Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
18tons

advice on young orange tree and buds

18tons
10 years ago

hi - I planted a Trovita orange tree about 6 or 8 months ago. It is under 3 feet tall and it has a lot of leaves. It went through a couple of weeks of northern CA freezing temps just fine (I covered it), and now it is very warm around here the past few weeks. There is considerable new growth (leaves) and an abundance of buds. There are 2 flowers, and I thought I would leave those, but I'm under the impression that I shouldn't let a young tree in the ground less than one year have so many buds. Is this true? Should I start pinching back the buds? If so is there any special method so that I don't do any harm to future buds? Thanks for any help that you can offer!

rob

Comments (9)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Don't worry about the flowers, Rob. Citrus will always set more fruit than it can support, so you'll see fruit drop usually at the bee-bee size, and then, again, and about golf ball size. If you pinch back the flowers, you'll just promote more flowers. Leave the tree alone. Watch to see how much fruit actually sets past golf ball, and then remove enough that the canopy can support the few fruits for the first year or maybe two. That your tree has new flush tells me that it will probably have enough leaf canopy to support fruit. Remember, this is not the tree's "first year". Your tree no doubt is at least 2 to 3 years old. It helps to post photos, so it you can post up a few photos of your tree, better to advise you.

Patty S.

• 18tons
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thx Patty! I'm posting a picture. It's about 32" tall. I appreciate your help! I notice some green bugs eating the leaves, particularly when they are fresh and new. I've been on daily patrols picking them off. I don't know if it's the same bugs, but it looks like they turn into larvae and the leaves stick together. I've been vigilant about those as well.

rob

• orangelime1
    10 years ago

Gwald beautiful tree , nice and green really healthy looking. Just one question you do have the graft above the soil right?

• 18tons
    Original Author
    10 years ago

orangelime1 - When I planted, I kept the top of the root ball very close to the surface of the soil. To answer your question, it's not obvious to me where the graft is, but I know it's not in the ground because I planted it high.

Is there something that made you ask that, that you were concerned about?

thx,
    rob
    PS: now I found out that one of the bugs is a "leaf hopper".

• orangelime1
    10 years ago

Gwald I asked because I saw or it looks like some leaves are touching or very close to touching the ground. Your tree has a very nice large green canopy and I guess at the angle you took your picture it makes the tree look like it has a very short trunk for the size of the canopy. Patty is so right about leaving the fruit , the tree will take care of itself. Very nice tree Rob.

• orangelime1
    10 years ago

Sorry Rob just to add burying the graft were the tree has been grafted to the root stock is a very common mistake not to say you did this because you said the rootball was close to the surface. I see this all the time up here were people buy apple trees and bury the graft in the ground, I am sure this is not to good for the tree.

• 18tons
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thx for the follow-up! I see what you mean. It's funny that some of the leaves just got enormous and I think that's what you are seeing. They do seem a little out of proportion, but I'm just letting it do its thing. I fertilized once when I planted and it seems to like it's location.

• orangelime1
    10 years ago

It must like it's location really nice tree. I am glad everything is alright. I see you have a nice basin to catch the rain water it sure looks like you did everything perfect. Really keep an eye on those leaf hoppers . Just was reading up on them , they sound like quite the pest.

• tantanman
    10 years ago

Rob

If you have to cover a young tree in your climate, then take the fruit
    off it to force some growth and and gain wood diameter. That is the best way to grow young citrus when troubled by cold winters. You also make more fruit after a couple of years. Trees freeze at the rate of 1/4 inch diameter per hour below about 23 deg F.

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz