Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what type of trees or fruit trees grow in north louisiana

Posted by luckydogg83 71328 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 24, 07 at 15:47

do citrus or fruit trees grow in deville or what forest tree grows in deville. and do they withstand cold and wet lands good.
later steve hebert

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what type of trees or fruit trees grow in north louisiana

Citrus, not outside. But you could grow nearly every other kind of non-tropical fruit tree.

o

Hey Steve, There are a lot of people more knowledgeable than me but I'll try to help. I looked up your location and you are in USDA zone 8b which is good for cold hardy citrus. It really depends how much time you want to put into cold protection. I am in South Alabama in 8A and have Satsumas, Changsha, Meyer Lemon, Kumquats, Sanbokan Sweet Lemons, and a Limequat in the ground. This winter my lowest temperature so far was 19 last month. I protect the Satsumas, Lemons and Limequats by sprinklers. The Changshas do well on their on when they get some size on them. Check out some pictures at:
http://picasaweb.google.com/jbwindham/Dec2006Freeze

As far as wet ground goes there you have a problem. Citrus do not like wet ground. They get foot rot. All is not lost though. I'll bet the LSU Ag Center or your local extension agent can tell you the best rootstock for damp soils.
http://www.lsuagcenter.com/
Good luck with the citrus.

Jack

o

Luckdog
You will find the answer to your question here at the LSU agcenter

http://www.lsuagcenter.com/en/communications/publications/Publications+Catalog/Lawn+and+Garden/Fruits/The+Louisiana+Home+Orchard.htm

o

Unless your ground is swamp, you can deal with the wet foot problem by planting on rows or hills. My dad had a small (approx 60 trees, mostly Satsuma) citrus grove south of Montegut. He made rows about 25 ft apart with an elevation of about 1 ft peak to valley. All valleys led to drainage ditches. It worked wonderfully.

As far as cold hardy, even Satsumas will need cold protection below 26 deg F (especially on a clear night).

o

i like that ice trick that u did with your citrus, i have never seen it used in a way to protect the plant from winter damage, even tho this is proly a dumb question i figured i might as well ask, do u think it would work with a meyer tree, in buffalo(upstate NY)?

o

I have my doubts on it working in NY. The upper teens are about the coldest it usually gets here. 14 degrees is the coldest the Satsumas have been exposed to and that was 4 years ago. The coating of ice will insulate the tree just enough to prevent damage. I would imagine this is only a few degrees of protection at the most. The trick to it is to keep the water application rate up high enough. The only drawback to this method is sometimes I get a broken branch or two from the weight of the ice.

o

thatprince,

I have kept a calamondian alive all winter, it looks better than most of my indoor citrus (not that that is good!)..... I think it can be done with around 100 watts of electricity......and some work

the coldest mine has gotten is 41f, when it was -6 f outside
let me know if you want more info

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here