Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help concerning my newly repotted Meyer Lemon tree

Posted by Sargento NJ (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 3, 14 at 12:40

Hello everyone! My name is Adam and I am glad to have found this forum. I did some research concerning my problem on here, but I thought it would be a good time to introduce myself and maybe get some thoughts on my tree. My wife and I purchased our improved Meyer Lemon tree back in April. It was great and produced 11 delicious lemons for us over the summer/fall. On Dec. 17, we harvested the lemons and decided to re-pot it. As a newbie to growing citrus trees, I bought the "dreaded" Miracle Gro Palm, Cactus, and Citrus soil. However, our tree now has an alarming amount of yellow leaves, with more apparently turning... Is it just transplant shock? The soil definitely does not drain even close to as well as the soil it came with. I've read that the tree does best in higher drainage soils. Should I use some of the recommended soils some past posts have suggested? Is it even safe to do another transplant only 2-3 weeks after the first one? I am not sure what todo, but we really want our "Herbert" (the name my wife gave the plant :D ) to survive and thrive! Its full-time indoor, in a window which gets sun till from sunrise till 1-2 pm. Thank you in advance for your input and expertise!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help concerning my newly repotted Meyer Lemon tree

I heat the roots to about 70-80 F. The foliage I heat to about 80-100F. I foliar feed as the roots don't need much water and provide additional lighting.

2 story grow box with penthouse photo IMG_4718_zpsa661b34b.jpg
Plants on the floor level get light and the heat warms the root above to about 80F. The lights above the citrus provide heat such that it is about 80F at the root zone and 100F at the top. The trees grow very well.

If you click on the picture you can get into my photobucket tropical displays. All my pics are publicly viewable and you can see many other setups that might work for your situation.

Your lemon tree looks great and in need of additional light. The root heat could be provided by a plant heating pad.

o

Poncircusguy:

What type of bulbs are you using?

Also, is your setup just for overwintering?

Mike

o

As long as that pot has drainage holes, it should survive the Winter in that soil mix - it's a fairly small volume of mix for a tree of that development.

The only issue I see is that the tree needs to be fertilized. That is how a Meyer tells you that it has been hungry for a while. More frequent fertilization will halt the yellowing of older leaves, although it will not cause those yellow leaves to green again - they're goners.

Give the tree as much light as possible.

Josh

o

I am using compact fluorescent at 18 watts to 23 watts. with a temperature range from bright white to daylight. on the citrus floor and warm white to bright white on the ground floor. My choice on bulbs is made by sales.

All the pieces are precut and take about 2 hours to assemble and 1 hour to disassemble. It is used for the citrus trees and starting other seed trees to give them a 4 month jump on spring. The ground level is for vegetable starts in spring and growing greens in winter holding pepper plants from 1st frost till the some 50 peppers ripen.

The 2 plant you see in the bottom are pepper plants ripening their peppers. At this time I am bout to start harvesting greens. march i'll start my pepper and egg plants for smummer

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here