Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dwarf Meyer and Clementine - fungus gnats!

Posted by eileen_li NY (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 4, 14 at 15:36

I'm hoping someone can help me. For Christmas 2012, I gave each of my children a citrus tree that we potted: a dwarf Meyer Lemon and a Clementine. When the weather got warm, we put them outside. When cold weather began to arrive, I moved them back inside but didn't do anything special other than carrying them in the house - should I have done something? Right now they are situated in front of south facing windows in my living room. Recently we began noticing tiny black flies. Now they are all over the house. Yuck. I sprayed the trees with castile soap/water/vegetable oil combination. I have NOT overwatered the trees at all - in fact the soil is dry as a bone and I think the trees are thirsty but I am afraid to water. I won't use chemicals to treat the gnats. Any other ideas? We left apple cider vineger in jars but no flies were captured. I even considered putting the trees outside overnight to see if it kills the gnats, but am afraid of killing the trees. (It was a whopping 1 degree F here on Long Island last night.) Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks-

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dwarf Meyer and Clementine - fungus gnats!

That will not control fungus gnats, Eileen. The proliferate if your soil is overly wet. And, they will spread to other houseplants. The best product I've ever used is a product called Gnatrol. You can purchase it on amazon.com. Follow the instructions. It take 2 or 3 applications, but it works better than anything I've used. And, it is safe and organic. It is a biologic larvicide and carries the OMRI certification.

Patty S.

o
RE: Dwarf Meyer and Clementine - fungus gnats!

Thanks Patty. Do you think it was the soil we used? I repotted in July. Either way - should I have done something different when I moved the pots inside in the mid fall?

The link below is what I found on Amazon. Is this what you are talking about?

Here is a link that might be useful: Gnatrol on Amazon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here