Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
surfhb

Mexican Lime vs Limequat

surfhb
16 years ago

I'm trying to decide whether to plant a mexican lime or a limequat in my yard. I live in coastal southern california. here are a few questions i have:

1. which of these trees would thrive better in this climate?

2) fruit quality- Is there a major size / flavor difference between these two varietals?

3) tree aesthetics- is there a difference in the growth patterns of the trees (i.e. one is more dense or leggy)

any experience you have had with these two trees would be helpful. thanks!

Comments (11)

• orchidguyftl
    16 years ago

I prefer Key Limes, they have a better flavor and texture, though they are not as tolerant to cold temps as the limequat. They grow similar so it will all depend on your winter temps

• citrusboy
    16 years ago

I thought that I preferred Key Limes because of the flavor and compact, upright growing habit of the tree. But now I prefer the Eustis Limequat. More Juice, almost the same lime flavor, but very leggy. My actual Favorite is the bearss lime. Leggy as well.

• softmentor
    16 years ago

limequat also has the advantage of flowering several times per year and then having fruit that is ripe several times per year. the fruit can vary a lot is size from about the same size as Mexican lime to a little less than half the size. they are a little different in taste, but not much. limequat is still distinctly lime flavor.
    Mexican will have a lot more fruit but only for one season per year.

• citrusenthusiast
    16 years ago

You may want to consider a third choice. Look for one fairly new to California called the "Castello Lime" the fruit is a little larger than the mexican lime and it is seedless like the bearss. If you decide on the mexican lime try to get the "thornless" version. It usually produces less fruit but still should be enough for personal use as they don't hold on the tree for long periods anyways. But when it comes time to prune and harvest you will be happier with no thorns.

• orchidguyftl
    16 years ago

My mexican lime flowers and fruits constantly throughout the year
    I am never without flowers or fruit

• citrusenthusiast
    16 years ago

My apologies! I sometimes forget that different climates can have a dramatic effect on fruit production and even characteristics.

• softmentor
    16 years ago

orchid,
    that is good to know, it's clearly a one season tree here, but we do have a VERY different climate.
    dittos citruse,
    that is... unless..... Orchid, any chance you have a limequat? try tasting the rind, is it a little bit sweet?

• orchidguyftl
    16 years ago

nope
    its a key/mexican lime
    They should be everbearing, UNLESS it is a "thornless key lime" whick is crossed with limequat and not everbearing

• softmentor
    16 years ago

the reason I ask is that there have be limequat sold under the name mexican lime.

• dennyatcrfg
    11 years ago

What have you decided? I have all three Limequat in my garden. I use the juice in place of lime juice. Only Tavaras limequat producing but I have hope for the Eustis and Lakeland to fruit this year. If you are looking for Lime juice I would look for Bearss (Persian) lime. My Tavaras provides juice all year and is very ornamental with its copious amount of teardrop yellow fruit all year long.