Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kev122

spring in maryland mid january

kev122
10 years ago

First post from the eastern shore of Maryland. The proud owner of 2 Meyers, 3 owari satsuma, 1 Lisbon lemon, 1 Persian lime, 1 Washington naval, 1 key lime, 1 clementine, 1 calamondin, and finally 3 pineapple plants , whew! I hope I am in the right forum ,because I would hate to type this over again! Been reading posts for awhile and joined in Oct. 2013. I have been collecting citrus trees for about 4 years and all are grown in containers, outside in spring ,back in come fall. I truly love growing them! All have new growth and a few are blooming, especially the naval orange. I hope to learn more from you guys and I hope I can share the things I learned the hard way with you as well. Citrus are a challenge for sure! Good luck to all, kev

Comments (6)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

You are in the right forum. How about some pictures of the trees and the pineapples from different angles. If you use a photo hosting sight like Photobucket you can post a lot of pics in one post. My pictures in photo bucket a 8 megapixels so when I post one here others can click on the picture to see the original at 8 megs.

It sounds like your doing well with your plants.

Steve

You can also post links to your own photo albums on these hosting sights like this. Click any thumbnail to enlarge

Here is a link that might be useful: https://plus.google.com/photos/111099372377958308731/albums/5961857381151877457?banner=pw

This post was edited by poncirusguy on Sat, Jan 18, 14 at 13:03

• kev122
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info Steve. I will see if my wife can help me with the pictures. The plants are doing well this year. All are in one room with eastern and southern exposure. Here is the Lisbon lemon and one of the pineapples below it. Sorry the pictures are taken with my kindle

• wjp4140
    10 years ago

Hi kev. I live in b-more. I bought a meyer lemon, eureka lemon and a persian lime(?) last spring at walmart of all places. Gotten a couple of limes. Fruit on the lemon, though still green. Also a calamondin I bought from Valley View in the fall. Only one I lost so far was a variagated pink lemon that I kept in the rowhouse kitchen (my fault, foliage was so pretty I wanted it close). Love to hear from more mid-atlantic people.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Kevin...Now I see a huge inside tree....That looks awesome!

Looks like you have been deriving much help here..Yours trees look remarkable for growing indoors up here and so fun, right?
    I have over about 30 and I am about to cull a few..Getting tired of too many trees and not enough room or time..lol

There come a time when one looses as many trees as we buy, and therefore we keep buying more.
    Then once we get really good at it, we keep buting more thinking we need a few of the same kind and yet they live and live....I have yet to loose one as they keep getting bigger and bigger and more take up space...I never get confident in myself so it keeps me buying, but they live and flourish..It's never ending..haha..

Before you know it you will be installing greenhouse and solar ceiling to create more ideal conditions and room..It's a sickness I tell you...lol

MIke

• kev122
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hi wjp. originally from brooklyn, ny. moved here 11 years ago. love it ; open spaces, blue claws, and a long growing season! my first 2 trees were from lowes, still have them, although they have been guinea pigs through the years for all of the changes in my citrus growing technique (or lack of) . good luck

• kev122
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hi meyermike,
    thank you for your post. Yes, that lisbon lemon is hugh thanks to you guys. no kidding, it had a great growing season outside and it just won't stop. i have truly learned how to grow citrus here! i did not understand how much container soil medium, nutrition and proper watering techniques mattered for citrus, that is until i found this site! fantastic hobby, or as my wife says obsession. thanks kev

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting