Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jallen26

Key Lime Losing Leaves

jallen26
18 years ago

Hey Everyone, I'm new to growing citrus and found this forum has a lot of great info on it, so I thought this would be the right place to ask a few questions. I have a key lime tree that I got about a week ago thats starting to drop leaves like crazy. It did ok for the first two days, since then its been dropping about 7 or 8 a day. I read that the upper section of roots needs to be very close to the top of the soil or even exposed a little. When I potted them the first time I buried them atleast 1 -2 inches so I uncovered the top sections yesterday. It only seems to be dropping leaves from the middle section of the tree. Also, the leaves that have dropped all started growing a "mini leaf" that attached the existing leaf to the stem, then dropped the main leaf afterwards. I added a link to a photo album with some pictures to help explain that one. The main leaf falls off and leaves this small leaf behind. Does anyone know if this is normal in the winter? Will this small leaf keep growing and replace the main leaf? I have a meyer lemon tree too and its doing great. The key lime is on the right in the picture with both trees. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeremy

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jsallen2682/album?.dir=/8184

Comments (10)

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Jeremy, the double-leaf's shape is normal..at least you know your lime is a Key..the double leaf is a great indication.

I'm thinking your tree is losing leaves because of change of location and repotting, not once but twice. It's in a state of shock. Give it time, and all should be well.

In the meantime, just for good measure, check for insects..Look for webbing, white, cottony patches, shelled immobile scale.
    The inspection is just for caution, I'd bet it's shock. Don't repot again, leave plant in one spot w/o moving around, water soil well, but let dry out between waterings, mist daily, and give the best sun possible. South or west windows are best. Toni

• jallen26
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey Toni, I inspected the tree and I dont see any insects or anything, so luckily thats not a problem. I think I had the woody part of the roots buried a little too far under the soil. I emailed Toby at four winds and he said the top section of roots needed to be exposed a little or a key lime would die within a month. I took a little soil away a couple of days ago and only have had 2 leaves fall since. I guess I was suffocating the poor thing! Thanks for your help.

Jeremy

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Jeremy, good thing you phoned 4winds. Now that spring is nearing, I HOPE, you should see new leaves where the old ones dropped. Little baby foliage will sprout. I notice some of my trees are sending out baby leaves, so that tells me spring is approaching.
    Good luck, and I hope that was the problem..something as simple as a little too much soil..Toni

• Linda Klaas_Silver
    2 years ago

Thank you so much, my indoor key lime tree has been dropping leaves for a while, I us a water gage, and have not seen any disease, I have added stones so I am thinking the roots not showing is the problem, I scooped out excess dirt, hopefully this is the cure. I really appreciate your knowledge

• Silica
    2 years ago

Linda, adding stones to the container was a bad idea. All the stones do is raise the perched water table higher into the container.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    2 years ago

I used a layer of stone in my container and put a window screen over the stones and add a mix of 50% topsoil from my yard and 50% compost from the pile. Planted a poncirus trifoliata and it grew like a weed. I was lucky because I did everything wrong and it grew great.

Steve

• Linda Klaas_Silver
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

thank you for your expertise, I originally put small stones on top of the dirt because there was some small gnats, now I have removed the stones and have the roots showing, I hope this works, but now that you say the water meter doesn’t work, I will start watering it once a week, it is in a ceramic pot. I put citrus fertilizer on it and coffee grounds around every 2-3 months. The flower buds keep coming as well as the fruit, it just looses leaves, I have had this indoor tree for a couple of years, it recently in the past few months started loosing its leaves, I will also try the dowel tip. Thank you , I also used a soil for citrus trees

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    2 years ago

"I originally put small stones on top of the dirt because there was some small gnats." I see, and as you can see, others leaped to the conclusion you used them as a drainage layer.

The gnats can normally be controlled by ensuring your watering intervals are more appropriate. If the top of the soil is allowed to dry down a bit, the lack of moisture makes maintaining viability difficult or even impossible for the bugly uggers.

That the roots are showing is not a problem - in fact, it's best if the roots attached directly to the base of the tree are exposed.

As a side note, the root base of bonsai are a critical part of how the tree is judged by other practitioners. This tree started as a cutting that I inserted in a 1/4" hole in the middle of a plastic dinner plate, cupped side down. As the cutting grew thicker than 1/4", the small hole acted as a tourniquet, limiting the downward flow of sugar/starch and a hormone that stimulates root production (auxin). This forced the tree to grow a new set of roots immediately above the plate, and the plate forced the roots to radiate away from the base in an almost horizontal orientation. Note the grow medium that provides a home for the roots.

Watering on a schedule is ok if the medium you use is very-fast draining and supports a small volume of excess water, but in a very high % of cases "very fast-draining" and "limited amounts of excess water" are wishes yet to be fulfilled. If you water before the plant needs water, you ensure loss of the plant's potential ranging from minor to severe, depending on how much excess water the medium holds and how heavy is the hand on the watering can. Trust the tell to "tell" you when it's time to water. When it comes out barely moist at the bottom, it's time to water, but not before unless the plant shows signs of wilting, which is a stress best avoided when possible, like every other form stress.

If blooms and fruit are hanging on but leaves are not, it's a physiological disorder caused by cultural conditions the plant hasn't been programmed to deal with. Unfortunately, many issues cause loss of leaves - too much/ too little water, a poor or absent nutritional supplementation program, root congestion (note the emphasis). A reduction or large increase in light load, biotic and abiotic pathogens, insect predation, ..... The 3 main causes are over-watering, poor nutrition, and soil compaction, in that order.

You might want to take a closer look at how your maintenance program is structured and make what changes you think are right for you. In the end, our job as growers is little more than figuring out what's holding our plants back from realizing as much of their genetic potential as possible, then fixing the limiting factors to the greatest degree you/we deem reasonable.

Al

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    2 years ago

Al, thanks for being a part of this forum)