Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
leaves curling

Posted by ancfan 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 14, 10 at 16:33

I have a mandarin(drawf)orange tree that has oranges on it that are almost ripe, but the leaves are curling up. Is this normal?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: leaves curling

NO...

Is this tree indoors or out? In a pot or ground? Where do you live?

The leaves should be flat no matter how much fruit or how ripe..

I would check first for any insect sucking the leaves dry, underneath the leaves with a magnifying glass..if you suspect insects treat as asap.

Are you watering enough or too much. Dehydrated plants can cause curling up.

Are you providing to much light and not enough root warmth?

Are the conditions for your tree hot and dry from being indoors?

I hope this is a start to figure your problem...

Mike

o

Thanks Mike, the drawf trees (mandarin and meyer lemon) are on our back porch, they get a little light, I'm sure they are warm enough. I live in the sierra foothills in CA they are in lg pots. I will check for insects.

o

You probably won't be able to see mites with the naked eye, if they are the problem. definatly if you can, invest in a good magnifying glass. Next to a water meter of some sort, that will be the best thing for your plants..:-)

If you don't get one, spray the tree for insects to be on the safe side anyway, especially under the leafs and the entire plant..;-)

o

It might make a difference....are the leaves curling UP or curling UNDER?

Just to add to Mike's comment about the spider mites, if I may: most people can barely see them with the naked eye, but they ARE visible. A cheap-o magnifying glass is all you need, really. You can find decent, inexpensive ones at most grocery stores or pharmacies.

o

Lol..

Rhizzo, I can't even read the price tag on a new pair of shoes...That could be my problem..lol

Maybe I would do fine with a cheap magnifying glass if I used glasses too to see close..

Have a great weekend Rhizzo...:-)

Mike..:-)

o

Algerian???? I think it's my algerians but I forgot what I planted where.... Anyway, there is one variety of mandarin that has somewhat curled leaves. They are worse on trifoliate rootstock. Does the lemon do it to? If not then you may be fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here