Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
This morning in S. Arizona

Posted by jpaz 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 7, 14 at 15:32

Improved Meyer lemons freshly picked this morning from a planted-in-the-ground tree.

I am a long time cactus grower that is only now adventuring into cultivating citrus. Actually, like many locals here I have had several citrus trees (orange, grapefruit, lemons) that were planted as part of the original landscaping for the house - they received no special horticultural treatment -- no fertilizing, pruining.or soil amendments. That will change now -- I hope to learn how to grow them correctly from members of this Forum.

This morning weather at 10:00am was -- cloudless.sky, 65 deg. -- this time of the year we experience occasional cold fronts that drop the nighttime temps to freezing or below -- coldest I remember was last Feb when it got down to 17 deg -- no bad damage to trees (just some temporary leaf curl) or fruit though.

JP

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: This morning in S. Arizona

Lovely photos, JP. It is so nice to live in "citrus country", eh? Hopefully we can dodge frigid temps this winter. We are so very fortunate that this terrible "polar vortex" is not touching us.

Patty S.

o

Ah yes, Patty, we are indeed fortunate. I feel for the people who are enduring the atrocious freezing weather spell up North. I was born and grew up in that kind of climate - I am afraid my eighty-four year old bones would have a hard time adjusting to such weather now (the same for my darling wife)! So I do count my blessings and enjoy every day of warm Arizona sunshine.

JP

This post was edited by jpaz on Tue, Jan 7, 14 at 19:45

o

Oh how I wish I could have this in my backyard! Well maybe someday. Our windchill here was about -20 this morning. I hope someday to move to citrus country! beautiful pictures, enjoy the lemons!

Kris

o

• Posted by jpaz none (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 7, 14 at 19:51

Kris, you wrote:

".......... Oh how I wish I could have this in my backyard! Well maybe someday .........."

I used to express similar wishes -- maybe it will happen for you too. Thank you for your kind comments, Kris.

JP

o

Welcome to the wonderful world of citrus growing.

Larry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here