Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kish_gw

Oh no I think I've killed my dwarf navel orange tree!!!

kish
10 years ago

Hello everyone!! I am here because I think all hope is lost for my tree. Admittedly, this is my first attempt at caring for a tree, and I guess I haven't done an awesome job. Anyway, I've had the tree for almost 1 year. When I initially received the tree I kept it indoors since it was winter. When spring/summer arrived, I moved it outdoors to a nice sunny spot where it flourished. It was awesome! Then, winter approached again and this is where my trouble started. I was unaware that I need to wean the tree off of so much sun, and I just brought it inside one day. Prior to bringing the tree inside, I decided that I was going to change the soil because I didn't want to bring any bugs inside. So not only did the tree suffer shock from the decrease in sun, it was also re-potted rather rudely. About 4-6 weeks after I brought it inside (August-September-ish), it began to blossom and drop its leaves simultaneously. Eventually all of the upper branches save one (in the pic) lost their leaves, and the leaves on that one branch began to droop and remained that way. Following the leaf drop, the branches began to turn brown and die, firt at the tips, then progressively downwards. About two weeks ago, I cut (scissors) some of the dead branches from the tree. Pretty much all that's left now is what you see in the pic. The lower brances seem to be pretty ok, though one of the branches lost 2 or 3 leaves about six weeks ago but has been fine since. I plan to move it back outside when it warms up again. My question is do you guys think that there's any hope left for my tree? Should I just let her (its a girl, lol) go and get another? She hopes you like her red dress I put on her for her pic!! =)

Comments (4)

• citrusweekendwarrior
    10 years ago

Kish,

I wouldn't as far, as to say, you have killed you're tree. It may be 1/2 the tree it use to be, but it looks like it'll pull.
    Trust me, most of us have made the very same mistakes you have made.
    Sometimes the best way to learn is to learn what not to do.
    After you figure out how your tree likes to be treated, it'll be next to impossible to kill. And you'll be able to keep it healthy looking even in the middle of winter.
    August isn't a bad time to re-pot. I don't know where you live, but I generally don't bring my trees in till October.
    I'm going to assume you have the shades down because you wanted to take the pic?
    What you may want to do is get something to prop the tree a foot or so higher so the lower leaves get a little more sun.

-JR

• kish
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for your response. I live in Philadelphia btw. I have one more question if you don't mind...Do you think it will cause further damage if I cut the remaining dead branches? I am thinking to cut it right above the stem of the drooping leaves. Is that too much or should I just leave it? Thanks again for your help, Weekend warrior!!

• citrusweekendwarrior
    10 years ago

Any black branches I would remove. For those branch are truly died and never come back.
    Anything that is still green has a chance to start producing new growth once the tree starts to make a come back.
    But in all honesty, if the branches don't have leaves on them, then they are not doing much for the tree at that moment. Because leaves are where a citrus tree stores its food/energy (so I've read... i'm no botanist)

Keep the photo you have of this tree. Its always fun to compare what your tree use to look like and what it's been through.
    Feel free to ask anything else.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

If you follow Citrus's instructions and do not over water at this time, it should be just fine..

You will get to know your tree well and it will respond to your care because you care and came here to be successful...

The two main cause for twig die back other than being pot bound is over or under watering..

When you bring a tree inside, usually within a few days once it senses it is not in its favorite environment, it can take days or weeks for the roots to resume taking up moisture like before because they rebel and try to adjust..It is critical that at this time that the roots are in a very porous mix and not stay wet for days...Because growth has almost stopped, the roots can get damaged by rot.

I always notice that at certain times my trees will all of sudden dry out slower than usual and stop taking up moisture as they once had outdoors..Once things resume as usual, usually within a few weeks, you will notice that you will have to water more frequently again..

It is important at this time that you do not under water...

Hope this helps for the next time you have to do a drastic change to its environment or root disturbance..

I wish your tree all the best and I know it will respond to its sunny spot there and longer days..Even more so once put outdoors again)

Mike

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 22:45