Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
castorp

Permanent leaf loss with container citrus?

castorp
11 years ago

I have oranges, mandarins, and grapefruits growing in the ground, and they all do pretty well, but when I try to grow more cold sensitive citrus in containers the same thing always happens: there's a cold snap, they lose their leaves, and they never really grow them back again. Branches remain green and flexible. They produce blooms and even a few fruit, but, again, very few leaves. I have a Eureka lemon that hasn't had more than a few leaves in years. . . I had the same thing happen to a potted key lime, and now it seems to be happening to my Persian lime.

I use a light pine-fines based mix (Al's). I use well drained terra cotta pots (no saucers). I have tried re-potting, but the roots never come close to filling out the pot, even though the pots are fairly small: like the leaves, the roots just stop growing.

The trees stay outside all year unless we have a hard freeze, in which case they go to the garage, but even after nine months of hot temps, they stay leafless.

I'm thinking about throwing them out and maybe trying a cold hardy acid citrus (limequat, maybe) that I can plant in the ground, where I have more success. But before I do that, does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Bill

Comments (8)