains out of your porous soil mix.

Steve

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Steve you pick a pot when planting so that the plant not get too much air but shouldn't the roots get some air?

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

I chose 5 gallon pots because they were white, free, and easy to drill 400+ 1/8 inch diameter holes for aeration and water drainage. When I soak my tree I drive all the air out of the root base. When I lift the tree out and the water drains, the soil pores fill with the fresh air the roots need. As the tree uses the water more air is drawn in. Here is the trick. The roots have to go from wet to dryish quickly enough so that root rot doesn't set in. Your tree to pot ratio is good enough to do this. My 5 gallon pots are to big and I have to draw air through with a vacuum cleaner. I also do not provide any misting so that the tree draws the necessary water from the roots. I mist the trees when the soil is dryer so that the tree is able to get along well for a longer period when the soil is in its dryer time cycle. This helps insure that root rot doesn't cause a problem.

This is all automatic following my watering cycle I listed above. You will have to shorten the days between steps for your tree.

Steve

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Steve sounds good and I may have uneven watering. The tree doesn't have a lot of leaves so looks bad but a few days ago I found a baby leaf growing and maybe a baby calamodin. Do you think that I should still soak like you said? What does it do? Does it make the watering normal? I. Water almost like you. Every week I water at pot level, let soak 5 to 10 minutes in winter' 20 in summer and spritz from above.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Soak it any way. If the roots are dry they will die. You wont have to re-water as soon but you will have to touch up the surface when it dries out. This is easiest using a plant sprayer set on a heavy mist small drops. that will wet the surface and allow even wetting of the top inch or 2.

Remove any fruits from the tree.

Steve

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok. If you spritz the branches, can that cause root rot? Will the same thing happen with Spritzing the trunk?

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

The roots will not be affected by spritzing the leaves and branches. I keep the spray off the trunk and soil around the trunk. See how the seed grown meiwa kumquat is planted.
    {{gwi:556544}}
    The 5 inch diameter ring hold soil 1 inch higher than the main pot so that that soil, trunk, and root-base at trunk never gets wet.

Steve

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Is there a way to know if the roots are drying out? do you know what a leaf with mildew looks like?

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

No. That is why I soak the root base every 2 weeks and water the top 2 inches every other week I also use a coffee can with a vacuum hole in the side to draw about 10 seconds worth of fresh air for the first four days after soaking the roots.

{{gwi:556545}}
    Vacuum holes in container under potted sweetlee tangerine trees and nagami + meiwa kumquat bushes from seed

No to the second part of the question.

Steve

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What happened to the flower pot? Is it inside the can? How do you get fresh air inside? Or do you mean run the vacuum? Doesn't it suck out the soil?

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Hello, Suzy!

How are your tree doing these days? Are the leaves staying on and uncurling?

Mold usually looks like dark spots but I didn;t see any on your tree from what I saw.
    Your roots will be just fine if you spritz but be careful for disease issues if you don't have a moving fan.

Mike

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

The tree pots are on top of the cans with the holes in it. The dirt does not come out. use a vacuum cleaner to do the suction. look at the container farthest to the right. You can see the container with all those tiny air holes. That houses my meiwa kumquat tree.

Steve

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for clearing that up Steve

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi mike! Nice to have you back. I think my tree is ok just growing slowly. Most of the leaves look pretty good. A few are still dieing, fall off and new ones grow. I will send you pictures tomorrow.

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mike I am sending my pictures to you. My biggest fear is a virus or disease. I have never been through winter leaf lose and I'm hoping that is what this is. A few leaves that have fallen off did grow back. I am hoping for more growth when I can put the tree outside in the sun. I still get depressed when I look at the tree. But I still have hope. Three people have told me that it's going to happen. It's just hard to wait. Do you think that it will happen? January and February were bad months.

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

More

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

More

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

More

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Anoother

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Two more

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Last one

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Think spring!

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Are my meyer leaves ok? See the ones turning yellow.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Suzy, I'll come back...But can I ask you a question?

How in the world are you posting pics upside down and all over the place? It's irritating..lol I can't turn my computer here at work upside down or sideways...I'll be back later.

Have a great day

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Mike I have a radiator heating line I hang up side down by my knees from. It helps a lot for the up sided down pics. I also have enough room to lie on my side when necessary.

When I am really tight on time, I can mouse click on the picture and my Google browser will open the picture in a new tab and display the picture in its correct up right position. I only do that when I am really pressed for time.

Steve

P.S. Here is a picture of my failed PT grafted tree

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mike I hace no idea how that happened with the pictures. They were ok when I sent them. Sorry, I will try again.

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Did it work?

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Did. It work

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

I believe you problem is that you need to turn them upright in your computer, then link them to GW

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

next

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

and for 3

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Let me know if this worked..Just because they look good on my screen -----@#$%^&*()_+_)(*&^%$#---your's

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It worked. That never happened before. They were fine on my ipad but not the computer

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Your Ipad has a sensor for gravity and will flip the picture automatically for you. Your computer will not. It will post to GW as they are. If you get a Photobucket account you can store 3000 -- -- -- 6 magapixal pictures for free and you can display many in one post.

As for citrus tree problems, they happen 3-4 months after you take them in and can be quit horrendous 6 months past jailing them.

My tree developed a large dry spot in the pot and the tree stopped growing and started to deteriorate. By the time I caught it the trees had browning leaves, but few dropped. The trees are not pretty anymore. It happens and you just go on. I will have lost out on a lot of linear growth, but they will do fine this spring.

Leaf damage to my seed grown sweetlee tangerine trees.
    {{gwi:556546}}
    {{gwi:556549}}
    {{gwi:556551}}
    LOTS OF DAMAGED LEAVES
    {{gwi:556553}}
    FRESH SHOOTS AMOUNG DAMAGED LEAVES

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you one more question. Do you remember my problem last year. And I think the John help me at this point he helped a whole lot actually. Here we go, The branches on my tree have been green. About a week ago the tip of one of the lower branches was about a quarter inch brown I cut it off. Today I found some more brown tips close by that I also cut off. Do you think that the Tree may servive?