Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mantis212

Hirado Buntan Pummelo in containers

mantis212
18 years ago

Does anyone have a story or advice for growing Pummelo in pots?

Comments (22)

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Mantis, are you sure it's a Pummelo and not a Kaffir Lime? I've a lime w/the same name, Hirado Buntan, but it's a kaffir.

Either way, they grow like any other citrus..Sun, as much as possible, soil should dry between waterings, well-draining soil, Fertilzier during growing periods w/acidic food like Azalia or citrus food. Daily misting and a humidifer while heat is on. If possible a summer outdoors, by gradually taking out into full sun. That's about it..Toni

• mantis212
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Brite leaf has them for sale, but I bought mine off of Ebay.

Hirado Buntan Pummelo Ex-Large Yellow Nov. - Feb. pink flesh; pick and ripen at room temp 10-15 days Now 5 $15

I do pretty good with Meyers. I am glad to hear they do not have any special needs. I ate one in Califonia once that was as big as a soccerball! MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Mantis, I can't recall if I got mine from Briteleaf or Harris..What do the leaves look like? Are they double or single leaf?
    Is your tree grafted? Toni

• mantis212
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I have not recieved them yet. I just paid for a 3 gal and a 1 gal off of Ebay. I googled and found some great pics...I can't wait....I am having such a mild winter deliveries are flowing!lol

• bencelest
    18 years ago

Mantis: I have been growing pommelos for 4 years now and harvesting its fruits. One of the easiest to grow I think. They don't ask much. Just leave them alone and water and fertilize as needed.
    I'd post some pics soon.

• mantis212
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you Bencelest, I think they are going to make a wonderful addition to my citrus collection. People do not seem to be enthused about/with these. I have tried to start 2 threads in separate forums and you see how this one is going. The word is that they are just like the other citrus. Hard to imagine with the size and taste, that there wouldn't be more Pommelo fans...I will look forward to your pictures.
    Bencelest and Toni, thanks for the info.
    Busy killing Spider Mites, Mantis212

• citrange2
    18 years ago

Beautiful, ornamental, delicious! Yes, I'm a great pummelo fan.
    But it's generally thought you need good, long, hot summers for pummelos to ripen and sweeten. Sadly, here in England, that doesn't happen very often.

• bencelest
    18 years ago

It is one of a topic conversations when they see my "giant large Orange" how they were amazed how big my orange fruits are. 4 of them almost as big as the tree itself. Not too many in my area knows what a pommelo looks like.

• mantis212
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Benecelest, I Love it! How funny... My friends hated Grapefruit and I made them taste this huge volley ball sized fruit(which they thought it was a Chernobyl grapefruit). It was so laugh out load funny to watch there faces turn from expecting a bitter taste ....To MMMmmmmmmm peel me another hand sized wedge please....

Citrange, The awesome thing is that you have mild winters!!! Although it has been mild here it can get Arctic. A plus, for me is my summers are pretty brutal. I hope that means a big juicy crop for me..

Are you currently growing different kinds of Pommelos? I picked Hirado Buntan for its large size and sweetness. Having colored flesh was a plus.

Rubbing my back from looking under every leaf, Mantis212

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Mantis, do you have a Mantis tiller? Is that why you chose that name? LOL
    You're busy killing spider mites? Oh oh..Which plant have these bugs?
    What are you using to kill them? Did you try hosing off leaves, then misting w/2 drops of dish soap and water?? You need to rid these pests. Also, isolate the plant that is infested. You don't want other plants getting these bugs. In fact, while you're at it, check neighboring plants since they tend to visit adjacent plants. Toni

• mantis212
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Lol. I don't really have a bug prob. or a tiller..I love Praying Mantids..
    About the mites, I just give my self funny names. It does seem, I am always upside down or twisted in some kinda way checking for insects. I have had scales in the past but not this winter...Thanks for the concern, those spider-mites are not a laughing matter... 2 years ago I went away and they stripped my Gardenias bare! Hate Them! They all have recovered since...

Waiting for my Pummelos to arrive, Mantis212

• bencelest
    18 years ago

Mantis:
    This is how it looked when I got her:
    {{gwi:557888}}
    A year later it bore some fruit
    {{gwi:557890}}
    then another
    {{gwi:557892}}
    and another
    fruit almost ready to pick

{{gwi:557894}}

Then it was picked

{{gwi:557896}}

• mantis212
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you! That was a pleasure. I love your backyard! All of your posted pictures are inspiring! Gush gush gush!
    Wishing I was a next door neighbor, Mantis212

The scent must be .............wow.......

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Mantis, do you raise Praying Mantiss? I'm curious about them..how do they live? Let's say you breed them for the sake of killing pests on plants, but there aren't any pests, what do they then eat?
    I've seen PM eggs for sale at nursery supply houses. So, do you keep them? Toni

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Mantis, I was reading through the posts/subject, and realized I made a huge error..I was thinking of the lime, Maruitios papeda kinkoji, the spelling might be wrong..I'm so sorry..I was thinking of kafir lime, not Pummelo. Toni

• mantis212
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Every year I buy a couple of egg cases in early spring and put them in a few evergreens around the yard.
    The cases will have a stick or a space where the stick was. If there is a stick, you just tug and twist lightly and it will come out. Then I find a stem on the Yew or Boxwood that's about the same size and slide it into the spot where the stick was. I make sure and keep them hidden from birds and nosey squirrels but exposed to the sun. For me, they do not control enough pests to make a difference in my yard. I really enjoy gardening and running into them through out the summer. The birds are preventing them from becoming to established but every once and a while I will find a egg case that I didn't plant. When they are young they are tiny and eat knats and white flies. as they grow so does there food choices, anything they can catch. I love them in late summer they are big enough to help out with the green crickets and katidids. If you do not mind large insects they are a real blast. In fall they are as big as they get(almost 3") and will have wings. The males are thin and long and the larger females have a leaf shaped abdomin. The girls don't fly but the boys do. The boys fly around franticlly at night trying to find a mate. They are very active at night alot of people find them on there porch, because the night before they were attracted to the light and all the yummy fat moths. Their eyes turn so dark red at night they almost turn black. They have very short lives.
    They will breed lay egg cases and then perish before winter.
    Mantis212

• mantis212
    Original Author
    18 years ago

My Pummelo just arrived! Very fast shipping! It is a Huge 1 gal. 2' of lush dark green growth. Buds busting out everywhere and even a few set Pummeloettes!!! I can't wait for my 3 gallon!!!!!
    cowboyflowerman , is the Ebay seller's name and I am very Thankful!
    Wow! what unique leaves(like green vinyl). Everything is supersized.
    $19 and they have more!
    www.secretgardenrareplants.com is there web site if you have PayPal you are set for mailorder.

• bencelest
    18 years ago

Mantis: You sold me to get one. I am now looking for one.

• mantis212
    Original Author
    18 years ago

In another Citrus forum, I saw one that came from Lowes very recently and it was a 5 gallon for $29. It had the same yellow tag with red writing and robust leaves as my Ebay HB Pummello. Mine is alittle over 2' in a 1 gal. The Lowes in a 5 gal looked to be close to 4'.
    I know Lowes are everywhere and mailorder is almost 'nil' to CA and FL.
    Good luck Bencelest, Mantis212

• bencelest
    18 years ago

Thamks Mantis. There are Home Depots and some Lowes close by. I have a few Chandlers and for grappefruit melogolds and oroblancos.

• Ethane Zizyphus
    18 years ago

I've seen HB Pummelo at Lowes and wondered if it was the same thing as Hirado Buntan, does anybody know for sure?

• mantis212
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes, it is. I am having a blast with mine!