Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bringing Meyer Lemon in and out

Posted by irucker NM (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 1, 09 at 12:49

I've got two Meyers over wintering in the house. One has lost all its leaves and buds and the younger one is doing great at this time. The indoor temperature is about 60 - 65 and the soil is 57 (I used a digital meat thermometer). I have them out of the west sunny window now after reading the other posts and have them away from the window with a grow light. On warmer days, around 60, I take them outside to warm up. Then I bring them back in the house for the night. Is this the wrong thing to do? I feel that bringing them out will warm up the soil a bit but I don't know if bringing them in and out of the real sunshine and then bringing them back into the cold house will really do a number on the trees. I've experienced the severe leaf and bud drop this winter and last winter, but the 2 years before, that didn't happen and I had tons of lemons. I only got one lemon this entire year.

At first I thought I wasn't fertilizing enough and that's why all the bud drop, but then I just read that bringing them into a hot window with cold soil with do this so I'm just frustrated and confused. I'm ready to throw them out into the cold and see what happens. It can get down to 20 on some nights.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bringing Meyer Lemon in and out

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 1, 09 at 14:17

If the cold periods are limited, I'd leave them outdoors as long as the temp was above 28F. Then drag them indoors, even if only into the garage, while it's cold.

o

My lemon sounds just like the original poster's. I'm in a bit of a cooler climate and I'm keeping them in the garage so sunlight isn't that good. I have one lemon that developed in late August but it's small and not really growing. I wonder if that will make it. I only had one this year and it took 6 months to mature. I'm not sure if this is normal since this is my first Meyer but it was good. The only thing is I read that they were sweeter than real lemons. Really? I didn't think so. The size was bigger than a typical lemon but it seemed as bitter. Anyway I squeezed all the juice out of it and added about a half of a cup of water then 2 teaspoons of sugar. Now that was some good lemonaide!

o

From the University of Florida :
Meyer lemon

Harvest November to March

This variety's cold-hardiness make it a popular selection for dooryard plantings. It has a low-spreading growth habit with few thorns. Fruit are relatively large with high juice content, a smooth skin, and lower acid levels than other lemon varieties. Seeds: 0-10 per fruit.

Cold tolerance differs in the trees of various cultivars. Mandarin cultivars are the most cold tolerant, with the exception of Temple and Fallglo. Sweet oranges rank next in cold tolerance, closely followed by grapefruit. Lemons and limes are far less cold tolerant. In general, citrus trees are more cold tolerant after the crop has been harvested because the canopy is more compact and retains more heat during freezes.

Here is a very interesting link ----

Here is a link that might be useful: Citrus Culture In The Home Landscape

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here