Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pollination time for Meyers Lemon Tree?

Posted by bchbound (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 5, 12 at 12:29

I have had a dwarf Myers Lemon tree for about 3 years. It had a rough start but after spending last summer outdoors (I am on Long Island in NY) it is now thriving. Right now it has about 30 blosoms about ready to open. One already has opened. The tree is about 3 feet tall.

Do I need to assist in pollation with a brush since I do not have bees indoors to do that? Are some flowers male and others female or does each flower have both.

I am thinking I should lightly brush the flowers moving from one to the next.

Thanks in advance
Here is a picture...

DSC04292

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pollination time for Meyers Lemon Tree?

The first thing is that this is not a Meyer! Meyers have signature blooms that have a purple base. A few seedling Meyers may not have the purple; but yours being a dwarf, is not a seedling. The shape of your bloom looks very much like a Bearss lime, which would be blooming now.
Second, all lemon blossoms, and almost all citrus are perfect flowers; they don't need help from anyone or anything to make lemons. If you want to make seeds, you need bees; but the lemon flower is so sweet, if there is a bee within half a mile, it will come to the flower.

o

Have to agree......it isn't a Meyer.

o

Thanks for the info. It could be a dwarf lime. I may have switched the marked bases when I brought the trees in. I hope the other tree that is not flowering is a Meyer.

Will the lime self-pollinate?

o

if you break a leaf of the other one you think is a meyer it will smell strongly like a lemon, almost like the smell of lemon pine-sol. Limes have a less intense smell of lime and oranges almost have no smell. And as john said, meyer flowers are very unique and have a purple base to the blossom. You shouldnt need to help pollinate but if wish to help you wont hurt anything.

Mike

o

My lemon tree resembles your tree very well but I'm sure that I have a lemon tree. Maybe not a Meyer but a dwarf Eureka I don't really know. I bought mine on an impulse buy at walmart with no specific name designated to it other than 'potted lemon tree'. When the leaves are broke like mentioned above the smell of lemons is very aromatic. My tree has begun to bloom as well. If someone else has any other ideas on what type of tree we/ I have I would love to hear your thoughts. But anyway happy harvesting bchbound!

o

I have found that my Meyer lemon blooms white like this indoors and have very purple blooms outside in intense light.

o

I have found the same. All of the flowers I get from my meyer in the winter are pure white. In the summer heat and sun they turn a deep purple. Since this tree is definitely inside for the winter it could still be a meyer.

Kris

o

Oops just noticed this was an old thread that was bumped up

Kris

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here