Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blood Orange Varieties

Posted by catbox_9 CA 8B (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 19, 10 at 13:28

I've managed to keep a grapefruit alive for a year without the aid of a greenhouse in zone 8B and am planning to add a greenhouse so I think I can successfully grow a blood orange tree as well.

With that said, I'm not sure what variety I want. Last year I bought a few at a farmer's market and they were one of the best fruits I've ever had. I didn't ask the variety as I didn't think it mattered. A few weeks later I bought some Moro blood oranges at the grocery store and they were nothing great. The ones I liked were more sour than the Moro (although not nearly as sour as a kumquat or lemon). Also, the outside was mostly orange with a little bit of red as was the inside.

If I had to guess I'd say it was Tarocco. The farmer's market was in San Luis Obispo, CA if that matters. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blood Orange Varieties

the Tarocco variety came to my mind too while reading your posting. I read that as far as taste, they're easily the best tasting blood orange. I will definitelly try growing it. My other favorite is Trovita, but that's not a blood orange.

o

Sanguinelli are the most acid blood orange and one of my favorites. Moro are also very good, still have some acid but not as much as the Sanguinelli.

You should not judge by whatever you ate from the store. Both Moro and Sanguinelli are delicious when properly grown and ripened.

o

Lifespeed,
You are so right! I managed to eat some tree ripened mango and what a diffrence! Same with ponderosa lemon. I have a dwarf moro blood orange right now, but still too small for fruit. I love moro's and I have only had them from the grocery store. I didn't buy any this year, to damn exopensive, $1.25 a piece!!
Andrew

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here