Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
serj_sl

My new greenhouse

serj_sl
9 years ago

Hi, guys!

Here is pic of my new citrus greenhouse.

Comments (24)

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

Wow! Looks sturdy.

Will you keep everything in pots?

...or maybe plant something in the ground as well?

Where are you located?

• serj_sl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I live in Ukraine. Yes, all plants are in pots. Yes, i will share other pics later. I have large citrus collection, about 430 varieties.

• tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
    9 years ago

Nice
    Trace

• axier - Z10, Basque Country (Spain)
    9 years ago

430 varieties?!! Wow!
    It is amazing, specially in a cold country like Ukraine!

• petunia_2006
    9 years ago

Is your greenhouse underground?

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Will you plant some in the ground??

How do you heat that greenhouse? I love your idea..

MIke

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Serj, I have been following your greenhouse projects for years on the other forum. It is so interesting. Can't wait to see and read more of this latest one.

Cory

• serj_sl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have two greenhouses, each has size about 3 x 7 meters inside. Yes, it is deepped into ground about 1,45 m. My greenhouses have additional heat by wood heaters. They works 2-3 hours per week then ouside temp is -3 +5 C and 2-3 hours every day then we have about -18 -20 C.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

serj

You have a very impressive greenhouse with many attractive plants. Did you build this yourself and is it your own design. I like the solid block wall. You will never have problems with it. Thanks for sharing your pictures. If I had the room in my yard I would like to build one like yours.

Steve

• serj_sl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, Steve, it's my own design. I buit these greenhouses with my father.

• brooklyngreg
    9 years ago

Hi Serj, I just built a green house in Brooklyn NY zone 7a and its working well with lemons and oranges. When the temps drops to single digits, it hard to keep it over 40 F

I see you have adapted the GH to cold weather and made it work well. Are you harvesting lemons? What zone are you?

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Wow, Serj, very, very nice. Well done. Wood stoves are smart, easy on the electric bill!

Patty S.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

brooklyngreg How about a few pictures of your setup. My GH is very home made It goes up in October and come down in may. It is fabricated to go up in a day and come down in less than 4 hours. That is with one person working on it. It is amazing how much more you get for the money if you can do your own design. You also have the choice to fit it in exactly the space you have.

My GH is made from used window fastened to a frame.

Steve

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

The top is made up of two layers of double glass window for a total of 4 layer of glass. The west end seen above is also 4 layers of glass. The opposite end is only 2 sheets thick. That was my first end completed and I learned from it to do the west end at 4 layers. The south face is only 2 layers. Next year I will have 4 layer on the east and west ends as well as the roof. The south face I will use 3 sheets.

Top view

• serj_sl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Greg, my USDA zone is 5b/6a. Yes, some my lemons are fruiting.

Steve, i see you have amazing greenhouse! May i see how it looks inside?

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Seth, what an amazing greenhouse. Your trees look amazing. Thanks for sharing with us. Very impressive Maggy

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Inside the greenhouse

{{gwi:2124140}}
    Sweetlee tangerine tree in ground, 3 hardy chicago fig trees in 5 gallon buckets, and above 2 bell pepper plants in stack of 3 cans 1 gallon each can. A cherry tomato at the very bottom of the picture above.

{{gwi:2124218}}
    The other sweetlee tangerine tree in ground at the east end of the greenhouse.

{{gwi:2124259}}
    This is a 30 gallon Meyer lemon and a 5 gallon hardy chicago fig.

{{gwi:2124260}}
    This is the other Meyer lemon tree in the greenhouse. The gallon food tins to the right have spinach seeds. There are 23 spinach cans total.

{{gwi:2124261}}
    Meyer lemon pollinated.

The last picture is my sweetlee in a 30 gallon container. This picture was taken before the west wall had any glass.

The video link shows more detail of the inside and plants of the GH

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8-nVd3r8vw

• serj_sl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's nice job, Steve!

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Serj very sharp . Amazing job . Love all the plants you have in there beautiful . Going that way partially underground should save you a lot on your energy costs . I would love to do something like that but I think the deep frost we have here would play havoc with the cement blocks . Love the idea , Great job Serj !!!

Brian

• brooklyngreg
    9 years ago

Hi Steve, I will try to post some pictures soon. Here is a photo of my fig with fruit 2 summers ago.

• brooklyngreg
    9 years ago

Here are my green house pictures when building it. Its zone 7a facing south. I use pressure treated lumber with chemicals, and greenhouse plastic from HD. It reaches 80 degrees on almost all winter sunny days. I keep it above freezing at night with fans from the kitchen window.

• brooklyngreg
    9 years ago

another pic

• serj_sl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Greg, your greenhouse are looking very nice!

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Greg
    You got the idea down. Your greenhouse will be so much better with your own design. wish you well. This is my meiwa and nagami kumquat setup on my rooftop

Steve