Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
queensinfo

What would you pick

queensinfo
10 years ago

hypothetically (in case my wife sees this), what would you pick as the "best choice" out of the list below (or open to other suggestions)? Best being tasty (prefer sweet over acidic), prolific, and easy to grow in a container (indoor/outdoor). Since i have been sucessful in not yet killing my meyer lemon, i figured why not think about another plant to add.

Page mandarin
Kishu mandarin (4 winds is out of stock)
gold nugget
a satsuma?
cara cara orange
blood orange?
one of the grapfruit hybrids

I am not interested in a kumquat or limes.

Comments (8)

• kev122
    10 years ago

How about Washington sweet naval. Mine is in a container and is growing very well inside. They do great indoors as well as outside. It is in full bloom with new growth as I write. Good luck kev

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

If you are willing to put it in a big pot, I would go with the Cara Cara; I have three in pots on my rooftop terrace and they are all producing in under 2 years... and the flavor is amazing. The first time I tasted a CC, I didn't know what it was; but I knew at that moment I had to have it. BTW, if you have been successful with your Meyer (one of the most sensitive in containers), you should have great luck with the others. For me I would avoid any grapefruit or pomelo in a container; the tree and the fruit are too big to manage easily.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Seedless Kishu. They are rather compact trees, fruit is exceptional, very sweet, zipper skin, seedless. Prolific. One of the top 3 best mandarins in my opinion.

Patty S.

• queensinfo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all. I am not necessarily doing well with my meyer but it isn't dead yet. Lol.

Patty- any recs on where to get the Kishu, 4w is out of stock

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

I would actually wait until FW's has their stock replenished (check with them to see if they can give you an estimate). I have ordered from many places, but, for container citrus, as far as I am concerned, FW does the best with developing root systems. I don't know exactly what they do, to create SUCH healthy, vigorous, expansive root systems, but this is what will give your citrus tree the best advantage. I I never yet been disappointed with one of their trees. I have never lost a single one. And, I don't baby my trees. Did you see the photo of my beautiful Bouquet de Fleurs Sour Orange tree in my thread on Citrus 2013? You might want to see what I'm talking about. That tree is not quite a year old, yet. It has doubled in size. And, when I slid those pots over a bit, all of them had roots growing out the bottoms of those VERY large, tall pots! Now, granted, my trees are outside year 'round, but still, this tree looks like it's been here for 5 years, not 10 months. Other options would be Clifton's, but they ship in soil, and their prices are very expensive, imho. They're very nice folks, but their prices are a bit high. I'm not a fan of Logee's. Have had almost zero success with their plants. You can try Bucks Record Farms in Florida, they have an excellent reputation, I think Mike has bought from them? Now, just my opinion, and others will most certainly offer up theirs. But, Four Winds is consistently excellent. Really, really excellent.

Patty S.

• Ryan
    10 years ago

Im going to say Page. Kishu can be a little tart but the sweetness is more defined - without doubt a great fruit though.

Page would probably be sweeter if they where allowed to ripen long enough. Page has a more complex balanced flavor with plenty of sweetness, not insipid, fruit size is a factor with kishu. It is for me, they are really small and it is a drawback. Page is larger. They would be seedless. Page is one of more ornamental trees out there as well. Page makes some of the finest juice. Either way you go, you will be happy with either. Page is always on the top favorite lists of the most respected citrus enthusiasts for good reason.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Blood orange tree do very poorly in low light situation (inside for the winter)

Both the Washington navel and the owari satsuma do well in lower light and wet soil situation

Edible landscaping in S. Carolina caries 2 varieties of Valencia that also handle low light wet soils better than other citrus. They also graft to C. Macrophyllia which does well up north in potted culture.

Steve

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

For a container citrus in a northern location, I would select any of the earliest ripening Satsumas.

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County