Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnorange_gw

Time For Kumquat Pie!

johnorange
9 years ago

It's a cold New Year's day and a great time to share a kumquat pie recipe. If you like kumquats fresh off the tree, you are sure to love this pie! The recipe is from the Kumquat Growers website:

1 baked pie crust, 9 " (Graham cracker crumb is great)
1 (8 oz.) Cool Whip whipped topping (I make my own)
2/3 cup pureed Kumquats
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup lemon juice
Beat condensed milk and whipped topping. Add lemon juice and beat until thickened. Add pureed kumquats, pour in pie shell and chill in refrigerator for several hours.

Notice this recipe has ingredients from two citrus trees...BONUS! Why waste the lemon zest? I zest the lemons and add it with the lemon juice.

Here are a few photos to bring this recipe to life.

The tree is loaded as usual:

Comments (18)

• johnorange
    Original Author
    9 years ago

De-seeding the fruit is the time-consuming part!

• johnorange
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The pure' will taste just a tad bitter but don't worry. It will be great with the rest of the ingredients added.

• johnorange
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Adding the rest of the ingredients....be sure and follow the directions to the letter. Don't add the lemon juice until the whipped cream and condensed milk are thoroughly mixed. Likewise, wait until last to add in the pure'.

• johnorange
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Once the lemon juice is added, the mixture will begin to thicken. Mix it in well but don't over-mix. Likewise with the pure'....be sure and lick the bowl and the beaters before you wash them!

• johnorange
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Refrigerate for an hour or two before cutting. You can add candied kumquat slices for garnish, add whipped cream as topping, or even do a chocolate topping.

• johnorange
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Now go pick some kumquats and try it!

By the way, this recipe is for the sweet kumquat (Meiwa).

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Thanks john for the recipe. I have to try that with my home grown tangerine and Meyer lemons. My meiwa did not grow. I also think you have a fantastic looking kumquat tree. I have come to the conclusion that it helps a lot when one grows their kumquats in an area 3 zones warmer than where I live.

Steve

• johnorange
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL! Yes, Steve, that probably helps.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    9 years ago

Great recipe. I am gonna try it! Thanks for sharing :)
    ~SJN

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Very nice! Great pics!

Josh

• johnorange
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's difficult to pick a favorite but this one is right up there for me! Please share any improvements with us!

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

About how many kumquats make 2/3 cup of puree? I need to use up some of mine. I have Centennials which are a bit larger than many others. They've been falling off my little tree, so I need to use them. They are probably not quite as sweet as they would have been in February. Do i need more sugar to compensate?

Thanks in advance!

This post was edited by dave_in_nova on Sat, Jan 3, 15 at 12:10

9 years ago

Also, you don't say what size can of sweetened condensed milk.

I would think this would be critical.

Thanks!

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

To my best knowledge, it only comes in one size and all recipes are base on that size.

Steve

9 years ago

Also you say you make your own whipped topping. Do you use sugar and vanilla as well as the cream?

9 years ago

Found a slightly different recipe that also uses 1 lemon, 1 lime, 1 orange (I used Minneola tangelo), and kumquats + cream cheese, vanilla, condensed milk, whipped cream and graham cracker crust.

We tested the filling and WOW!

I would think you could probably substitute more kumquats and drop the lime and orange.

Kumquat Refrigerator Pie

For the crust:
    1 1/2 sleeves graham crackers
    1/4 cup sugar
    6 Tbsp. butter

For the pie:
    1 cup Heavy Cream
    3 Tablespoons Sugar
    8 ounces, Package Cream Cheese, Room Temperature
    1/3 cup Pureed Kumquats (seeded)
    14 ounces, weight Can Condensed Milk
    1 whole Lemon, Juiced
    1 whole Lime, Juiced
    1 whole Orange, Juiced

For the topping:
    1 cup Heavy Cream
    3 Tablespoons Sugar

1. Blend, pound, pulverize or otherwise crumb-up 1 1/2 sleeves of graham crackers. In a small bowl, mix graham cracker crumbs, melted butter and sugar. Press evenly into a deep dish 9" pie plate. Bake in a 350 oven for 7-12 minutes, or until golden. Set aside to cool. (Or buy a ready-made one, but really... why bother? It's so easy to make).

2. Beat the cream and sugar with an electric mixer until it is light and fluffy, and holds its shape well. In a separate bowl, beat the room temperature cream cheese, kumquat rinds, milk, and juices until well combined. Now add the fluffy whipped cream and beat until it is well incorporated. Scoop the filling into the cooled pie shell. Refrigerate overnight before decorating with the additional whipped cream and then serving.

3. Prepare to hear your friends say, "I think they serve that kumquat pie in heaven."

9 years ago

Here's the version my wife made with the previous recipe. Yum!

I'm not sure that the kumquat is the dominant flavor though, due to all the other citrus.

But, I would think you could use whatever you wanted!

It called for 1 cup whipping cream for the inside filling and 1 cup over the top. I don't think it needed the 1 cup on top at all. It kind of diluted the flavor.

• johnorange
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey Dave, thanks for sharing the new recipe!
    You asked how many kumquats makes 3/4 cup of pure'....I'm not sure. I made a triple batch and had pure' left.
    The sweetened condensed milk in the recipe is a 14-oz can.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert