Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrslizzykate

free fixer-upper orange trees SF CA

MrsLizzy K
9 years ago

Family in the East Bay (of San Francisco Bay Area, California), has two older orange trees in pots to give away. One is in a 1/2 wine barrel, and is at least 6 feet tall and heavy, so you'd need a truck. The other is in a pot that I'll want to keep so bring a big bag. Okay, the important issues: what are they? I think they are both blood oranges, but one might be some sort of marmalade orange--small and sweet smelling but not for fresh eating. I could wait till next season to figure out, but we need the space now. They will both be significantly root bound, and were very badly pruned by lawn-care people. So these aren't prizes, but I'm reluctant to throw them out for sentimental reasons. I don't live in town, so we'd have to schedule a week in advance. Any takers?

Comments (6)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

I am very interested but I live 2000+ miles away. If you could post pictures of them that might help you find a home. Any citrus tree of fruiting size is a catch. Best place to find a home is Craigslist or local. I have tried here with 0.00000% success. I found homes for 2 rescued bold cypress trees that were in the ground and they had to dig them up.

Good luck
    Steve

PS This is the tree I tried to unsuccessfully give away here so I decided to keep it. A picture is worth a 1000 words.

• MrsLizzy K
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the tip Steve! I'll take pics of the trees next time I'm up there. Hey, that's a nice little tree in your photo. Maybe it's a good thing you got no takers!

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

Poncirusguy, what is that tree and do you still want to give it away?

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

It is a sweetlee tangerine tree from seed. I have been told that it is an orange tree of early ripening. of around October to start. I also have a poncirus trifoliata that I don't know what to do with. I would like to trade it for an equal amount of potting soil. The container, dirt and tree/trees can go. I won't have access to the Sweetlee tangerine tree you are referring to because it is in the greenhouse and the only access is from a window 6 feet up and down a step ladder.

{{gwi:599903}}
    Poncirus trifoliata 8-25-13 pictured date. The tree is 2 summers growth old when pictured and now fuller with a 3rd summers growth but I don't have any pictures. It is now bare.

This is a current picture of sweetlee after a winter outside in a greenhouse with many temperature drops down to as low as 32F

Steve

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

Well, if next summer you still want to trade it away (the Lee tangerine, I mean) I might be able to do it. I come down to the Cincinnati area 2-3 times each year.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

raee

I am still interested in trading the sweetlee tangerine tree. I would like to share the facts and myths of the tree so you know what you are getting.

1) The container is a 28 gallon half barrel.

2) The soil mix is 2/3 Miracle grow potting mix 1/3 backyard topsoil.---Very heavy

3) I got the seeds from a "sweetlee" tangerine. All the seeds were mono-embryonic.

4) Many knowledgeable think this fruit was an orange or Lee tangerine marketed as "sweet".

5) The tree does most of it's growing in fall, winter , and spring. They grow like weeds.

6) Does well in lower light than other citrus. All blood orange and Meyers died (low light)

I am very happy with my 2 in ground sweetlee trees. The strongest tree put on about 40 feet of total new twig growth starting in January up to now.

The container tree weighs around 100-200 pounds and it will take several people to move this tree to the street.

I have approximately $40 in the container with the soil mix. Because the soil is so heavy you may want to bare root it and put in your own mix and a smaller container. You can have the tree for free. I have a very hard time letting go of my containers and soil mixes but you can have the tree for free. If you could trade the equivalent in potting soil that would be fine with me. My wife and I are retired and have to watch our resources carefully

Steve