Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Hello folks. My Moro Blood has finally bloomed! Surprise:-) Pic

meyermike_1micha
12 years ago

Yes, I have not wanted to say anything about this small tree to anyone, not even Josh, until I knew for sure it would flower. I wanted to surprse you.

I had my doubhts about it since I thought they barely flowered. So this one took back seat in my greenhouse and naturally got fertilized every time I waterd and had always looked green. Now, let it known it has FINALLY bloomed and I thought I would share with you.

I make it a habit to keep the tags on my trees so as not to get confused, but now that I have ordered labels, I have my work cut out for me this spring.

Thanks for everything everybody. Josh, now we wait and see when your potted one does! It could be sooner than you think:-)

{{gwi:557187}}

{{gwi:557189}}

{{gwi:557192}}

Comments (12)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

That's awesome, Mike!

Not only is it blooming, it's blooming prolifically!

I really hope that mine will bloom sometime. Of course, a greenhouse would probably do it.
    If mine doesn't bloom in the next two years, I'll have to come up with a different Winter strategy.

Thanks for the pics!

Josh

• timsf
    12 years ago

Congratulations, Mike! OMG, I can't believe how many flower buds are on that little guy (and how many more are on the way)! :-)

See, you envy me for my good fortune to be able to plant in the ground, but I'm jealous of YOU for being able to grow well various kinds of citrus (at least more than my Meyer lemons and Trovita orange that seem to be the only citrus that can grow in SF's cool summer climate)!...

Tim

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    12 years ago

Wow, Mike. Nice little tree, and such great blossoms! That is one very healthy tree. I concur with Tim, you really do an outstanding job of container citrus. Tim, a Moro or a Tarocco would probably do well in your area, if you can protect during any really chilly nights. You'll get some nice coloration with blood oranges up your way.

Patty S.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Patty!

Thank you so much. A compliment coming from you who sees how they do in the ground as nice as they do means a lot. Hoping you're doing ok these days:-)

Josh! You can only imagine how excited I am.

Now we both know that these babies can flower profusely in a pot even with a bit of extra fertilizer and in the mixes we both use.

Tim!

Lol. Thanks so much. You are too funny! You can only imagine how surprised I am. I just took that thing out of the greenhouse this a.m. and set it on a sunny table in the living room.
    Boy, does the house smell terrific at this moment! I appreciate your kind words along with everyone elses here
    :-)

There must be a way to make it possible for you to grow many other types Tim?

Mike

• timsf
    12 years ago

I'd love to be able to grow more kinds of oranges, but dubious since Four Winds said we in SF get too much cold summer fog (even more than Marin, so can't grow what Brett does) and not enough sun (though no frost in the winters at all)! FW was doubtful even of Cara Cara (suggesting the Trovita instead), which I thought might be good since I'd read that they hold long on the tree. Thanks for the suggestions, Patty - I'll look further into the Moro and Tarocco, but again, not holding my breath... Have good week, guys!

Tim

• johnmerr
    12 years ago

Mike,
    My first thought was that the leaf doesn't look like an orange... more like a lemon, as in no winged petiole; but you say you are fastidious about labeling, so I defer to your greater knowledge.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    12 years ago

No, that's exactly what my Moro leaves look like, John. And, the blossoms are very white, and are in clusters. Definitely looks like a Moro to me. Plus, if they are really, really fragrant, again, an orange. Lemons are not nearly as fragrant as oranges and grapefruits. Lovely still, but not the overpowering fragrance of oranges and grapefruit blossoms.

And Tim, Fours Winds would know your area much better than I, and if they're doubtful, then I would defer to their expertise of N. California. Unless you have an abnormally warm spot, like up against your house, south-facing and protected from winds, then maybe a Trovita is the better choice. Darn.

Patty S.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

John:

Funny thing is the leaves do look almost the same but I can assure you this one is a Moro!
    I NEVER smelled such a heavy, strong, perfumed and heavenly scent such as this one!

I was washing off the leaves yesterday in the shower and 1, just 1 bloom fell off. I never got around to cleaning the tub until today and that one bloom, mind you with just one pedal left has the whole tub area smelling sweet.
    Amazing.

I also have one other type of Navel little tree that smells as strong as that. I whiff it, and then I smell that fragrance linger as I walk all the way back into my house from the greenhouse as if the plant followed me.

Josh:

You certainly have something great to look forward too. I can't wait:-)

Patty:

You are right on in that department for fragrance, after whiffing probably thousands of citrus trees in your lifetime. I do agree that other than the infamous 'Lemon Meyer', my Grapfruit and Oranges trees by far surpass my lemones and limes in the fragrant catergory.

Tim:

Now that is a huge bumnmer. Who would of thought that? I was always under the impression that there is 'NO' bad place in California to grow anything. There has to be a solution.:-)

Mike

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Sweet, Mike!

I meant to ask you about fertilization.
    Last year we discussed fertilization and how you taper off during the Winter and give your trees a
    "rest period." How long do you wait to fertilize? Three weeks, a month? During the depths of
    Winter, my trees probably went for three weeks without fertilization.

Of course, I understand that your trees are active in the greenhouse, and so their nutrient demands
    will be higher than my trees in the cold-frame - but I'm just curious about your strategy. I'd like
    to make sure that my Moro has the nutrients to bloom at the right time of the year.

How much fertilizer and how often have you been fertilizing?

Josh

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Mike..what happened to your pictures?

I stopped here yesterday, was going to comment but a phone call came in. Today, your pics are gone...
    Is it my computer or were they removed?

Hey Josh...Toni

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Toni!

Don't tell me your computer is acting up again?lol

Now what are you going to do? I wish you could see teh buds on this one:-)

Josh, thanks! I will e-mail or get in touch with you about my routine:-)

Mike

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Mike, rebotted..Pics are showing again.. :)

Your Moro is gorgoues..all the blooms!! Bet it smells great.

I see your variegated peeking, top left, too..We need more variegated citrus.. lol..

So very nice, Toni