Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
floridagirl_gw

Freezing satsuma's

floridagirl
10 years ago

I had so many mandarin satsuma's this year I could not eat them all or give them away. So I froze some! I washed them and put them in gallon bags whole and froze them. That was the last of December, now I am getting 1 at a time out thawing it on the counter until almost thawed and it is so good taste like oranges sherbet. Do not microwave. Now when I want fruit I just go to the freezer. I have 5 bags frozen.

Comments (7)

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

I am SO jealous :o)...I wish you were my neighborl...I would take a couple of bags off your hands,lol... I have a very small and young non producing tree. CLM's have infected it severely so its kind of stunted. I'm trying my best this year to "get it back to healthy" again.

BTW, how big was it and how long after you planted it did it start producing?

Wish me luck!! Enjoy your fruits...

• insteng
    10 years ago

I might have to try that with my navel oranges. Usually I have so many some of them end up just falling off the tree because I can't use and give away enough of them.

• insteng
    10 years ago

I might have to try that with my navel oranges. Usually I have so many some of them end up just falling off the tree because I can't use and give away enough of them.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Pug, seriously!!!!????

So good to see you...Now that is a treat:-))))

How are you holding up under the dreaded cold? Remember I told you it was going to be a bd one way back in summer? I wish I was wrong...Still more to come too...

I am hoping you are ok there..I am sure your Jades are responding well though! Are they colorful yet?

MIke)))))

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Hi Mike!! December was above normal for us lots of (80's) but January is much colder...luckily we did not see any of the ice/sleet/snow that the upper most Northern FL saw...all we got was rain out of it :o)

I did have a few days of 28-32 degrees...the Jades are doing well, but not really coloring up much as we've only had a few days of really cold weather...considering everything I've really been lucky so far...just some cold damage on Mango leaves and branches but that's to be expected from anything below 32 degrees!!

The only Jade I have right now that's colorful is the Hummel Sunset you sent me :o)...that's it,lol...maybe the rest of them will color up by the end of March?...but to be honest my forecast for the next 10 days are back up to the 80's again...so I'm NOT holding my breath,lol...

Hope you stay warm...I know that's near impossible to do right now!! Hoping for an early Spring for you guys...

Here's the Hummel...I just LOVE this Jade, Thanks again Mike!!! It was raining, so I took the picture really quick :o)

• floridagirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This tree is about 12 years old, was about 5 years old when I started getting fruit, this year was a bumper crop on 2 trees. This picture was taken after we ate and gave away, so these were picked and frozen. They are better than off the tree to me.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Thanks for that picture flordiagirl!! Amazing tree!! I still have hope my tree is only 3 years old so maybe if I can get it to healthy again it still might produce for me in a year or two. Thanks again!!