Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irucker

Bringing Meyer Lemon in and out

irucker
15 years ago

I've got two Meyers over wintering in the house. One has lost all its leaves and buds and the younger one is doing great at this time. The indoor temperature is about 60 - 65 and the soil is 57 (I used a digital meat thermometer). I have them out of the west sunny window now after reading the other posts and have them away from the window with a grow light. On warmer days, around 60, I take them outside to warm up. Then I bring them back in the house for the night. Is this the wrong thing to do? I feel that bringing them out will warm up the soil a bit but I don't know if bringing them in and out of the real sunshine and then bringing them back into the cold house will really do a number on the trees. I've experienced the severe leaf and bud drop this winter and last winter, but the 2 years before, that didn't happen and I had tons of lemons. I only got one lemon this entire year.

At first I thought I wasn't fertilizing enough and that's why all the bud drop, but then I just read that bringing them into a hot window with cold soil with do this so I'm just frustrated and confused. I'm ready to throw them out into the cold and see what happens. It can get down to 20 on some nights.

Comments (3)