Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

Root collar vs. root crown

jenn
12 years ago

We are preparing to plant two potted citrus in the ground as soon as we can. I have seen recommendations to plant so that the root collar is above the soil line, and the root crown is just below the soil line. I am having trouble finding a description or photos to help me recognize and distinguish the two. How can I tell the difference?

I'm sorry if this has been asked and answered before... perhaps some newbies could benefit from a new post on this subject alone.

Comments (8)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

As far as I can tell, they're the same thing.
    Root crown, root collar, root neck...synonyms.

Basically, it's the point where the plant transitions from trunk/stem tissue to root tissue.

You don't want to bury the trunk tissue because it can soften the wood/bark and promote rot.
    That's also why we say to not allow mulch to sit directly against the trunk.

And you don't want to over-expose the roots because they can dry out, overheat, or chill.

Josh

• timsf
    12 years ago

Hi jenn,

A couple years ago I planted 3 Meyer lemons in my front yard, and I too had read to plant the collar just above the soil level. From what I'd read, one does this so as to not develop rot at the trunk/root interface. Additionally, especially for those of us on clay soil, it is recommended to plant on a mound. Below are photos of one of my trees - immediately following planting, at 1 yr, and at present (just shy of 2 yrs.).

Meyer lemon 3: Planted just above the horizontal soil level (you can see a bit of mounding that rises like a volcano from the surrounding soil level).
    {{gwi:557784}}

Meyer lemon 3: 1 yr. after planting. You'll notice that the mounded soil around the trunk has fallen away exposing some thicker roots - not to worry, this is fine. I've also moved the mulching pebbles, expanding outwards. When I did this, I had to add a small amount of topsoil, but you'll see that it was at a level that NEVER covered those thicker base roots.
    {{gwi:557786}}

Meyer lemon 3: 1 yr, 10 months after planting. You can definitely see some of the thicker roots exposed - these will continue to thicken over time. I've groomed the tree a bit by pruning the lower branches; the tree seems to want to grow more wide than tall at the moment.
    {{gwi:557788}}

Tim

• jenn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tim - beautiful!

Thank you both for your replies.

The reason I think they are two different things is this statement I found online about planting citrus:

Plant the tree so the root collar is above the soil line and the top of the root crown is barely below the soil.

You can't plant one thing both above and below the soil... can you? :-)

• jenn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think so... :-) I think it will become clear when we plant it. :-)

• houstontexas123
    12 years ago

usually the area of the trunk closest to the root system. the website below calls it the "root flare" where the trunk flares out and forms a "crown" of roots

nice site on how to properly plant trees w/ pics
    http://www.fotitree.com/treeservices/rootcollar.htm

good video about potted trees and too much soil covering the root crown.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKXhLvfVIB8

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Hey, Jenn, I thought I'd add a pic that will hopefully help.

In this image of my Moro blood orange, you can clearly see the transition from the trunk
    to the root-flare. You can see the point where the green on the trunk abruptly ends,
    and the root-flare immediately below. In bonsai, a great deal of attention is paid to
    developing and displaying the root-flare, which is called the 'nebari.' When I first
    potted my tree, the top of the roots was covered slightly, but now that the roots
    have toughened up, I've pulled back the mix to show off the root-flare.

{{gwi:557790}}

• mcschultz13
    6 years ago

Does a non grafted citrus tree get planted the same way as a grafted tree with the root crown above the soil? And can a non grafted citrus tree be planted in Al's gritty mix? What is the best soil mix for citrus trees? I have heard a good soil with good drainage but can someone tell me of a good soil more specifically? Thank you in advance. Cathy

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor