Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomatodog

1st of 6 Dwarf Citrus that look bad

tomatodog
11 years ago

I cannot get this 3 year old Blood Orange tree to do anything, not much growth and no flowers. It was repotted into this 5 gallon container last year, I fertilize monthly-light, and water for 5 mins weekly. Any suggestions to get it to flourish?

Comments (11)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

What are you fertilizing with? What is the soil? Looks like it needs more food.

My container trees get fertilized weakly, weekly. I use Foliage pro at a 1/4 to 1/2 strength every weekend.

mike

• johnmerr
    11 years ago

That is one sad looking tree. More light, more food, better food; maybe some minerals. Drainage problems??

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

John.....lolololl///You are too funny...

I agree with Mike and John, has to be the mix, food, light, fertilizer, or all 4 not aligned properly?

Start with your mix:-)

Mike

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    11 years ago

Five minutes of water a week doesn't sound like enough to me except maybe in winter. When I had potted citrus I watered daily in summer, much less in winter.

• CodyP
    11 years ago

how good is the drainage if it doesnt drain out sufficiently you get wet feet. what kind of soil mix do you have. also did you plan t the seed or is it grafted. i say fertilize with a even ratio and make sure no holes are plugged at the bottom of the container.

• CodyP
    11 years ago

wow of course its graphted lol dwarf

• tomatodog
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good info thanks! To answer you're questions; I repotted with Organic Garden soil from Lowes last year and initially it did good. I fertilize monthly with a teaspoon of powdered fertilizer on the surface and let the micro sprinler wash it in. I water it for 5 minutes a week with the micro sprinkler shown in the picture. I believe the drainage is excellent due to runoff under the pot while it waters. I thought I may be overwatering when I see the my Citrus I have and it's yellow leaf color(pictured also). It is a grafted Cara Cara Navel orange and was doing well up until 2 months ago and it started to yellow and drop leaves.

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

That's about a long as any mix like that will go before it breakdown and starts suffocating the root system and putting undue stress upon them.

At this time,the bottom, what is under the soil line is too busy trying too stay alive and neglecting the top part..That tree will not take up nutrients until you open the soil and allow the roots to breathe.

This is the end result of a mix that began ok, gone bad.

Mike

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Howdy!

Looks quite quite pale, indeed.

I agree with Mike. The roots seem to be impaired, which is why the tree isn't making better use
    of the fertilizer. Compacted mix, heavy moisture retention, lack of aeration.

The first thing I'd do is gently slide the root-ball out of the bucket and examine roots.
    If the roots are healthy, I would wait to re-pot until Spring, and then I would set about
    dealing with this wet mix immediately.

A wick stuffed into a drainhole and left to dangle freely below the container will remove
    a lot of perched water in the bottom layer of the mix. Sitting the pot on a stack of
    newspapers will work similarly.

Then, of course, reduce watering. Use a wooden skewer or dowel, stuck to the bottom of the pot,
    to determine when the deep layers of mix are actually drying out.

Also, I would consider a soluble liquid fertilizer that can be applied to the entire
    soil volume.

Josh

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    11 years ago

Water that runs out immediately on watering can be a sign that the soil is completely dried out. The soil shrinks when it gets really dry and the water just runs down the side of the rootball. Check the rootball and see if it's really dry in the middle or water logged and wet.

• tomatodog
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for all the suggestions regarding my poor Citrus trees. Many of you proposed that the root ball was the issue. You deserve a follow-up picture of the rootball that I pulled up today. Now I must find a soil mix for the repot. The Home center could only recommend a Potting soil with "Pearlite". Is this the best that is available and is it any good?

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!